cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations in May

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving for Yellowstone the first Saturday of May. We have a reservation for that night and for Yellowstone Wednesday through Sunday. We haven't made any other reservations thinking that we shouldn't need them during the week this time of year. Are plan is night 2 to stay at Long branch State park in Missouri,3rd night at Ogallala Recreation area in Nebraska,3rd night Sleeping Bear RV Park in Lander before getting to Madison in Yellowstone.Any comments on any of those campgrounds and wether we need reservations for these campgrounds during weekdays in May? On the way home we want to stop at Harold Warp's Pioneer Village and stay at that campground.
15 REPLIES 15

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can't use the south entrance on the way in.It won't be open. So we won't be able to stay in Lander.We're looking for some other place to stay on our way into the east entrance.

There will be some CGs in/near Cody that will be open that time of year: Buffalo Bill SP (which has some sites with electric hookups), Cody KOA east of town, and probably some others. There are CGs in Worland and Thermopolis too - you would probably need to contact them to see if they will be open in early May, but it's possible. A little out of the way, the KOA in Greybull will be open by then. All of these are east/southeast of Cody.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I gave my answer in another of your posts but can't find it.

If you're coming in from I-80 and since the south entrance to Teton will still be closed, I would recommend that you get off I-80 at Rock Springs and take 191/89 to Alpine, WY then pick up Idaho Hwy 26 to Idaho Falls and north on 20 to West Yellowstone and east to Madison campground. It's a very beautiful easy drive with a RV.

When you leave Madison leave via the south entrance into Grand Teton Nat'l Park. I hope you don't pass up Grand Teton. It's altogether different in looks and things to do than Yellowstone. If you wanted to explore Cody, WY from your Madison stay you could easily do that as a day trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We can't use the south entrance on the way in.It won't be open. So we won't be able to stay in Lander.We're looking for some other place to stay on our way into the east entrance.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you are staying in Lander, you will pass right through Grand Teton on the way to Madison. It's a beautiful drive, one we take at least three times a year when we go to Jackson Lake to camp and fish. We stay at Colter Bay Campground and there are no reservations, but at that time of year, you certainly will not need them. Have a great trip!!!
John A. Lichty

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have your Madison campground reservation already that's all you'll need for May. (For others questioning if it's open, Madison opens April 29)

I hope you plan to visit Grand Teton Nat'l Park, also. It's right next door but I'd highly recommend that you move down to that park to stay and do things there. We live Gros Ventre campground which has 300 non-reservable sites and rarely fills and definitely not in May. There's also Colter Bay campground which also has 300 non-reservable sites. If you're ready for full hookups after Madison, I'd suggest Colter Bay RV in the Tetons. It's right next to the campground of the same name.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

Have a great trip! It should be beautiful there in May and you'll see many young critters..... and don't make any more reservations. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a planner by nature and almost always get reservations, That said, you probably won't need them if 1) you are not planning to camp in a state park on a weekend and 2) if you will be getting to the CG before 5:30 PM. (I'm not addressing Yellowstone in this paragraph, as you already have reservations there - a good thing.)

As for Yellowstone, I believe you have another thread about routes to use, and you have gotten advice to go in via east entrance, as you're coming from the east. Just FYI, from the east entrance to Madison it should take you about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, if you don't stop for more than one or two short photo ops. There may be some construction on the road between east entrance and Fishing Bridge, just because there usually is some work needed after winter in that section of the park (one of the highest & snowiest) - if so, that will add a bit to your time.

Enjoy! It's a great time of year to visit. And unless we get some big late-season snows, the roads should be clear through most of the park. A few sections are scheduled to open - weather permitting - during the time you'll be there.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have made six 8-9 week long trips west since 2005 all starting in May and returning in early July. We never make advance reservations when traveling cross country, although we will call a day or two ahead on a holiday weekend. Never had a problem getting a site for the night.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

BozemanTrail
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
We have researched the weather and know it can snow but have all wheel drive and chains. We've been told by others that at that time of year,if you get snow one day,the next day the roads will be plowed.We weren't aware that the south entrance won't open until 2 days after our arrival.I guess we will change our route.

Be aware of the construction from Mammoth to Norris. While it is drivable, it is unpaved, so it could get sloppy with spring snowfall.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Also, the park service has a tendency to close roads when it snows, compared to roads outside of the park (as in they will close Craig Pass and make you go the other direction).

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you know exactly where you want to stay on which nights, why NOT make reservations?

Reservations tie you down to a specific campground/RV Park on a specific night. If you have already tied yourself down (as you indicate), then not making a reservation doesn't benefit you in any way.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Advantage of reservations, you know you have a place for the night.
Disadvantage of reservations, you have to be at a certain place come night or lose your reservation fee even if there are delays along the way.
Advantage of no reservation, flexible in how far you drive and what time you decide to stop.
Disadvantage of no reservation, may have a problem finding a site or at least a place you would feel comfortable staying.

As a minimum, while driving and when I have a feeling of generally where I expect to stop for the night i look up RV parks in the area and call ahead to reserve a site. The earlier the better as others will also be looking for places toward the end of the day.

Many use parking lots, truck stops, and rest areas for flexibility. But not for me.

Cancellation fees vary from RV park to RV park, just make sure to ask what their policy is when you make the reservations. The earlier you cancel or change your reservations will min. the cancel fee possibility.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Advantage of reservations, you know you have a place for the night.
Disadvantage of reservations, you have to be at a certain place come night or lose your reservation fee even if there are delays along the way.
Advantage of no reservation, flexible in how far you drive and what time you decide to stop.
Disadvantage of no reservation, may have a problem finding a site or at least a place you would feel comfortable staying.

As a minimum, while driving and when I have a feeling of generally where I expect to stop for the night i look up RV parks in the area and call ahead to reserve a site. The earlier the better as others will also be looking for places toward the end of the day.

Many use parking lots, truck stops, and rest areas for flexibility. But not for me.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
if you re-read my post,we already have reservations for Yellowstone at Madison Campground.We have researched the weather and know it can snow but have all wheel drive and chains. We've been told by others that at that time of year,if you get snow one day,the next day the roads will be plowed.We weren't aware that the south entrance won't open until 2 days after our arrival.I guess we will change our route.My question about reservation were about the other campgrounds I mentioned along the route for that time of year.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations???
Reservations are just plans to deviate from. They can be changed or cancelled as your trip dictates. Getting to a designation to find your RV campground is full is frustrating at best!!!!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Yellowstone is so popular, I'd make reservations no matter when you plan to be there. Other campgrounds on the way to and back should not need reservations in May, but absolutely need them for Memorial Day weekend, which is when campgrounds traditionally go nuts with the holiday crowds.