cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St. Augustine/Hilton Head/Savannah

acut2660
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some suggestions on where to go. Looking at the week of December 28th. Been looking into St. Augustine, Hilton Head, and Savannah. Young family with kids. I am off from work and they have off from school. Even though the weather has been unseasonably warm up here in the northeast, looking to just get away and enjoy the week. Anyone travel to these areas this time of year with a family? Is it too quiet or are these areas south enough where area attractions are open, and weather is still warm? As for how warm, I would be fine with 40 degree highs, but my better half is probably looking for 60-70 degree highs.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
19 REPLIES 19

acut2660
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately we had to cancel the trip for this week, due to a medical issue with my father. He is home now thankfully, but need to stick around locally. I did save all the information every supplied and will look to do this trip sometime sooner rather than later. Thanks again for sharing.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago,my wife and I spent Christmas at Huntington Beach State Park which is south of Myrtle Beach. The day we arrived it was 80. The rest of the week hovered in the 50's to 60's. It is a short walk to the beach from the campground. They have a great nature center with something going on very day.Sometimes the programs are in the Nature Center,other times you walk on the beach. The home of the original owners,Atalaya is open for tours. You are close to Murrels Inlet where they have some great restaurants.The campground has a variety of nice camp sites.Some open and some shady.Some with water and electric,some with full hookups.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, our 14 yr old prefers Hilton Head over everything, including Myrtle Beach..
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Acut2660,
If you go to St Augustine and also go to Savannah, both have trolley services Orange and Green. Both are excellent ways to see the sites. If you go to one the decide to go to the other, keep your receipts as the 2nd one will give you a discount for using them in the second. Name is Olde Town Trolley. Kennedy space center is very interesting as is Merritt Island- where Kennedy is, has a driving trail all around that travels through marsh land and you will see quite a few different birds and reptiles in the wild. It took us over an hour to drive around it. Drove about 5=10 MPH Good Luck and Have Fun.

As someone else suggested Tybee Island is a fun place to tour. Has a nice lighthouse and the campground is nice. Also on the way to Tybee is a fort that is interesting.(on left) If you like seafood, The Crab Shack on the right going back in on a stone road is also good food.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:
We will be in St. Augustine the 27th through the 29th, staying at the Bryn Mawr Ocean Resort. We will have our 3 kids with us as well. Highs should be around the mid 70's, lows around 60; of course that could change by then, but I don't think you'll need winter apparel. 🙂

We are actually at Bryn Mawr now - we decided to spend more time here. The weather is nice; 76 at the moment at nearly 8:00pm.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Near Savannah go to Tybee Rivers End

Further south Blythe Island

North of Jacksonville Flamingo Lakes

St Augustine Anastasia
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

acut2660
Explorer
Explorer
Always open for some new directions. I am by Hazlet, NJ. We have done 95 south, 81 south, and once in the way back from Myrtle to OC, went east and took the CBBT

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where in NJ your trip would begin, but we have made the trip "down South" from the Jersey Shore dozens of times. If you would like our directions that avoid all the Baltimore - DC - Richmond- Petersburg traffic, PM and I'll forward them. Not fewer miles but almost always less traffic. Have a safe trip wherever you choose to go.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have been to each place you have asked about and here are my impressions: Savannah - our favorite of the three, but little there for the kids. A great party town with a lot of history, but again, not much for those under 21! HIlton Head - beautiful and inviting for adults, but not great for those younger except during the summer months. For a family, I would definitely say St Augustine. Great camping options, history everywhere, and so much for the kids to do. Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center is a good day trip, as well as Daytona Beach. Jacksonville is close and there's a lot for the munchkins there too. We just got back from a Florida trip. J-Ville - St Augustine is about 6 hours from Myrtle Beach area. Agree with insights about I95 and the traffic there. We always take I295 around Richmond/Petersburg area and then I 295 again around Jacksonville.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
acut2660 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I am leaning towards FL to satisfy the warm weather request. Gonna make some phone calls and see if there is any availability with the short notice. Looking at North Beach, Ocean Grove, and Bryn Mawr as locations. And I def agree with the overnight drive. We have made several trips to Myrtle Beach and Florida and always leave at night. More relaxed ride for me.

If you choose Bryn Mawr and are there when I am, PM me and we can meet up for an adult beverage or two.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

acut2660
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I am leaning towards FL to satisfy the warm weather request. Gonna make some phone calls and see if there is any availability with the short notice. Looking at North Beach, Ocean Grove, and Bryn Mawr as locations. And I def agree with the overnight drive. We have made several trips to Myrtle Beach and Florida and always leave at night. More relaxed ride for me.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd vote for St. Augustine.... much to do, the fort, St. George St, Alligator Farm, Ripley's,ghost tours,etc. When we go, we stay at North Beach RV , just outside of town.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
acut2660 wrote:
Looking for some suggestions on where to go. Looking at the week of December 28th. Been looking into St. Augustine, Hilton Head, and Savannah. Young family with kids. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

I-95 south between Christmas and New Years is often a mess on any day. If you plan to go down I-95, I would recommend getting past Northern VA by 7 am to avoid the traffic. Between Christmas and New Years, anytime we've left NJ to go back home and haven't left at 3 am, we have gotten burned with miserable traffic.

Last year we decided not to leave at 3 am and it took us 15 hours to get home. When we leave at 3 am, it usually takes about 12 hours. We are waiting until a few day's after New Years to go home this year, but we'll probably still leave at 3 am.

As for where to go, St. Augustine or Hilton Head would be my suggestion. The weather in St. Augustine will be a little warmer. The ocean water temp will probably still be warm enough for the kids. We live about 150 miles north of St. Augustine and our kids swim in the ocean pretty much year round.

Savannah is a neat city to visit for a day, but after that, there isn't too much. Savannah isn't far from Hilton Head, so if you stayed in Hilton Head, you could take a day trip to Savannah and see everything in one day.

You could also consider Brunswick, GA as a home base. It's 1.5 hours south of Hilton Head, 1 hour south of Savannah and 2 hours north of St. Augustine. There is also St. Simon's Island and Jekyll Island 15 - 20 minutes from Brunswick. If you don't mind running around.

If you just want to sit back and relax, I'd recommend one of the campgrounds along A1A in St. Augustine, like North Beach. You can walk across A1A to the beach and there is a pretty decent seafood restaurant along the beach across from the campground called The Reef.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
acut2660 wrote:
Looking for some suggestions on where to go. Looking at the week of December 28th. Been looking into St. Augustine, Hilton Head, and Savannah. Young family with kids. I am off from work and they have off from school. Even though the weather has been unseasonably warm up here in the northeast, looking to just get away and enjoy the week. Anyone travel to these areas this time of year with a family? Is it too quiet or are these areas south enough where area attractions are open, and weather is still warm? As for how warm, I would be fine with 40 degree highs, but my better half is probably looking for 60-70 degree highs.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

If you are up for it Florida will be warm - but a long drive down and back. Hilton Head would work for us but not for the Kids (JMHO) Might look at either DC - lots to do and the kids will enjoy the Museums - one other closer option is Williamsburg - fun with lots to do and is decorated for Christmas - Last fun option might be to look into the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina - not as much to do but I've heard it is a good Christmas location.

Depends on what you are looking for for the kids? In a re-read of the post might be the DW that we are trying to please - Orlando - or Daytona Beach, is most likely the destination.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach