cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern Wyoming, Utah in July

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Grand Tetons in mid July, looking for places to fly fish and look for wild life as we make our way home to So. Calif. Iโ€™ll be in a Class A without a toad, looking for assessable spots along side a stream or lake. Hook ups not needed. We can do some walking, but not serious hiking. Is anyone familiar with the campgrounds by the lakes above Pinedale, WY?

Iโ€™m also thinking about staying a day or two in the Flaming Gorge area, maybe Dutch John. Will it be hot there in July?. Any places to park/camp the RV and walk to the river? What about further south in Utah; any cool, pretty spots to spend a day or two?
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV
12 REPLIES 12

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
The road to Boulder lake is now good since redone. Many years ago it was a rough rocky mess. The bad news is the campground is narrow and the sites very small. But there are places to dry camp on the lake. I suggest the upper end just before the bridge to the campground to the left. That will give you access to Boulder creek and if you go far enough Bridger Wilderness. FHU at Highline Trail RV 1/2 mile S. of Boulder WY. Great campground and very nice people. The food is good at the Boulder store/bar/cafe. Also Wind River Brewing Company in Pinedale is super good. So much to see and do in the area. I prefer it to Yellowstone.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
nina_70 wrote:
I second the Canyon Rim campground at Flaming Gorge. What a spot with the amazing scenery of the rim just steps away! We stayed there in Aug and we were very comfortable. There is also a campground by the water, but It tends to get filled with boaters and is much busier. I liked the rim spot better. There are also a few boondocking spots near (ish) the rim on national forest roads.

Here's my review and pics of the rim campground with info on the boondocking areas too:
Canyon Rim, Flaming Gorge, UT

How empty or crowded is this campground. The dispersed camping sounds interesting, provided I don't need a ton of framing lumber to level a 21 foot travel trailer off.

Sarah315
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be in this same area in June. Subscribing!
Just the 4 of us
plus 3 dogs
2011 Dodge Ram 3500
09 Jayco 31.5 FBHS

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. Too many good ideas to hit all of them (will leave Flaming Gorge for another trip, when we have a toad). Hereโ€™s my plan as of now (subject to change of course โ€“ the trip is several weeks away). I donโ€™t intend to make reservations at any of these places, so I can be flexible.

1) Bear Lake State Park (1 night). Is the wildlife refuge worth driving through? I could kill a couple hours in the morning, before heading for Jackson Hole. Any boondocking spots (alternatives to the state park) along the 89, north of Brigham City?

2) Jackson Hole/Gros Ventre campground โ€“ have stayed here before (will rent car at airport)

3) Boulder Lake campground, Pinedale, WY - just an idea, I hiked in the Wind River Range in the 1970โ€™s (Boy Scouts). Would like to visit the area again โ€“ but no serous hiking. Maybe 2 nights. Any reports on this campground (or the road to it)?

4) Slate Creek/Weeping Rock campground, WY โ€“ multiple people have mentioned this to me. Will try it for a day or two.

5) Riverโ€™s Edge RV Resort, Herber city, UT. After boondocking most of the trip, will try full hooks ups last night or two. Iโ€™ve read the fishing is very good here, might even pay for a float trip. Iโ€™m thinking of this, instead of one of the state campgrounds along 150, simply because the 150 looks steep and windy. Iโ€™ll probably be getting tired of mountain roads by this time in the trip.

Suggestions welcome!
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite spots near Pinedale is just a bit south on your way to rock springs. It is a campground named Weeping Rock or another is Slate Creek. They both sit right on the green river. This area is just below Fontanelle Reservoir. That time of year will be on the warm to hot side but the fishing can be out of sight. Plan on the wind picking up in the afternoon and shuts off around dinner time. There are some BIG BROWNS to be had especially on a fly. I prefer to strip large articulate streamers. There is water available at Weeping Rock (I think).

In northern Utah another member mentioned Browns Park or Indiana Crossing. This sit well below the Flaming George Dam. The fishing down there I think is pretty good. I don't believe it get much pressure only because it is a take out for the "B-section" and most folks are heading back to the lodge or their camp up near the Dam. This spot is a bit of a commitment because it is about 20 or 30 miles down a half dirt and paved road. It used to be the last five or so miles was a nasty steep dirt road, however a few years ago they cut out the side of the mountain and laid an brand-new two lane paved road with a mellow grade and guardrail. Its so weird because it almost seems like the quality of the road is so out of place for the rest of the road in. Anyway there is water available in Browns Park near Jarvis and the sits are nice. There is not a lot of info to be found on either B P or Indian Crossing. I prefer I C because its a bit closer to the Green and I can take the kids down on a quick float to cool down in the middle of the day with out making the wife nervous regarding rough water. To get to I C you do cross over the G R just before you get to B P.

There Red Canyon area is nice as well , lots of great views and much cooler that time of the year. It also is next to the best eats in the area for sure.
Feel free to message me if you have more questions.
Have a great trip

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I second the suggestion of Greens Lake, I've had some great fishing there. There's a small forest service campground adjacent to it. Be aware, Greens Lake is a private lake and there is a small rod fee to fish on it. Red Canyon Lodge at Greens Lake is the best place in the area for a meal.

Just to clarify, Mustang Ridge is on the reservoir not the river.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention that Canyon Rim campground is a short walking distance to nearby Greens Lake which offers great canoeing and fishing for rainbow and brook trout ๐Ÿ™‚

The campground we saw by the river (down the canyon) was Mustang Ridge. If I remember it was just a short walk to the river.
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Canyon Rim campground at Flaming Gorge. What a spot with the amazing scenery of the rim just steps away! We stayed there in Aug and we were very comfortable. There is also a campground by the water, but It tends to get filled with boaters and is much busier. I liked the rim spot better. There are also a few boondocking spots near (ish) the rim on national forest roads.

Here's my review and pics of the rim campground with info on the boondocking areas too:
Canyon Rim, Flaming Gorge, UT
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Wyoming and Northeastern Utah are areas of high elevation 6,000 feet or higher. Yes July can be hot but not like most think of hot as the nights cool and are pleasant. June, July and August are the best times in my opinion. Although when we lived in Green River, Wy. great weather could last into November.
Have a great trip to a great place.

On edit:
Don't forget to look up at night!
Have you ever seen so many stars that the "Milky Way" is hard to find?
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Eurocamper wrote:
State Road 150 - also known as the Mirror Lake Highway - would be another good option. There are lots of Forest Service campground along that road, almost all of them have lakes or streams within walking distance.

Thanks I have bookmarked all this for this summer as we travel north.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
State Road 150 - also known as the Mirror Lake Highway - would be another good option. There are lots of Forest Service campground along that road, almost all of them have lakes or streams within walking distance.
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, there are no campsites near Dutch John within walking distance of the Green River. But there are plenty of nearby campgrounds in the area to choose from.

It will be hot in July, that's why I prefer the camp sites up on the rim near Red Canyon. They're much cooler in the summer, and the drive down to the river is not really that bad and there is plenty of parking at the river for large vehicles

If you're feeling really adventurous you could drive down to Browns Park and Jarvie Ranch, there's camping by the river there. The dirt road is steep, but usually well graded. The fishing is not quite as good, but there are fewer angler to contend with.

The Provo River around Heber City in northern Utah offers some great fly fishing and there's an RV park called "River's Edge" that is within walking distance. You might want to check that out. The surrounding Heber valley is very beautiful too, there are 3 state parks there.
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4