cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pittsburg Camping

KopsKamper2
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Pittsburg to watch the Cubs play the Pirates this fall. Does anyone know of a good campground near the baseball park?
2007 Jayco JayFlight 25RKS
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
1 Pug With Attitude
11 REPLIES 11

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the "h" on the end. ๐Ÿ™‚

x3 on Raccoon Creek SP.

We love the 'burgh and go back pretty regularly.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
FYI..The BURG is spelled with an "h" at the end.

The easiest drive is from Bear Run Campground south to the city...79s to 279s will take you directly to the stadium. It has been years since I was up there, so I can't give you review. Also easy for you coming out of IL, as you can stay on I-80 (in Ohio) take that over to 79s..or stay on T/P in OH (I-76) into PA and take 79 north.

These others are either north/east, south/east, south/west of dahntahn (it's a burg thing).

The closest is most likely Mountain Top, but I don't think they have many amenities (I have never been there).

Smith Grove is a bit further north than Mountaintop. I didn't care for the location of their weekender sites....too many noisy gas golfcarts buzzing up and down the main road (where the weekender get) making the trip from the store to their sites.

Raccoon SP is a quiet, nice park (as most State Parks are) just realize that it has camping and just camping. You have to drive to the lake, drive for firewood, drive if you want ice cream, etc...

I have not been to FOX Den, but their website has me wanting to take the 30 mile trip for a weekend stay.

There is also a KOA Not far from Fox Den....if you prefer those place for your camping experiences.

LET'S GO BUCS.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
We visit family in the Pittsburgh area and wish there were CG's closer to our destination. The last few visits we used Fox Den Cg in New Stanton and found it to be adequate. The drive from the CG to downtown Pittsburgh will be about 37 miles using the PA Turnpike to the Monroeville exit and then the Parkway into Pittsburgh. Allow about 65 minutes for the drive. Hope this info helps.

GO PIRATES!!!!

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Some good suggestions here. I live in western Pa and you may want to consider staying in a campground near Ohiopyle. It is a reasonable 2 hours max but beautiful drive to PNC Park. It also gives easy access to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. The scenery is very nice as well.

Make sure you hit a Primanti's in the Pittsburgh area too.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at Fox Den Acres...liked it fine.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

KopsKamper2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. We have never been to Pittsburg and we will look into all the parks suggested!
1 Pug With Attitude

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
linnemj wrote:
Raccoon Creek State Park - has electric hookups and water/dump are available. Nicely wooded sites near a lake. It is about an hour from the ballpark.

X2 Raccoon Creek SP is very nice.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.visitpa.com/pa/pittsburgh-its-countryside/all-accommodations/campgrounds
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Raccoon Creek State Park - has electric hookups and water/dump are available. Nicely wooded sites near a lake. It is about an hour from the ballpark.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

KopsKamper2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. We will look at the park information!
1 Pug With Attitude

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
When we are in the Pittsburgh area we use Fox Den Acres over near New Stanton about a 20 minute ride on the turnpike, not sure if that's close enough for you.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.