Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern/central Michigan state park camping w/toddler

Thismamacamps
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

This is my time using the forum so help me out with all my mistakes ...

I'm working on planning a long weekend trip to southern/central Michigan and looking to stay on the beach.

We have camped in Van Buren, Grand Haven, South Haven, and Taverse City.

I would like to be at the beach AND walking or biking distance to town. I would prefer a town that had some decent restaurants and things to do. We love Grand Haven and Traverse City, but were looking for something different.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live at Grand Haven, God's country and seldom leave in summer, but wife happened to find a week opening at Burt Lake State Park just south of Mackinaw City so here we are for a week with the boat too over our 56th anniversary. Seldom happens in summer to find a site open for a week here. Do what you gotta do! He he
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Great point. Looking forward to back to school, thin out the crowds at the parks.

X2 Waiting for the quiet to return.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Mitchell state park in cadillac. One of my personal favorites.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Rog & Nan wrote:
You should also be aware that if you are in a motor home and pulling a car you will be charged daily for both vehicles even though the MH stays in place as a trailer would. If it has a Motor you pay a daily entrance fee even if you don't move the car. Michigan state parks as in Indiana are reserved months in advance and weekends are full even after school starts. But with that said all above mentioned parks are well worth a visit.

Starting this year, non residents will be required to purchase daily passes or a season non resident pass for the MH, while the toad will cost $7 for a pass that is good for the length of the stay.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
You should also be aware that if you are in a motor home and pulling a car you will be charged daily for both vehicles even though the MH stays in place as a trailer would. If it has a Motor you pay a daily entrance fee even if you don't move the car. Michigan state parks as in Indiana are reserved months in advance and weekends are full even after school starts. But with that said all above mentioned parks are well worth a visit.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
drsteve wrote:
If you do not already have reservations, you will have a very hard time getting a site that is on the water.

Young State Park, should be able to get a water site late September. Boyne City is an easy walk from the park, there's a paved trail now.

The OP did not say when he planned to go. I was assuming between now and Labor Day, but you are correct--once the kiddies go back to school, it gets a lot easier.

Great point. Looking forward to back to school, thin out the crowds at the parks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
drsteve wrote:
If you do not already have reservations, you will have a very hard time getting a site that is on the water.

Young State Park, should be able to get a water site late September. Boyne City is an easy walk from the park, there's a paved trail now.

The OP did not say when he planned to go. I was assuming between now and Labor Day, but you are correct--once the kiddies go back to school, it gets a lot easier.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Petoskey

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I know you said you would like to walk or bike to town but Holland state park has beach camping but you would have to drive to town. Holland does have a awsome downtown though and maybe worth the drive.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Pentwater