cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Old fashioned State Parks?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
RVing last summer throughout Mich. and this winter throughout the Gulf Coast area then Tx,. NM, Az and MO. we had a chance to stay in a lot of state parks which we generally prefer. I'm really noticing the difference between older campgrounds(small sites, only elec. and poorly kept bathrooms) and some of the more recently remodeled ones. Some of the older ones seem "old fashioned" and remind of camping many years ago and sometimes the staff mentality seems old fashioned also. Unclean bathroom seem almost expected, while the better ones are cleaned daily. Not sure of my point except that these older ones need to upgrade in order to attract us seniors with RV's.
Jayco-noslide
47 REPLIES 47

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Dog Folks. I felt I needed to get out of this discussion as my DH is a retired DEP land acquisition agent and I still have on-going projects with them. Again, I urge those of you who see need in the Florida parks to volunteer to do something about them. Join a Friends group, pick up trash, if you have a particular skill offer to help. lizzie

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
In Florida and I am sure in other states as well certain parks get all the upgrade and maintenance money. I suspect it has something to do with state politics and which state legislators have all the pull. Unfortunate but true in Florida nonetheless.

I respectfully disagree. We are seeing improvements in many parks across the state, not just the ones with high occupancy.

It is a slow process however.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

At state campgrounds in Utah, CA, MT, AZ, NV we pay less than $15 a night on average and often less than $8 a night.

Pleaaase tell me which CA state parks you are paying $15 or $8 a night, especially when the average cost for a basic no-hookup campsite in our Parks System, is $35!:R
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to visit well-run, inexpensive state park campgrounds, try New Mexico. $14/summer night for a paved 28'x36' RV site with 50A electricity and water at one of their most popular parks--Elephant Butte Lake.

Prefer a non-hookup, gravel site 40' from the lake and 25' from the restroom at cooler, higher-altitude Cimarron Canyon State Park near Raton? How about $10/summer night for a site with a level, 15' x 20' tent pad?

Don't know how they do it, but certainly hope they can afford to continue to offer these great bargains.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've noticed a lot of the state parks now charge the "daily fee" AND the camping fee. Was before, if you camp, that includes an access fee. But with the budget cutting into much of our 'fun services' instead of reducing waste, once again, we campers get the short straw, even if we don't pick one at all.

If the parks are not careful, they will shoot themselves in the foot if continuing to raise rates and provide the same services.

I'd much prefer 'primitive camping' over hook-ups, and a price that reflects it. And that's the reason we camp at all. Otherwise, sit on your driveway, run out a power cord and a CTV, and enjoy your RV, why spend fuel?
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad that the state park systems have not changed their campgrounds to appeal to non-campers in large RV's who insist on having every conceivable creature comfort wherever they go.

The parks services could cut down trees and pave more land and run in new power lines and provide a place for large RV's to park and their owners to watch satellite TV from their lounge chairs inside. If they did this though they would destroy the area for campers and they would need to triple the fees to pay for the cost of adding and maintaining these services.

At state campgrounds in Utah, CA, MT, AZ, NV we pay less than $15 a night on average and often less than $8 a night. At RV parks we pay $35 to $75 a night and we are basically in a parking lot situation that may or may not have grass and may or may not have clean showers and restrooms - read the reviews on many of these places.

We have become a country that is owned by billionaires who are taxed at lower rates than fast food workers and so federal and state budgets for parks and campgrounds for the 99% are being deprived of the necessary funding to maintain them. Most state park employees qualify for food stamps at their income level and now we have retirees manning many federal campgrounds in return for a free space for their RV.

We should be sad for what we had and is being destroyed day by day and the terrible legacy we are leaving behind for future generations.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
fla-gypsy. You do know the history of Topsail Hill? The RV "resort" was not part of the original acquisition and the state did not want it. Several years later, it became part of a deal that enabled the state to acquire more desirable parts of the tract. It was take it or leave it situation, so they took it. It is a tremendous money-maker and is self-supporting but you will notice that FL has not built or acquired any more "resort" parks despite political pressure to do so. Neighboring states, GA and AL, have gone heavily into the resort concept and many of their parks are managed by private companies. lizzie

I am aware of the history and the tens of millions spent there since while others die from a lack of infrastructure like St Andrews

FSP attendance numbers (Top 10)

Honeymoon Island State Park - 1,044,295 visitors
Cross Florida Greenway - 998,927 visitors
St. Andrews State Park - 893,102 visitors
Lovers Key State Park - 846,012 visitors
Gasparilla Island State Park - 799,811 visitors
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - 769,751 visitors
Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park - 657,184 visitors
Sebastian Inlet State Park - 598,459 visitors
Bahia Honda State Park - 582,093 visitors

Topsail Hill doesn't even make it in the top 10.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed Traverse City state park was the same way... two old old yucky bathroom/ shower houses and way back in the park, a brand new bathhouse / restroom building.

Manistee SP is getting new sewers and electric right now, but I dont know if that includes replacing the pit toilets and yucky 1940's style shower house or now.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bonscott
Explorer
Explorer
RAMBOY wrote:
bonscott wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Are there any State/Federal parks in Michigan with full (sewer / water / elec) hookups, or even just water / elec, as in a water hydrant you can hook a hose to and leave it hooked?

There are a couple. I know that one of the campgrounds at Holland SP is for example. Just check the Michigan DNR website and you can search for such sites.

Michigan like many other states no longer funds the state parks and all money is generated by the entry fees and camping fees and they are on their own for upgrades and such. Honestly in Michigan most of the more popular parks have had their bathrooms/shower rooms replaced in the past 10-15 years. But obviously if you're camping in a more rustic campground you'll have vault toilets and such. But it is called a rustic campground for a reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For me, if you want/need full hookups there are tons of private parks for that, leave the state parks and state forest campground more rustic.

I was at Lake Otsego SP last summer. Interestingly, they had 1 super modern bathhouse and 1 old fashioned bathhouse.

Van Buren SP is very popular but still has the old fashioned bath houses.

Interlochen SP is the same with one brand new bathhouse and one older one (last we were there a couple years ago anyway). Pretty much each SP has to pay for their own upgrades so it's up to the local management to figure out what should have the highest priority for the limited funds they have.
Scott

Coleman 14x9 Instant Tent

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy. You do know the history of Topsail Hill? The RV "resort" was not part of the original acquisition and the state did not want it. Several years later, it became part of a deal that enabled the state to acquire more desirable parts of the tract. It was take it or leave it situation, so they took it. It is a tremendous money-maker and is self-supporting but you will notice that FL has not built or acquired any more "resort" parks despite political pressure to do so. Neighboring states, GA and AL, have gone heavily into the resort concept and many of their parks are managed by private companies. lizzie

RAMBOY
Explorer
Explorer
bonscott wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Are there any State/Federal parks in Michigan with full (sewer / water / elec) hookups, or even just water / elec, as in a water hydrant you can hook a hose to and leave it hooked?

There are a couple. I know that one of the campgrounds at Holland SP is for example. Just check the Michigan DNR website and you can search for such sites.

Michigan like many other states no longer funds the state parks and all money is generated by the entry fees and camping fees and they are on their own for upgrades and such. Honestly in Michigan most of the more popular parks have had their bathrooms/shower rooms replaced in the past 10-15 years. But obviously if you're camping in a more rustic campground you'll have vault toilets and such. But it is called a rustic campground for a reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For me, if you want/need full hookups there are tons of private parks for that, leave the state parks and state forest campground more rustic.

I was at Lake Otsego SP last summer. Interestingly, they had 1 super modern bathhouse and 1 old fashioned bathhouse.

Van Buren SP is very popular but still has the old fashioned bath houses.

RAMBOY
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

The Platte River CG is a federal campground near sleeping bear dunes. I think it has some hookups.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
All you have to do is read the local papers where these parks are at and you will see that one of the first places the government makes spending cuts is funding to the State Parks. They no longer are given the funds to keep these Parks running efficiently. Florida of all places being a tourist destination has seen their funds cuts dramatically.

If you think about it what was the first thing we saw closed after last years gov shut down? ALL the parks. ๐Ÿ˜ž

And yet

1 park in Florida gets millions year after year

because it is favored while others languish for a lack of funds. It has everything to do with politics

Gawd I hope it's NOT the Ocala National Forest!
Although it probably is seeing there is a LIVE bombing range in the middle of that one. Not to mention the highest population of homeless druggies living there. :R

There are no state parks in the ONF proper. I was thinking more about that abomination of a state park called Topsail Hill that is a giant money pit at the expense of the others.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
There are big differences between states - I paid $33.00 (including a $2.00 senior discount) for a dry site in more than one California State Park (Burney falls & Humboldt Redwood State Park most recently) while a few miles north I'm currently in Bullards Beach State Park, OR for $20.00 with full hookups (the price goes up to $24.00 for the Summer).