cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon/Washington motorhome trip

shelia_williams
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are doing a west coast motorhome trip in June/July and I am trying to figure out what is our best route/plan for Oregon and Washington. We are travelling from Birmingham, Al in a 40 foot motorhome with 4 slides (tow a car for sightseeing) and going west by way of Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and then hitting Yosemite in California and then Pebble Beach. My husband's bucket list includes playing golf in every state so we are hitting each state he hasn't played in the west and on our route back. As I look at the map of Oregon and Washington, there is so much to do and we have from 7/3 to 7/19 that we could devote to these two states. We are mid to late 60s but in good health and physically fit so we can do walking/hiking etc. We spend about half our time at the beach at the gulf coast so we love the coastal environment. He still works from wherever we are so wifi is important to us in campgrounds and prefer to have full hookups (50 AMP) with a pull thru site--roughing it smoothly as our motorhome says on the back! From Pebble Beach, I thought we would drive through the Redwood National Park on our way to Oregon and just overnight and then finish the drive to Oregon. Any suggestions for campgrounds on this leg would be appreciated. Our first stop will be around the Bandon area as he wants to play golf at Bandon Dunes. I am looking at Oceanside RV Park in Coos Bay as it looks like it could accomodate us with a full hookup pull thru site but I am not finding any reviews of it. Any thoughts or other suggestions? I like to spend at least 2 nights, preferably 3 at a campground and go out and explore the surrounding area in the tow car. We will have from 7/3 until 7/19 to explore Oregon and Washington (yes, I know it looks like we could spend a couple of months but have to be in Nebraska to visit family by 7/30). I know we want to do the Columbia River Gorge area (stay in the Portland area?) and Seattle but would like suggestions on routes/places to see/campgrounds to fill in these days of the trip as well as any other areas that we should not miss while we are travelling in this area. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two weeks for OR/WA? Thats about 6 weeks to short. Heck you could spend 2 weeks on the Oregon coast and not see it a third of it. Might want to rethink your ideas. Either cut out the PNW or plan more time.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mt. St Helens for day trip in toad. Leave MH closer to I-5. There is two visitor centers. Best one is Coldwater Ridge.
East of Portland on US 26 is Government Camp and access to Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood. Leave MH in Portland or Rhododendron and take toad.
Too bad you do not have more time. The north Cascades Loop via WA SR20 and retuning west on US 2 is very scenic. Winthrop, WA is a western motif town and Leavenworth, WA is a Bavarian motif.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker