cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outer Banks?

rheo1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, were thinking about stopping in the Outer Banks next month on our way back from Myrtle. We've never been there. Any recommendations for a real nice place to stay a couple nights or so? We have 40' 5thwheel. We want to be ocean front if possible.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some ideas.
Rheo1
8 REPLIES 8

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
As I am sure there are places in every state that are beyond expectations. The outer Banks is one for us. We went when Our Govment decided to shut down but low and behold still had a great time. We will go back. We stayed at Camp Hatteras and could not ask for more. Did I mention Sunrise And Sunsets to be remembered. The KOA was really nice also and there are several more to choose from. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rheo1 wrote:
Ok, thanks. I will check them out. What would be a good route if you know one from Myrtle?

Just take 17 north east from MB to Jacksonville, NC...24 toward Morehead City where you'll pick up 70 to Cedar Island for the ferry to Ocracoke (2 hours). Reservations are available, a good idea. (If you have the time, pause for lunch on the way in the town of Beaufort, NC. Nice NC Maritime Museum with artifacts from Blackbeard's ship, Queen Anne's Revenge, and the wonderful Old Burying Ground.)

On the banks, I'd spend a night at the Ocracoke NPS campground (dry camping, no hookups, reservations available) next to the dunes on Ocracoke Island and enjoy the charming little village atmosphere. Lighthouse, but not open for visits. Pony pens where you learn about the wild horses.

Then take the free 30 minute ferry up from Ocracoke to Hatteras. Near the Hatteras ferry dock is the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. Of course, see Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.

Then you can head up on the banks on NC 12. I liked Ocean Waves.

I think Bodie Island Lighthouse is open again after some restoration.

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Hatteras and the KOA are both nice. You can't go wrong either way. When weather is warm I would give the edge to the KOA because their new pool and hot tub are awesome! If you go to the lighthouse for a visit stop by Buxton Munch for lunch. Great food and cheap!!!! Tell them the lively little campers sent you!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while and both have had some reconstruction due to one of the last hurricanes, but we preferred Camp Hatteras as the sites were a little nicer. All that may have changed by now.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
samsphones wrote:
Camp Hatteras is our favorite, little pricey but very nice. Koa next door also looks nice and priced about the same. Ocean Waves also looks nice and is lower priced but fills up quickly.

I agree with samsphones. These are the best of the lot. I use Camp Hatteras for no particular reason other than habit, I guess. Started going there years ago, before KOA had to rebuild due to hurricane.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

rheo1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks. I will check them out. What would be a good route if you know one from Myrtle?
Rheo1

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time, and the weather is nice, take the Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke island(2hrs), then the Ocracoke Ferry to Hatteras(45 minutes). From there, it is about a 45 minute ride to the Rodanthe Waves area, You can choose from the newly refurbished KOA, or Camp Hatteras next door. I like Camp Hatteras in April due to the concrete pad sites and indoor pool and Hot tub. Both CG,s are Ocean front, but not Ocean view. You can also get sound front sites with water view at Camp Hatteras.
Full timing it since July 2012

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Hatteras is our favorite, little pricey but very nice. Koa next door also looks nice and priced about the same. Ocean Waves also looks nice and is lower priced but fills up quickly.