cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smokey Mountains in October

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to stop and spend a few days in the smokey mountains on the way home from our fall trip south. We visited several years ago and stayed at a nice park in Pigeon Forge, but were wondering about the Douglas Headwater Campground. Is it a good location for a visit to the smokey mountains or perhaps a little too far from the action?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of CGs have that "No alcohol" rule. Who pays attention to it? Nobody turns around & dumps their few beers. It is a stick that the CGs have to use only if needed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
No one is going to say a thing about your glass of wine if you are discreet. They just do not want drunken parties.

I totally agree. The rule gives them permission to boot those who are causing issues.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
No one is going to say a thing about your glass of wine if you are discreet. They just do not want drunken parties. Pine Mountain RV will serve you well. River Plantation is nice. Riverbend is nice.It all depends on how in the middle of the action you want to be. These 3 are close but far enough removed to be out of the noise. Foothills and Rivers Edge are right at the end of Pigeon Forge and the point you go into the NP. Right off the road really.

Closer to Dollywood is the KOA. There are a lot of campgrounds in this area. The ones I mentioned are acceptable to me, maybe you would have a different opinion but they are nice with full hook up.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Townsend side of the Smokey Mountains. I did happen into Pisgah NF last October and loved it. I stayed in Lake Powhatan CG. The fall color was gorgeous. I agree that it can be hit and miss, and I think Oct. 11 is early. I am normally heading to SC through that area the second week of October and it's often early for color, but on my return at the end of the month is good.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put your wine or beer in an opaque glass or cup, don't get wild and no one will know but you and I. Fill your glass inside.

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We looked further into Douglas headwater but found out that they do not allow alcohol at all in the park. We are not big booze hounds by any means but do like a glass of wine or beer by the fire, so that park is out. Guess we will look to the private parks.
Suggestions?

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at little river campground in Townsend back in July and wouldnโ€™t recommend it. Sites were way to close the sewer hookup for the site next to us was u see our picnic table and trees to close to put awning out. Our septic hookup was right under our neighbors picnic table and the cost was high at $72 a night. We will be going back in November and staying at Mill creek resort in pigeon forge it is off the main drag turn beside Texas road house. It is a good Sams club and the people there that run it were very friendly when we stopped by to look and the place was very clean.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just stayed at Anchor Down, LOVED it. Next time we will try to hit Douglas Tailwaters campground though... we went in August and it was too hot (no trees) and a decent walk to the water from AD.

Gatlinburg and the Smokey's were about 45 to 50 minute drive though. Not a bad drive by any means, but still takes a while. If I were visiting to go to the Smokey's, I would stay closer to the Gatlinburg area.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Color can be hit and miss. Pack warm clothes for the evenings and make sure you have a full load of propane and the furnace is working !

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The TVA Headwaters campground has W/E and a dump station. It is nice with decent showers. There is the Tailwaters campground too right below the dam on the river. Not as nice as the Headwaters but will serve your needs.

How far do you consider too far? From both CG's you are roughly within 10 miles of Pigeon Forge. Traffic may be heavy because its peak leaf peeping time here. You will be removed from the noise at these CG's. Anchor Down was mentioned and it is by far the nicest one in thearea but that comes with a price. Townsend is miles away from Pigeon Forge and G'burg, but is a wonderful area too.

While here go to the Island complex. To find it just look for the big Ferris Wheel. Its a nice place to walk around and eat at Paula Deens or Margaritaville and a couple other good restaurants.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
If you're looking for some quiet and easy entrance to the park, take a look at Townsend. We enjoy Big Meadows Family Campground; although some of the others are nice as well.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

benbovac
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest Anchor Down in Dandridge TN. may be tough to get in but by far the nicest campground in the area.
BenBovAC
2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2019 Jayco NothPoint :

๐Ÿ˜›

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
oldokie wrote:
good location if you can get in.

Its showing lots of sites available for for our dates, oct 11 for 3 nights.