cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any recomendations for rapid city SD??/

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
want to go this summer to mt rushmore SD, any suggestions to a good campground?
thanks

and any good routes from ft mohave az towing a 21 ft trailer with a dodge ram 2012 5.7 hemi
17 REPLIES 17

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J Bar for us too. We stayed there three years ago and have reservations there for this June. A nice place!
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chiming in for Rafter J Bar Ranch. Stayed there this past summer, will stay there again for future trips.

Hill City is centrally located for just about everything you might want to see in the Black Hills Region. It's about equidistant to Rapid City, Hot Springs, or Lead/Deadwood/Sturgis area from there. Easy drive to any of those locales, and lots to see/do in and around Hill City.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ,,, thought Mt Rushmore was going to be a drive by for us (who hasn't already seen pictures ?), but we were there a while, walked the trail at base, and enjoyed every minute. We stayed at Rafter J too, & it was OK. Custer State Park & wildlife drive was a good time. Wall Drug & the Minuteman facility were worth while. Also really enjoyed Badlands N.P. As someone said , avoid whole area while biker thing going on (August ?) in Sturgis, SD. enjoy, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Rushmore Shadows This past Sept. Nice park.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rafter J is our favorite... Very close to Mt Rushmore.. The campground is expansive offering a variety of camping experiences.

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Be sure to search this Forum for the various words/phrases like Rushmore or Rapid City, etc. for previous posts.
I hope you have additional plans since Rushmore is only worth about an hour unless you take the bus tour.

Sorry ..But I disagree...

If you Hike the Trail,(Back to the Base of the Mountain) Visit the Gallery, Museum, Visit the Studio, and YOU CANNOT Miss.. the Lighting Ceremony. Dusk everynight Very Moving...

Agree. We loved Mt.Rushmore and spent several hours walking trail, visiting studio, museum and the lighting ceremony is very moving. Make sure to see Crazy Horse,too. We stayed at Rafter J and loved it! Only 9 miles from Rushmore and close to many attractions.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Be sure to search this Forum for the various words/phrases like Rushmore or Rapid City, etc. for previous posts.
I hope you have additional plans since Rushmore is only worth about an hour unless you take the bus tour.

Sorry ..But I disagree...

If you Hike the Trail,(Back to the Base of the Mountain) Visit the Gallery, Museum, Visit the Studio, and YOU CANNOT Miss.. the Lighting Ceremony. Dusk everynight Very Moving...
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Custer State Park

We stay the for two weeks every year in the Fall.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fairgrounds

Rapid City search in this forum
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed the KOA Mt. Rushmore and loved it, great ammenities: http://koa.com/campgrounds/mount-rushmore/
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going out on I-90, be sure to stop at Wall Drug Store in Wall, SD. It's the size of a shopping mall. And out back, you can have your picture taken sitting on the back of a concrete Jackalope. Rarely seen live unless you're leaving a bar late at night, the Jackalope has the body of a jack rabbit and the head of an antelope, including the horns.
They also have FREE ice water. You'll see billboards advertising Wall Drugs shortly after leaving Chicago.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. Avoid the area August 3-9, 2015
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of options in the area. There are a few great parks around Hill City and Keystone. See them for yourself here
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"