cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Park in the Black Hills

Davern
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a nice RV Park in the Black Hills with full hookups that has reasonable rates for this time of the year. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We also like Rafter J Bar
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J off season rates start tomorrow the most expensive rate it $44 minus your good Sam discount. We just returned from the Black Hills and did not have wireless at the KOA in Hill City. If this is important to you check before you reserve. Only was the 3rd time in 140 campgrounds over the last 4 years I had no cell.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
mdordahl wrote:
You'll never go wrong with Rafter J at Hill City, SD. It's a beautiful, spacious and well run RV resort and campground located on 160 acres.

http://www.rafterj.com/

I on the other hand am looking for a nice campground with full hookups in the Duluth area for the later part of September. Since you live in the area, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ogston's RV Park off Highway 53 NW of Duluth. Google "ogston's rv park duluth mn". We've camped there a few times with friends. FHU with smaller trees (it's built on a former gravel pit). The sites are nicely spaced for putting slides/awnings out. There are several small lakes with free fishing. Nice and quiet with easy access to the Duluth area. There is a small restaurant "down the road" at Highway 53 and Midway Rd on the north side that has a great fish fry on Fridays.

Further east on Hiway 53 toward Duluth there is a WalMart, more restaurants, Target and a mall. The Duluth area seems to have one of most chain restaurants. Down in Canal Park there are more eating places and shopping places.

Disagree I too have stayed there but the best one is the City Park in Two Harbors north of Duluth right on Lake Superior. See if you can get site 48

Burlington Bay Campground
http://www.ci.two-harbors.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={D6964D96-3DD2-41BA-97F4-6707A6E46348}
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
mdordahl wrote:
You'll never go wrong with Rafter J at Hill City, SD. It's a beautiful, spacious and well run RV resort and campground located on 160 acres.

I on the other hand am looking for a nice campground with full hookups in the Duluth area for the later part of September. Since you live in the area, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ogston's RV Park off Highway 53 NW of Duluth. Google "ogston's rv park duluth mn". We've camped there a few times with friends. FHU with smaller trees (it's built on a former gravel pit). The sites are nicely spaced for putting slides/awnings out. There are several small lakes with free fishing. Nice and quiet with easy access to the Duluth area. There is a small restaurant "down the road" at Highway 53 and Midway Rd on the north side that has a great fish fry on Fridays.

Further east on Hiway 53 toward Duluth there is a WalMart, more restaurants, Target and a mall. The Duluth area seems to have one of most chain restaurants. Down in Canal Park there are more eating places and shopping places.

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we stayed at Heartland RV park, in Hermosa just down from
Rapid City on hwy 79. We found it convient to everything a small drive. It is gravel with some grass. The bathrooms looked newly remodeled very clean. Has pool, hot tub.. we were there 2 & 3rd wk of July.. bout 40% full. Near hwy but not real bad I heard it a bit but didn't wake me.. for quite the KOA,, Rafter, Flintstone will be just as noisy... just different noise..

We had a tuck so we did the loop drives, Rushmore, Custer & Custer Park, wind cave, drove to Spearfish canyon and Deadwood, Sturgis, Black Hills, Wall Drugs. No matter where you stay you're gonna have to drive.

The folks here are great, pleasant and we had a 35' Class A and another with a 28' Trailer.

There might be more localized Rafter J, Flintstone etc. but this was
PASSPORT AMERICA and with what we saved over 10 days it more than paid for the $40 PA membership. Think it was $17 nite including tax might have been $18.
1997 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy
1998 Saturn SW2 Wagon, Automatic
Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake

"We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends."

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently camping at Beaver Lake CG in Custer. This is our third stay here. They are cheaper than Rafter J and are a Good Sam park so you get that discount (not sure if Rafter J is a Good Sam park). We've always enjoyed our stays here and it makes a good base camp for exploring the area.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Horse Thief Campground on Needles HWY just outside Hill City. Very nice place with great views of the surrounding hills. Not sure on price, but it shouldn't be outrageous!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver Lake Campground in Custer is a nice park with reasonable rates.They also have friendly staff and owner.

Some reviews I read on Rv Park Reviews about Rafter J were not so good about staff being friendly.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Hills = Big Pines at Custer.
Northern Hills City of Spearfish Campground(has full hookups).

Paul
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Loved the Rafter J, but I'm not sure what you mean by reasonable rates. For FHU you may be paying a bit more than you'd like. You might check out Custer SP - some of their CGs have electric hookups.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Might take a look in these to see prices, etc.
Custer

Hill City

Black Hawk

Keystone

Never stayed at any RV Park/Resort in the Area, Only have stayed at Stockade CG North & South in Custer SP & at Bismarck Lake CG Nat'l Forest Campground.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking for a no-frills place

Three Flags RV Park in Black Hawk (just a few miles N/W of Rapid City)

Passport America (stayed a week using PA)

LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter Bar J Ranch is not inexpensive but worth the extra money, in my estimation. I've stayed at both KOAs and there is no comparison. You will not find a better site in the Black Hills.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

mdordahl
Explorer
Explorer