cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean Lakes - Myrtle Beach SC

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but I did want to pop a quick review at the end of our stay here.

First of all, the place is huge. The sites are a mix of back-ins, pulls throughs, sand and grass, and concrete. There are also a bunch of cottages. All together there are close to 900 sites, and even off season the occupancy rate seems to be about 65%. It's hard to say because the maintenance staff plays some kind or musical chairs game with empty sites and the trailers they store for the winter, even thought there's a storage lot across the street. Also, one entire section is closed for the construction of a water park, which may explain the apparent occupancy rate. But there's no way around it, the place is big.

Everything you need is either on the property or within biking distance. On site there are several bath houses, a small store, laundry, a cafe type place to eat, golf cart rentals, and RV repair service.

There's a Walmart grocery across the boulevard, a super Walmart a mile away. There's a Camping World a mile away, and mobile service from Carolina RV. Enterprise car rental in Myrtle (not the airport) has pick up service right to your site.

There's a full liquor store about a mile south on business route 17 (something funky about SC liquor laws - beer and cigarettes are in a separate store from wine and liquor), and restaurant row north on Bus 17. We can recommend the Noizy Oyster for seafood. Get the steam bucket for 1 and an order of mussels.

Our site was 1 row back from the Atlantic Ocean beach.

It just doesn't get any better.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
25 REPLIES 25

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Are they putting the water park between Ocean Lakes and Pirateland? I remember when the original amusement park was open. When I was a kid it had an entrance from Pirateland across a bridge.

Glad you enjoyed it. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from Pirateland and Ocean Lakes. We'd go down there every year in our '76 Winnebago Brave. Someday I'd like to get back down there, ideally in my RV.

Pirateland is NOT beside Ocean Lakes. Lake wood, and Pirateland are beside each other. OL is down the beach couple hundred yards from them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Beavis01350
Explorer
Explorer
We love the place, it's my daughters favorite. She wants us to win the lotto and move the 5'r there...
Shawn McGill

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max W/ bagges CCSB
2016 Carbon 297 Toy Hauler

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in SC beer, wine, can be sold just about anywhere, but not anytime. Counties/Towns have to approve Sunday beer or wine sales. Liquor stores can sell liquor, wine, and mixers. Liquor stores have state set hours, closed on Sunday's, and have limitations in regards to locations relative to schools and churches. There are many beverage stores that have two sides ( and two doors) one for beer and wine sales and one for liquor.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
sounds pricy? but 900??????????? a small City.

They had their own Post Office when we went there!

jplante4, thanks for your post.... glad you enjoyed your self! We hope someday to get back down there!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes also has a web cam. Pool, putt-putt course, beach, and main entrance road. Plus now they have a construction cam for the new waterpark.

Ocean Lakes Webcam

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but I did want to pop a quick review at the end of our stay here.

First of all, the place is huge. The sites are a mix of back-ins, pulls throughs, sand and grass, and concrete. There are also a bunch of cottages. All together there are close to 900 sites, and even off season the occupancy rate seems to be about 65%. It's hard to say because the maintenance staff plays some kind or musical chairs game with empty sites and the trailers they store for the winter, even thought there's a storage lot across the street. Also, one entire section is closed for the construction of a water park, which may explain the apparent occupancy rate. But there's no way around it, the place is big.

Everything you need is either on the property or within biking distance. On site there are several bath houses, a small store, laundry, a cafe type place to eat, golf cart rentals, and RV repair service

There's a Walmart grocery across the boulevard, a super Walmart a mile away. There's a Camping World a mile away, and mobile service from Carolina RV. Enterprise car rental in Myrtle (not the airport) has pick up service right to your site.

There's a full liquor store about a mile south on business route 17 (something funky about SC liquor laws - beer and cigarettes are in a separate store from wine and liquor), and restaurant row north on Bus 17. We can recommend the Noizy Oyster for seafood. Get the steam bucket for 1 and an order of mussels.

Our site was 1 row back from the Atlantic Ocean beach.

It just doesn't get any better.

No back-in spots that I have seen. All are pull- thru.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

$60-$65 summer & $40 or so now. Great place. Heading there in 12 days, 8 hours & 47 minutes but who is counting?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Are they putting the water park between Ocean Lakes and Pirateland?

Nope. It's going in to the right of the main road about 10 rows back from the beach.
Jerry & Jeanne

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Are they putting the water park between Ocean Lakes and Pirateland? I remember when the original amusement park was open. When I was a kid it had an entrance from Pirateland across a bridge.

Glad you enjoyed it. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from Pirateland and Ocean Lakes. We'd go down there every year in our '76 Winnebago Brave. Someday I'd like to get back down there, ideally in my RV.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
dupe
Jerry & Jeanne