cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Carolina

jbreech
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody spent November and December in North Carolina ? Like to know what the temperature would be like for those to months.. And would South Carolina be better .
Thanks for any information on the to Carolina .
24 REPLIES 24

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine has been going to his condo in Myrtle Beach for about 6 years, just put it on the market with plans to look in southern Fl. where it's warmer.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived 2 years in Myrtle Beach about 50 years ago. It didn't but could get below freezing. Most of November-February it was too cold for the heat pump and we had to run resistance heating as emergency heat. Weather was mostly gray, and when wet, just cold rain but sometimes freezing rain. If the roads iced up, everything stopped until the weather warmed up.

Most of my work took me inland 50-100 miles, where it was often below freezing. Overcoat or lined trenchcoat over coat and tie was adequate for trips from car to a building. More time outdoors, I wore my Michigan winter gear.

My duties took me into three counties in N.C. They weren't much different from the six I worked in NE S.C., coastal and coastal plain.

N.C. has a lot more variation, actual coast, coastal plain, piedmont, Appalachian mountains have quite different climates. The mountains can get serious winter weather, though the worst of that is on the Tennessee side.

I'm from Michigan, would consider snowbirding there sticks and bricks (because I still like at least a little winter weather) but not in a RV which might be marginally insulated for the cold spells. If I didn't want to deal with winter weather, I'd be somewhere south of Savannah, and to stay above freezing most of the time, Fort Myers or beyond.

My daughter lived a couple years at Fayetteville, on the N.C. coastal plain, and it could get really cold. But she could drive to Wilmington, where temperatures were moderated by an ocean too big to freeze.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
mtnman1989 wrote:
I live in NC with most of my family and also have relatives in SC. I winter in Florida and I have fun calling all my relatives in NC & SC and remind them that I am enjoying 70 degrees days while they are here in 30 degree days.
mtnman
\\

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

man, that cruel, ha ha. but I do the same thing.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
I live in NC with most of my family and also have relatives in SC. I winter in Florida and I have fun calling all my relatives in NC & SC and remind them that I am enjoying 70 degrees days while they are here in 30 degree days.
mtnman

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Compared with Montreal, only having snow 45 times in 74 years is a gamble I'll take! :B

hah hah! Compared with Montreal winters, Finland looks like the tropics :B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Well Ron you're not alone, my neighbor here in Montreal thinks l'm nuts; he winters in Arizona. :C

... Eric

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Compared with Montreal, only having snow 45 times in 74 years is a gamble I'll take! :B

Over the past 4-5 years, I can recall seeing snow three times and it was typically gone the next day. This past winter, February and March were really nice.

... Eric

I really prefer shorts & T shirt and sitting on the patio, Personally would not be at all interested in weather that cool.
pawatt

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Over the past 4-5 years, I can recall seeing snow three times and it was typically gone the next day. This past winter, February and March were really nice.

... Eric

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
We also have friends in the Daytona area but their weather hasn't been all that much warmer than our's in the past 2-3 years.

Hi Eric:

We would have loved to winter in Myrtle Beach area, however, friends of ours that have wintered there for ~15 years warned us that it snows fairly regularly (about once every 2 to 3 years). We checked the official records, and yes, since 1940, here are the snow falls on Myrtle Beach:

Myrtle Beach has had 45 snow-days from 1940 to 2014; for a total of 77 inches. The snow-day interval is about every 2.2 years; the standard deviation per snow-day event is 3 inches. They had 9 inches in Feb 1973; 7 inches in March 1983; a whopping 14 inch blizzard in December 1989. The mean number of snow events per year since 1940 is 0.25 (frequency). Unfortunately, all the snow events since 1940 have been surrounded by some pretty brutal cold snaps lasting several months. For us, the most miserable thing that could happen to us as snowbirds, is ice storms. Unfortunately, South Carolina (the Myrtle to Wilmington areas) have as many ice storms as snowfalls (a surprising number catastrophic ice storms it appears), to fill in the years when it isn't snowing: 46 ice storms. The frequency of severe ice storms is 1 every 9.7 years; the frequency of moderate ice storms is 1 every 2.1 years.

Lets compare this to the closest "snowbird destination" in North Florida (on the Atlantic coast):

It has snowed only twice; once in 1917 (2 inches), and once in 1951. Tampa even got a dusting in 1917. So, the chance of snow in St Augustine (let alone a Carolinas blizzard) is infinitesimally small compared with Myrtle Beach (Myrtle once every ~2.2 years). This being said, the continuous snows that do happen in Myrtle are only from 1 day to 4 days long. So, if you balance this with any compelling personal reasons to winter in Myrle (like majority of friends wintering there; etc; etc), some will take this chance.

I haven't done the statistics for temperatures in Myrtle to plunge below freezing from December till end of March yet...

For us, it is north Florida (St Augustine).
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Court ordered or Ex? ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm staying out of North Carolina.

jbreech
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information on Gulf Shores state park i will check it out .

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Hi Dan,
We winter in Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We have thought about Florida on occasion but all our friends are in Myrtle Beach and we've been going there for many years. We also have friends in the Daytona area but their weather hasn't been all that much warmer than our's in the past 2-3 years.

Last year we commuted back and forth three times for family reasons and MB is only a 2-day drive. It's also cheaper than Florida to be right along the beach. I guess after all these years we feel at home there.

... Eric

Thanks for the explanation Eric. We like Myrtle Beach Travel Park very much. Was there for a week the beginning of April and last year for two weeks as well. Nice park.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider Gulf Shores State Park, Alabama. You can spend the whole winter there not just the typical state park - 2-week time. Beautiful beach, good restaurants and shopping and lots to do in the area. It won't be toasty warm but it's not cold like Ohio. ๐Ÿ™‚ The park is huge with big sites and full of snowbirders. It's a fun place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel