cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Palo Dura Canyon camping

autiger74
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on spending a few days in Palo Dura Canyon in July. any suggestions on best camp sites?
9 REPLIES 9

autiger74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help. I think I'll try for Mesquite.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
We have stayed there twice, last year and also in 2011. We stayed in site 85 one year and site 81 the other. Both were easy back-ins and more than sufficient for our 40 footer - a 45 footer would have easily fit in both. You site is assigned upon arrival but you will have your pick of what is available for your stay.

That's right, when you get to the area of your assigned site and you see a site that you would rather have just go to the camp host and request a change of site. If they haven't already given it out you likely will be able to switch.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there twice, last year and also in 2011. We stayed in site 85 one year and site 81 the other. Both were easy back-ins and more than sufficient for our 40 footer - a 45 footer would have easily fit in both. You site is assigned upon arrival but you will have your pick of what is available for your stay.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
We hosted there in 2011. You really can't go wrong with any of the campsites for scenery. It is correct that Sagebrush & Mesquite have 50 amp outlets. Hackberry has the most wildlife roaming around. We'll be there in a couple of days, we'll need 50 amps but for our space heaters!!
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
In July? It is a tough place to be. Anywhere away from the 50 amp service.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Great place to camp. Should be pretty this year with all the moisture. July can be hot we went down in the spring, and it was really nice. Enjoy.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that the TV and cell reception is better in Mesquite. We stayed at Hackberry three years ago in April and it got hot. I hope you have two air conditioners for camping in July. One of the prettiest spots in Texas. Great mountain biking trails.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Looking for full hookups? 50 amp?
There are three areas with full hookups, two of those have 50 amp and 30 amp, the other only 30 amp. In July if you have two ACs you will need 50 amps. And it would be a good idea even if you only have one AC as it will be HOT.
The first 50/30 amp area you come to is Sagebrush camp area. Shortly after you drop into the canyon and just across from the amphitheater where the musical Texas is presented.
The second 50/30 amp area,Mesquite camp area, is at the far end of the park road.
The 30 amp Hackberry camp area is between the two, a little closer to Sagebrush. This one has the most trees, although not every site has them, but again only 30 amps.
Mesquite has probably the best and prettiest views. But you have to cross 5 low water crossings. Not normally a problem as they are smooth transition concrete crossings that are normally dry. But if there happens to be rain storms move thru, there could be a problem getting into the area, or in getting out of the area, until the water goes down. That is not normally long, but could be an issue.
No low water crossings for Sagebrush camp area. And the views there are also good.
You really can't go wrong with any of them. I thought the back in sites were well spaced. Not many pull thrus as I remember.

Here is a park map.
You can also use google maps satellite view and zoom in pretty close to get a view of the camping areas.
And you can also use google maps street view to see the camp areas up close and get a really good idea of what to expect.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I could be wrong but it seemed like they assigned us a campsite when we arrived. The pull thru sites are the best the others can be on the tight side.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper