cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RMNP & YNP

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Which month is better for visiting these 2 parks? 1st 2 weeks in June or last 2 weeks in Aug? Are reservation a must and how many days in each park. We like to hike but might have to limit to short hikes cause dh is having a lot of knee trouble! Grand Tetons just a drive thru to Yellowstone or a night stay? Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
17 REPLIES 17

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For Estes Park and RMNP, June is historically a drier month, in comparison to other months. Showers in May give way to a transition in June, with the monsoons coming in during late July/early August, and sometimes lasting until mid-September.

There have been 3 historical floods in the region, 2 described as a "500 year flood". The first Big Thompson Flood was in July 1976. The 2nd Big Thompson Flood was in September 2013. And there was the Lawn Lake Dam Break Flood in July 1982. These were anomalies and not a part of what one could consider a typical weather pattern for the region.

Whenever one travels in the mountains, whether in Colorado or elsewhere, there's always going to be a chance for adverse weather, sometimes extreme. It's like taking a cruise or visiting islands in the Caribbean during September or October...great time of year for it, but taking a chance on weather/hurricanes.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
SouthParkSteve wrote:
For Rocky Mountain National Park--consider staying on the west side in Grand Lake instead of the more commercial Estes Park at the eastern entrance. There are fewer amenities in Grand Lake, but similar activities--and FAR fewer people. Plus, there is a great hike up to the headwaters of the Colorado River on that side of the park. Estes Park is still an easy day trip over Trail Ridge Road right through the park, so you can still spend a day over there as well.

Most of the hikes on the west side are longer with big elevation gains. The west side is not as spectacular due to less glacial activity.

The west side of the park has been hit very hard over the last 5-10 years with bark beetles. Timber Creek campgrounds which use to be heavily treed is mostly bare. Better views but its not pretty anymore.

We were shooting a DVD for the Park Service this summer and could not find a place on the west side showing expansive views that included green trees. Nearly everything is dead and grey. At least most the needles have fallen so the trees aren't red/orange anymore. Park Service told us commercial videographers had complained of the same problem.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that you'd have a better chance of drier days in September rather than August. But...as your last year's experience shows, you just can't count on the weather. We like the end of August through Sept. for visiting those parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have always gone in September, sometimes spilling over to October.It can still be crowded. Make reservations at Yellowstone.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
The reason we said either June or August because in Sept. of 2013 we were out west and visited Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, capital reef and sand dunes park in Colorado. WE had nice weather maybe one day cause it rained all the time all day. It was the same time when all the bad flooding was happening in estes park. The first time ever on any vacation we had that bad of weather. Never did get to see the bottom of grand canyon,very dissapponited. Anyway that is why we thought sept must be monsoon season but if aug is to then im not sure what the best month would be.We usually always vacation in sept cause of the crowds.Your thoughts please.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in Estes for 8 years and would not recommend staying on Grand Lake side... all the Park activities (well, 98% of them) are on the Estes side. Just a few hiking trails on the west side - very limited.

I would suggest Aug as well and also making reservations.

Grand Teton. We LOVE Colter Bay Campground. Nuf said. Yellowstone we stayed at Grizzly in West Glacier - nice place.

Enjoy.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would tend to agree with most on the August dates being preferable for your purposes, but be aware of the summer "monsoon season" up here as well. During August, we have frequent afternoon thunderstorms that only last a few minutes, but you definitely do not want to be on an exposed mountain face in a thunderstorm.....

For Rocky Mountain National Park--consider staying on the west side in Grand Lake instead of the more commercial Estes Park at the eastern entrance. There are fewer amenities in Grand Lake, but similar activities--and FAR fewer people. Plus, there is a great hike up to the headwaters of the Colorado River on that side of the park. Estes Park is still an easy day trip over Trail Ridge Road right through the park, so you can still spend a day over there as well.

This past summer I stayed at the Elk Creek Campground in Grand Lake, and it was basic, but very nice. There were also moose wandering through the campground, so you do have to be careful about that.

Last fall I made my first trip ever up to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I stayed at the Grand Teton Park RV Resort at Moran Junction, and the park itself was nice, but I was not thrilled with the location. Moran Junction really doesn't have anything OTHER than an entrance station for the national parks and a couple of campgrounds, so although it was a central location, it really wasn't CONVENIENT to anything. The nearest town was Jackson, WY, which is about 30 miles away--not the most convenient for a quick grocery store run. I think the next time I go up there, I will probably spend part of the time in the Jackson area to visit GTNP, and then maybe move to a campground in some place like West Yellowstone, MT, to visit Yellowstone. I just ran into an issue with the parks being SOOOO spread out that it made for a lot of driving. The day I went up to Mammoth Hot Springs and Gardiner, MT, I realized at about 4pm that I still had about a 3-4 hour drive (NOT including stops) to get back to my camper at Moran Junction. It put a bit of a damper on the idea of stopping to take in the sights on the way back to the campground......

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Former 31 year resident of Estes Park and professional guide in Rocky. Most points have been covered. But I'll put my two cents worth in. In heavy snow years many trails are still snow packed in early June which is bad for bad knees. Trail Ridge Road can close due to storms. Crowds are not as bad. Summer flowers are not out yet. If you want to stay in the Park, reservations are needed. In dry years last two weeks of August can be pretty brown. Summer flowers mostly gone. Weekday crowds are not as bad as school has started or about to. June would be my pick.

As for Grand Teton, there are many short loop hikes along the base of the Tetons. These are flat which is good for bad knees and the views are nice. Also, a raft trip through the Park is worth a day. Do the early morning trip since you have a better chance of seeing animals. There just aren't many easy hikes. The ride up the ski gondola is worth it since you can catch a couple trails from the top.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the info, very appreciated.:)
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend the last two weeks of August. Many schools begin in August in the western states.

For your first stop in Rocky Mtn. in August reservations are recommended if you want to stay in the park itself. Rocky is close to a large population center so it's really crowded. If you want to stay in Estes private parks, getting there early morning would probably get you a site without reservations. Moraine or Glacier Basin (we volunteered there) are very nice campgrounds in the park with great views and close to nice hiking - some easy. They're also close to Estes for trinket shopping. ๐Ÿ™‚ 3-4 days would be ideal.

Grand Teton Nat'l Park is altogether different than Yellowstone and it's too far to travel back and forth. It's like a miniature Alps. Plan on staying in the Tetons at least 2-3 nights. If you can, take a gentle guided float trip through the park on the Snake River and you just might see moose in the river with you. The hikes are gorgeous and there are many nice easy ones. Colter Bay campground and Gros Ventre campground (our favorite) in the park itself each have 300 unreservable sites. You'll definitely get a site without reservations, especially if you stay nearby the previous night and pull in during the morning. Never try to get a site in the national parks by pulling in the afternoons. It's possible, but more difficult.

Yellowstone isn't noted for day hiking for most folks because the park requires a lot of driving although you'll be doing a lot of walking just to see the geysers/mud pots, etc. We've always had good luck getting a site at Mammoth campground even with our 40' motorhome. Again, get there early morning. Plan at least 3-4 days in Yellowstone.

Have fun planning!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:
Thanks everyone! So that was our concern for June, the weather. So we will just go in Aug. Maybe we can do without reservations. We hate reservations cause then you have a time line. Thanks again!

If you're looking to stay in one of the campgrounds in RMNP, you'll need reservations, particularly at Moraine Park CG, even if you arrive during the week. It's very popular, pretty much til first snow closes all but one loop. And one loop is first come/first served; they frequently have a waiting line. Glacier Basin CG can be a better choice for inside the park.

Private campgrounds in Estes Park will likely have availability if you arrive during the week. Weekends almost always require reservations for most of the commercial campground in town.

The only unknown for the upcoming 2015 season is the Estes Park Campground at Mary's Lake, as well as at East Portal. Larimer County Parks will not be running the show in 2015, the Town of Estes Park is taking over and there is absolutely no information available that I've been able to find, about any changes that may occur in 2015. It's a good, bare bones campground and nearly always has spots available during the week. Will probably have to wait til after the first of the year to get any info on it's future.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! So that was our concern for June, the weather. So we will just go in Aug. Maybe we can do without reservations. We hate reservations cause then you have a time line. Thanks again!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parrothead Mike wrote:
I'd shoot for the last 2 weeks of August. Lot of families curtail their long trips in late August due to schools starting. August would be better weather for sure.

We were in Grand Teton and Yellowstone in mid-July in 2011 and didn't have any problems with campgrounds or hiking on trails (in GTNP only) if we went early in the day. Just did day trips into YNP and that was crowded. If we were to do it again I'd go in late August as I suggested to you.

Safe travels!

+1 on this, particularly as it relates to RMNP. Weather is much better in August, and at least locally, most of the schools are back in session, so you don't have the local family population there quite as much.

This past season, RMNP/Trail Ridge Rd didn't open until the weekend before Memorial Day, and closed several times due to adverse weather, fully opening in June. Lots of snow up there for winter 2013. And that snow doesn't melt quickly on the hiking trails. Some of them didn't fully open until late June/early July. By August, the snow will have melted, the flowers will be in full bloom and it's just a beautiful time of year to spend in Rocky.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I'd shoot for the last 2 weeks of August. Lot of families curtail their long trips in late August due to schools starting. August would be better weather for sure.

We were in Grand Teton and Yellowstone in mid-July in 2011 and didn't have any problems with campgrounds or hiking on trails (in GTNP only) if we went early in the day. Just did day trips into YNP and that was crowded. If we were to do it again I'd go in late August as I suggested to you.

Safe travels!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator