cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzsite 2018

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I got an email from someone already counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds, until it starts.

Anybody else had enough of this heat?
52 REPLIES 52

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure, Mt. Quail open all year round but has limited seating and is kinda pricey, most everyone is open now, my favorite is the Main Street Eatery, plenty of seats, good,quick food, great prices and great staff.
Oh yea, almost forgot free coffee and tea at the Eatery.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our favorite is Mountain Quail Cafe for breakfast and Silly Al's for pizza and beer. Open year round AFAIK.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Which restaurant was first to open?

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Another great morning in Quartzsite watching the sun come up over the mountains to the east. I'm at La Posa South LTVA, south of Quartzsite, not many people here yet. 92 degrees here this afternoon and a cool low 70's by morning. My favorite restaurant opened up this week, it's a great place to do the laundry on one side and have breakfast on the other side. And it's cheaper than some of the other places for a meal.
Kevin

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
At www.hitchitch.com we have a link to the NEW 2018 Quartzsite Visitor Guide.

Enjoy
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my first year and I'm hoping to be in the area by Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to ATV'ing and the HAM Radio gig .....:)
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Kevin, I'm curious .... wanna tell us how you keep cool in that super heat when drycamping?

I'm always looking for new approaches in dealing with summer heat when camping without hookups. RV hookups is a no-brainer in the heat and doesn't count - the real challenge is what you're doing!

Shade cloth and use of AC with genny power and do outside work in cool of morning. Oh yea, ice, Beer, and Scotch in various amounts.
Kevin

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be back in late October or early November for the winter. Right now I'm ducking the smoke in central Oregon.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Someone sent me a countdown to Quartzsite via an email. About 135 days and 10 hours left.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Prospector wrote:
I'm here in the Quartzsite LTVA right now. It's still a cool 104 degrees right now. The Sunrises and Sunsets are great. Hardly any traffic and it's a great quiet time. But that will change soon.

Kevin, I'm curious .... wanna tell us how you keep cool in that super heat when drycamping?

I'm always looking for new approaches in dealing with summer heat when camping without hookups. RV hookups is a no-brainer in the heat and doesn't count - the real challenge is what you're doing!

The most ingenious approach I've read of to date is a guy who gets by in the SLABS in the summer by constructing a small "cool room" to get some relief for limited activities like computer work, etc.. I have no idea how he set it up.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Those that live in desert in summer often get some of that camo type netting...stretch that out over the camping area and it will drop the temp by maybe 10 degrees.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I'm here in the Quartzsite LTVA right now. It's still a cool 104 degrees right now. The Sunrises and Sunsets are great. Hardly any traffic and it's a great quiet time. But that will change soon.
Kevin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This week there was flooding in Q on the news. The main attraction for us is the social aspect of the RV club for a week in January. And people watching is always interesting for us.

Usually a couple summer overnights - 50A, $29 and Silly Al's to help forget how frigging hot it is. Camping in the summer w/o power??? Really???
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
I wonder how many more vendors that the town fathers and mothers ran off and wont be back for 2018? Each year I run up from Yuma and there is less and less.

When the town fathers raised the tax rate to over 11% what do you expect? The vendors are getting smart and are going elsewhere.

I don't buy anything there, it is just a place to see "stuff" and attend the ham radio happenings at mile post 99

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy the mineral show, and Quartzfest, the ham radio /RV get together 5 miles south of the big tent, on the west side. For me, Quartzsite is always a good time. Oh yeah, and where in the world is SCVJeff?