cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Rafael Swell

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks. We are planning on headed out to the San Rafael Swell over Memorial Day this year. Though I have done some hiking in the area I have never done any RV'ing. I also know that roads can be a nightmare out there when they are wet. Does anyone have any suggestions of decent roads or sites? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
2014 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS
15 REPLIES 15

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I was there last week and had no problem driving my heavy DP Motorhome pulling a Jeep & dirtbike on the front in 7 miles on Temple Mountain Road from HWY70 to the 5 Miles of Hell Trailhead. Camped there for 3 days while we rode the trail and headed out back South to Warmer weather. It was Wet and Cold with 30s at night and mid-50s during the daytime with a couple of showers a day. Not normal weather! Last time I was in the area a few years ago and same dates it was 102 running the AC 24/7, can't win, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
uintafly wrote:
Just as an FYI to future people, the idea that San Rafael is not good for RV's is just not accurate (at least in that area) Even during the crazy Memorial Day weekend we saw places to set up on Sunday. Granted you are going to be close to people but on a holiday weekend that is pretty much standard.

Good to know. Thanks.

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
kohai wrote:
How far up temple mountain road did you go (from road 24)?

Not far at all. We actually didn't even make it through the reef. We parked basically right at the Temple Mountain pictograph panel.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
uintafly wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice on this thread. We ended up finding a nice spot Friday afternoon along the Temple Mountain Road. And somehow we lucked out and had it all to ourselves. Even though Goblin Valley was swarmed with people our camp spot was pleasant.

Just as an FYI to future people, the idea that San Rafael is not good for RV's is just not accurate (at least in that area) Even during the crazy Memorial Day weekend we saw places to set up on Sunday. Granted you are going to be close to people but on a holiday weekend that is pretty much standard.

How far up temple mountain road did you go (from road 24)?
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the advice on this thread. We ended up finding a nice spot Friday afternoon along the Temple Mountain Road. And somehow we lucked out and had it all to ourselves. Even though Goblin Valley was swarmed with people our camp spot was pleasant.

slimjc36
Explorer
Explorer
two weeks ago we did a trip to the Wedge Overlook - Little Grand canyon. We entered from the West just south of Castledale. The road was washboarded most of the way but I could maintain 30 MPH without my teeth falling out. I can send you some GPS coords if interested.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Like Flgypsy, my memory of the Swell is not that great for RV's (unless you go to Gobblin Valley SP). Not the Swell, but have you ever tried the Irish Canyons for canyoneering (or just plain old canyon/slickrock hiking), ~28 miles S of Hanksville on Hwy 95? Just returned from two weeks down in that area (including Robbers Roost and Dark Cyn.). Great camping for RV's about 1/2 mile S. of M.P. 28.

camperguy99
Explorer
Explorer
Just about a mile West of the Goblin Valley road near Temple Mountain, the BLM has made a large fairly flat camping area (no services) that will accommodate almost any RV. We stayed there last October. Easy few mile drive to the world class "Little Wild Horse" slot canyon. But Memorial Day weekend will be packed. I've counted more than 60 cars at the TH on Easter weekend! Don't miss the "Head of Sinbad" rock art near Swasey's cabin off exit 129. Bad road about a mile off the freeway.

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
Saw your post also on Bogley. With a rig that big, I would give Temple a try. Not sure how much weather the area's been getting, but that road can get boggy towards the freeway, so go in from the bottom if it's been raining over there.

Also, the Wedge isn't a spot for canyoneering, but the campground's nice up there. May be full this time of the year, though. Buckhorn should be good - you can also go in from Elmo, more direct.

If you're not familiar with Udink's blog, check it out. Lots of cool places around Price on it, he also has lots of posts on the swell. I think it's udink.org

Thanks Lazy. I think we will either give Buckhorn a try or head ot to Temple Mountain.

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
uintfly,
The family and I are heading to the swell on Thursday. We will probably be staying at one of the sites close to 70 on the way to Buckhorn draw. Come by and say hello if you see us. Look for a tan colored Spartan 5th wheel and black GMC truck.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an excellent site for some San Rafael information along with a lot more, including great info on slot canyons:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/san_rafael_swell/index.html
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Saw your post also on Bogley. With a rig that big, I would give Temple a try. Not sure how much weather the area's been getting, but that road can get boggy towards the freeway, so go in from the bottom if it's been raining over there.

Also, the Wedge isn't a spot for canyoneering, but the campground's nice up there. May be full this time of the year, though. Buckhorn should be good - you can also go in from Elmo, more direct.

If you're not familiar with Udink's blog, check it out. Lots of cool places around Price on it, he also has lots of posts on the swell. I think it's udink.org

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
I know the Swell well, having lived in Green River for some time. The roads are not really all that RV friendly, though are fine for smaller trailers and pickup campers. The problem is ruts and washboards. It's also become an ATV paradise - and I do mean they are everywhere, which is fine if you like noise and dust (I don't).

Having said that, depending on what you're driving, you can go in from the Huntington side and camp at the Wedge, which has a primitive campground with stunning views (watch your kids and pets).

Buckhorn Draw has good camping by the San Rafael River, also a few sites on up the canyon, though these are usually taken.

If you go in by the Temple Mtn side (near Hanksville), you can drive on up onto the Swell and camp anywhere you want. Ditto for the road coming off the freeway (I-70), which meets up with the Buckhorn Draw rd, lots of camping there. It meets up with the Temple Mtn road going the other direction.

The Swell is not nearly as primitive as it was just a few years ago, with the ATV crowd everywhere. There are some great day-trips into places like Hondu Arch and Red Canyon, but most aren't good roads for RVs.

It's a big area and you can even come in on the Green River cutoff and find camp spots, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything but smaller rigs.

And be warned - as you know, most of the Swell becomes impassible when wet. Watch the weather.

Having said that, if you have a smaller rig, the Swell is full of great camp spots. Just pick a road and head out, you'll probably find something. Lots of wild burros.

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the multitude of ATV's out there but I also enjoy canyoneering and wanted to check out a couple objectives in the area. It seems like last time I was on the Temple Mountain road it was in pretty good shape, and there was a ton of places to just pull off. But I was tent camping in a 4-Runner at the time and didn't really pay attention to the roads like a 26' trailer forces me to do now.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I know the Swell well, having lived in Green River for some time. The roads are not really all that RV friendly, though are fine for smaller trailers and pickup campers. The problem is ruts and washboards. It's also become an ATV paradise - and I do mean they are everywhere, which is fine if you like noise and dust (I don't).

Having said that, depending on what you're driving, you can go in from the Huntington side and camp at the Wedge, which has a primitive campground with stunning views (watch your kids and pets).

Buckhorn Draw has good camping by the San Rafael River, also a few sites on up the canyon, though these are usually taken.

If you go in by the Temple Mtn side (near Hanksville), you can drive on up onto the Swell and camp anywhere you want. Ditto for the road coming off the freeway (I-70), which meets up with the Buckhorn Draw rd, lots of camping there. It meets up with the Temple Mtn road going the other direction.

The Swell is not nearly as primitive as it was just a few years ago, with the ATV crowd everywhere. There are some great day-trips into places like Hondu Arch and Red Canyon, but most aren't good roads for RVs.

It's a big area and you can even come in on the Green River cutoff and find camp spots, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything but smaller rigs.

And be warned - as you know, most of the Swell becomes impassible when wet. Watch the weather.

Having said that, if you have a smaller rig, the Swell is full of great camp spots. Just pick a road and head out, you'll probably find something. Lots of wild burros.