cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sand Point Idaho. Lake Pend Oreille

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at heading to Sand Point this summer. Any input re campgrounds and boating information would be awesome. Planning to bring our boat along. Camping in our FW.
17 REPLIES 17

nwcutie
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
We live 45 miles South of Sandpoint-----fairly familiar with it.
Bonner County Fairgrounds have pretty nice sites, with W/E and a dump on site.
North of Sandpoint is Blue Lake RV Park-set just off the highway.
SilverWood park (between Coeur d Alene & Sandpoint)just this week cut ALL the trees in the campground. I'm not sure if it's going to be open this year.
As far as narrow minded people taking action against visitors, or thieves (one and the same?), I apologize for them. Idaho is a great place to live.

Oh, we love it for sure. My husband graduated from Bonners Ferry High School (class of 81 - the old fart, ;)) and we plan on retiring there. No need to apologize. There are turds everywhere.
Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you!

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins/ Aisin /bagged diesel dually
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355 TH
kids and quads - life is great

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
Dont forget Silverwood Amusement and water park. They have an RV Park there too, although not great, the park is fun for the kids.
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

BozemanTrail
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for Farragut State Park

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live 45 miles South of Sandpoint-----fairly familiar with it.
Bonner County Fairgrounds have pretty nice sites, with W/E and a dump on site.
North of Sandpoint is Blue Lake RV Park-set just off the highway.
SilverWood park (between Coeur d Alene & Sandpoint)just this week cut ALL the trees in the campground. I'm not sure if it's going to be open this year.
As far as narrow minded people taking action against visitors, or thieves (one and the same?), I apologize for them. Idaho is a great place to live.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
SWD wrote:
Looking at heading to Sand Point this summer. Any input re campgrounds and boating information would be awesome. Planning to bring our boat along. Camping in our FW.

Sand Point is a well known speed trap. BEWARE. Going west out of town the last speed limit sign you will see is a 25mph right inside the built up area of the town. That 25mph limit lasts for more than a mile with no change and no signs, even though it is all country with almost no driveways or streets. The police sit just before the next speed limit sign. If you are not careful and let your speed up they will get you. This is well known around the area. Because of the change from city to country and the obvious lack of any residential area drivers assume the limit is higher especially after more than a mile. But it is still 25.

Well that poses a question. Is it a speed trap, whatever that means, or is it a stretch of road where speeding infractions are common and therefore a stretch of road that is dangerous?
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
SWD wrote:

Sand Point is a well known speed trap. BEWARE. Going west out of town the last speed limit sign you will see is a 25mph right inside the built up area of the town. That 25mph limit lasts for more than a mile with no change and no signs, even though it is all country with almost no driveways or streets. The police sit just before the next speed limit sign. If you are not careful and let your speed up they will get you. This is well known around the area. Because of the change from city to country and the obvious lack of any residential area drivers assume the limit is higher especially after more than a mile. But it is still 25.

nwcutie
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
nwcutie wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:
Another good option with hookups that I forgot to mention is Riley Creek Campground. It is located about 14 miles west of Sandpoint on the Pend Oreille River. The river there is a slack-water extension of the lake so boating into town is an option.
Good luck, I tried to get a reservation at Riley Creek, for the end of July, the second I clicked the "Book" button, all sites popped up "not available", I did get one of the last few sites available at Farragut SP.

I feel your pain! We go there every summer. Getting a reservation is an exercise in patiencE or futility. We have been on the waiting list many times. One year, someone was so angry about the park being mostly Canadians, they cut the lines on their boats and sent them downstream. Now, many people pull their boats out of the water at night.

Stupid personified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed!

We have also stayed at the "Mud Hole" but it was not very nice and we chased off some local kids who tried to steal our cooler one night. Sigh...
Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you!

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
nwcutie wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:
Another good option with hookups that I forgot to mention is Riley Creek Campground. It is located about 14 miles west of Sandpoint on the Pend Oreille River. The river there is a slack-water extension of the lake so boating into town is an option.
Good luck, I tried to get a reservation at Riley Creek, for the end of July, the second I clicked the "Book" button, all sites popped up "not available", I did get one of the last few sites available at Farragut SP.

I feel your pain! We go there every summer. Getting a reservation is an exercise in patiencE or futility. We have been on the waiting list many times. One year, someone was so angry about the park being mostly Canadians, they cut the lines on their boats and sent them downstream. Now, many people pull their boats out of the water at night.

Stupid personified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

nwcutie
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Al Fresco wrote:

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI - Sam Owen CG (USFS) and beyond Hope CG (private) access road is about 20 miles east of Sandpoint on hiway 200.
Sam Owen is one of the nicest USFS canp grounds we have ever used in 30 years or Rving!!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Al Fresco wrote:
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Al_Fresco
Explorer
Explorer

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
https://plus.google.com/109276499421697260574/about?gl=ca&hl=en/

Nuf Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beyond Hope is a short drive from Sandpoint and the boat trip from Hope to Sandpoint is easy and scenic. Farragut is a great place also. Great museum, x naval base!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the COE campground several years ago and would go back in a heart beat.. With quick access to the water to launch our seadoo and kayaks from within..
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars