cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocky Point/Puerto Pinasco Mexico

Gottahaveit
OK...we go to Quartzite every year then to Yuma etc. etc. We have a group of 4 and are considering taking the rigs into Rocky Point. 65 miles into the boarder. Has anyone been and what are your thoughts.:h
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 REPLIES 7

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We used to love the place. Bad press made us stop traveling into Mexico. Now bad health is the issue. It is a lovely town, if it survived the tourist recession. If you go, remember you are traveling in a foreign country and their laws apply, not ours. Follow the speed limits, the speed bumps are "extreme", so slow to about 5mph when you see the signs. Do not bring firearms or ammo into Mexico! You MUST have Mexican auto/liability insurance, you can purchase it on line or in Tucson, Yuma, etc. Have Fun.

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
I drove there and back alone 3 weeks ago. I am a single woman. Good road,and I was not harassed or molested in any way,and had no reason to be fearful. I did have to stop at the border, where I was asked for my passport, truck and trailer registration. Stayed at a full hookup beach front site at the Reef RV Park. Had a wonderful time and hope to return in the spring for a longer stay.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I started going to Rocky Point as a kid in the 1970's. Parents had an Airstream set full time on the beach. Through the 80's and 90's we made an annual trip with a large group. Saw RP slowly grow from a small fishing village to a resort town.

Rocky Point refers to a small mountain. Old town RP is at the base of this mountain. The main lodging area is the Sandy Beach area which has a large RV resort and several upscale high rise resort hotels and restaurants. This is where people go who want to be in the middle the action and have all the upscale amenities of a resort. Approaching RP it is to the right of the mountain.

To the left is another popular area for RV'ers. There are several RV parks here that cater to those that want a more peaceful experience. You generally won't find as many college crowds here.

We stay at Playa Del Oro. This is where our trailer sat on the beach for years before the RV park was built. Its a simple but nice RV park. It has only basic essentials, a small store, showers, bathrooms.

Mexico is not for everyone. For us, we love it! Always have felt very safe with very nice people everywhere we go.

http://www.playadeoro-rv.com/
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Removed my comment.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to look up the crime statistics for Tucson. Itโ€™s had
3,492 Violent crimes
29,197 Property crimes
32,689 Total Crimes โ€“ it didnโ€™t say for what period of time, Iโ€™m guessing for a year?

It has a Crime Index of 5 โ€“ that mean itโ€™s only safer than 5% of the US, or, 95% of the US is safer than Tucson.

Tucson crime clicky

Gottahaveit โ€“ you might be safer going to Rocky Point than Tucsonโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Gottahaveit
Thanks Jim..We will be at Lazy Daze in Tucson for a week after Q. Appreciate the info.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped going to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) a few years ago due to safety concerns with the drug cartels and other criminal activities.

Puerto Penasco
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)