cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern PA suggestions

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a short week trip in July to Pa., I've always wanted to check out the fishing. Looking for something similar to a state park with bigger more spaced out sites, hookups are optional. Need to have decent pond, river, or small lake warm water fishing nearby that I can do with a canoe as opposed to large lakes. I'm thinking west, of Scranton and north of I80, the more remote the better. I'll be traveling from New England.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
16 REPLIES 16

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
Promised Land S.P. is one of our absolute favorite places. Pickerel Point is thee best. And coming from Western Mass would be a relatively smooth drive as the S.P. is not too far off I84. And the I84 climb on the east side of the Delaware River will surely test that EcoBoost. ๐Ÿ™‚
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, plenty to pick from. Appreciate the help.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
Promised Land State Park, PA. (has two lakes, we had our canoe in both. good fishing from what I saw)

Lackwanna State Park, PA. (great fishing from what I saw, we had our canoe in)

if you want a smaller lake and lots of other things to do, Otter Lake Campground. a private camp ground with a private lake. we have had out canoe in, there are fish to be caught. a much smaller lake.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

BoarderExman
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Promised Land State Park real nice lake, trolling motors only, several good options for campsites. If you can go during the week you won't have any problems getting reservations. Another option would be Ricketts Glen State Park beautiful adirondack style lake plus a trail with many gorgeous waterfalls, personally I think its PAs best state park. Campsites are harder to come by there but if you can get in you won't be disappointed.
Mark,
Wife and 2 kids(daughters)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lyman Run is decent. Pretty small, quiet. I believe the lumberman's festival goes on over the 4th.

We LOVE Sinnemahoning. I've seen first hand the bass they take out of the lake during a tournement. Park is small and quiet with trails and stream next to it. Not to mention elk viewing.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We like the cg's in Allegheny National Forest south of Bradford. There are dry, electric, or full HU sites depending on the cg. Some dry sites are have water access to the reservoir formed by the Kinzua dam.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering Presque Isle which we visited when camping & fishing nearby at Geneva State Park. I never saw anybody stand in Lake Erie to fish before, but they were doing it here off the peninsula. There were several independent campgrounds just before we entered such as Sara's Campground which seem reasonably priced. Sorry I don't have first hand experience.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/presqueisle/
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga Hammond Lakes is a COE facility with water and electric hookups mand large sites north of Mansfield,Pa of Rt15.Can't tell you about the fishing.10 miles north of there is Cowanesque Lake is another COE Campground and I know my cousin used to fish there.Promised Land State Park has a brand new section on Pickeral Point with full hookups and new bath houses.It's on a pininsula and you're surrounded by water.It's north of I80 about 30 miles from the Jersey border.

J2
Explorer
Explorer
A remote state park with a small lake. Check out Lyman Run SP. We spend a few days last year here Day time you would have the beach open with a small crowd. at night about 6 camper in the whole place nice clear skies at night very peaceful. You can buy firewood along the road on the way in.

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
How about here here Lots of water and camping. The preserve.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
jeomelia wrote:
PA State Parks are 100% reservable and tend to fill up on weekends once the weather warms up, so plan ahead and enjoy

That's why I'm thinking arrive Sunday and leave Friday, or some such. But I will make reservations if I can.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PaYahoo101
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorites is a Federal Flood control project north of Mansfield, near Wellsboro. I think full hook ups are like $30 something. If you have an America Is Beautiful Pass it is like $18 if I remember. corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=E140102
Check out Hammond Lake

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
Lackawanna State Park near Scranton if you enter PA on I81from the North has a lake and is close to Steam Town US Park Service railroad museum.
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
PA State Parks are 100% reservable and tend to fill up on weekends once the weather warms up, so plan ahead and enjoy
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."