cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outer Banks or Fla panhandle? Compare

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of visiting either the Outer Banks of NC (Okracoke, etc.) or the panhandle of FL (St. Joseph Peninsula, Henderson Beach, etc) in a couple of weeks. Those of you who have been to both, could you compare and contrast them for me?

I have fond memories of the Florida Keys from when I was a youth. My parents took me there several winters for about a week each time. I liked the ocean views on both sides of the highway, the palm trees, the beaches. But the Keys are farther away than I want to drive right now, and of course they're so crowded with tourists... I don't like crowds. I have a separate reason to travel to South Carolina, and on the way I figure on either going a bit north or a bit south before returning to OK. Which of the two shores would you recommend?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
18 REPLIES 18

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We've lived in nc for 9 years and never been to the outer banks. I think we may go next year sometime.

We've been to the panhandle. Stayed at St. Andrews st park in Panama City beach and at topsail hill state preserve near destin. We like topsail hill. FHU does about $40 but hard to get reservations for.

I want to go to key west chat was the one place I monetized when we just got our motorhome as a trip for next year. You do know that keys west is only a few hours more of a drive than the outer banks, right?

My opinion is dips you are going that far, go all the way to key west. Stop along the way and stay a couple days in the panhandle.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a wee bit farther and a lot less crowded would be the Gulf Coast from St. Marks down to Cedar Key. Lots of small rural coastal towns ,fishing, beaching, boating . Campgrounds tend to be nice , mom and pop places . A guy could do a lot worse !

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The Pan handle has lots of RV parks & State Parks, Blue, warm water & White sand. The outer banks has 2 parks, brown sand & gray, cold water.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Love the gulf coast. We go every year.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite is Henderson Beach. Beautiful, spacious and private camping spots. Shopping is close, but you wouldn't know it while in the park.

The beach is beautiful (a short walk away on the boardwalk). The place is the cleanest campground we have ever visited. Aaaand the bathrooms and showers are air conditioned.

We went to the OBX for many years. A previous poster was correct, it all has just gotten too "rushed" "rude" and trashy.
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I been to both places, they are quite different, hard to explain just how. I wouldn't RV in either place, rather stay in resorts, because I don't care that much for camping on the shore, would rather be there with a boat than RV.

OBX is on the Atlantic Ocean, routinely has bigger surf, colder water. You can fish the ocean or fish the back bays. When it is calm, you might go to the beach. With a small boat you can explore the inland waters, with a seaworthy boat you can go out into the ocean. On good surfing days, you can surf.

Florida Gulf Coast, especially the "Gold Coast" areas Pensacola to Panama City, has gorgeous beaches, more usually calm waters for swimming, warmer water for most of the year. Beaches are mostly carbonate, sand structure that sticks together well where wet, goes sugary where dry. Low wave energy means the beaches are wide, shallow slopes. The Gold Coast area has a resort atmosphere, not just hotels but resort communities, some pretty high class, others more affordable.

Around past Panama City, where the coast faces more to the west and wave energies are higher, the beaches are steeper and more narrow, like you find on the windward ocean shores. This area is not so developed. Because it is not so developed, it is not so crowded. Reminds me more of the Gulf Coast beaches around Port Aransas, Mustang Island.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
You have more of everything on the Outer Banks. Restaurants, campgrounds, people, rude people, ruder people, crowds everywhere, all day and all night.
I'll take fewer of everything along the panhandle, especially east of Panama City.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice. Then sun sets from the campground beach are awesome. Also there is a funny little resturant right outside the park called Cone Heads that has good food at reasonable prices - even dog friendly outside and can get beer and wine. It's a little different but the waiters are cool and efficient.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
If you like beautiful beaches and don't like crowds....St. Joseph SP is your place. You can see individual campsites here.

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/St-Joseph-Peninsula-State-Park
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info and opinions, thanks. The 'forgotten coast' stretch sounds like just the place for me. Glad to hear that the St. Joe Peninsula isn't crowded and the beach is so close. Big surf and strong breezes aren't a plus for me, although some breeze to keep the bugs away is a good thing. I think I'll leave OBX for some possible future trip along the east coast.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We had never been to the FL Pandhandle other than Panama City/Pensacola area before this April. Had been to the OBX several times. To us OBX and the Pananma City/Pensacola ares are about the same - tourist kind of places. We time we did the St Joe area and stayed at the St Park on the Peninsula and were very impressed. Great baeches with few people. A long drive to things but we liked it much better than the crouds at OBX.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

craigt
Explorer
Explorer
The national park at Ocracoke has no hook-ups and the two campgrounds in town are not on the beach. Much windier on the ocean too. Generators are allowed until quiet time.

Henderson Beach is right in Destin with a WalMart across the street and LOTS of traffic in the summer. W/E only. You can still see condos along the 3 mile stretch of beach.

St. Joseph Peninsula is about 30 minutes from the closest supermarket so take what you need. Just a short boardwalk to the beach. Ocean Breeze area is more open than Shady Pines, so you catch more of the breeze there. Six miles of beach so there is plenty of room. W/E only.
Craig & Susan
Roadside Dogs "Buddy", "Lily", & "Murphy"
F-150, Reese HD, Prodigy
Springdale 256 RLL

1rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Outer banks = Ocean

Fl Panhandle = Gulf of Mexico

I prefer the warm calm waters of the Gulf

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you enjoy swimming the Florida water is warmer.
If you enjoy surf, the OBX water has bigger surf

Jack L
Jack & Nanci