cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting 2 -3 Mo West Coast tour from Michigan in September

Jwschroeder
Explorer
Explorer
Two RV's traveling together, with the largest being a 31' TT, with more time, and few commitments.

Plan on leaving Michigan about August 31st, looking to staying in/near Rapid City for 3-4 days, then on to Yellowstone for 5-6 days,

Then over to Oregon, working our way south through California, Nevada, New Mexico, hitting Texas, depending on time start heading back to Michigan

I have hear good things about Custer State Park, but have never been, and would like suggestions,

Regarding Yellowstone, thinking about staying in West Yellowstone, then doing day trips into the NP, We know it is getting late in the year, and CG's begin closing in the YNP about 9/22.

Any help would be welcome, Thank you in advance,
2008 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0/General LT 245/75R14/E4 (new to us 2012)
2001 Terry EX31G, Carlisle ST 225/75R15/E (new to us 2012)
Reese Dual Cam HP/12,000 (New in 2013)

Camped 15 nights YTD - 2013
10 REPLIES 10

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going to Custer State Park I would commit to being there for the buffalo roundup it is spectacular. We stayed at Broken Arrow RV park and it was a blast, great atmosphere and chuck wagon diners once a week. Broken Arrow is outside of the town of Custer and very close to the park.

I agree about Yellowstone and Grizzly RV.

Taking your time going down the Oregon Coast is the best. I live there and just ask locals about attractions and go with the flow.

Paul
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Jwschroeder wrote:
...Then over to Oregon, working our way south through California, Nevada, New Mexico, hitting Texas, depending on time start heading back to Michigan...

Given these states you will have to go through Utah and/or Arizona also. Are you not listing these because you have already been there? If not there is plenty to see in these states that should not be missed.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to second what some posters said about Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. That's where we stayed and took day trips into Yellowstone. It's a neat little town--the Wolf and Grizzly Discovery Center is well worth a visit--there is also a wonderful welcome center just before you enter the park and the rangers will provide you with all sorts of maps and information.

Devils Tower is something to see--I walked the 1.5 miles around it...and the road leading up to the tower has an area called 'Prairie Dog Town' where you can stop and see hundreds of the little dogs running around and popping in and out of their little holes.

We stayed at the Rapid City/Mt Rushmore KOA and there is a lot to see in that area besides Mt Rushmore.

Don't know if it would be on your way, but Multnomah Falls in Oregon is spectacular.

And I don't think there is a bad place to stay along the Oregon coast. Hwy 101 is one of the most beautiful drives ever.

Your trip will be wonderful!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Y'stone every couple of years and always stay at Grizzly RV Resort in West Yellowstone. It's in the middle of town and about two minutes from the west entrance. It's an easy drive through the park from there and not too far from the Tetons and even a run over into Idaho if you've a mind. I envy you and your friends.

Jwschroeder
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions, and now we will sit down and try to loosely utilize everyone!'s comments. Thank you,
2008 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0/General LT 245/75R14/E4 (new to us 2012)
2001 Terry EX31G, Carlisle ST 225/75R15/E (new to us 2012)
Reese Dual Cam HP/12,000 (New in 2013)

Camped 15 nights YTD - 2013

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Jwschroeder wrote:
Two RV's traveling together, with the largest being a 31' TT, with more time, and few commitments.

Plan on leaving Michigan about August 31st, looking to staying in/near Rapid City for 3-4 days, then on to Yellowstone for 5-6 days,

Then over to Oregon, working our way south through California, Nevada, New Mexico, hitting Texas, depending on time start heading back to Michigan

I have hear good things about Custer State Park, but have never been, and would like suggestions,

Regarding Yellowstone, thinking about staying in West Yellowstone, then doing day trips into the NP, We know it is getting late in the year, and CG's begin closing in the YNP about 9/22.

Good to hear that you have MORE time and FEW commitments, most of us on our first trips have little time and are overloaded with commitments. With any luck your itinerary will allow you to stay near Sioux Falls โ€“ Neat town and the old down town has been revived and had some really nice restaurantโ€™s, was a great treat in what many consider the middle of nowhere.

Plan on leaving Michigan about August 31st,

Over the years we have been lucky and have caught a couple of CGโ€™s right on the River with Unbelievable Sunsets. On the drive out you will also catch the Bad Lands and Wall Drug โ€“ it was memorable when I was 6 and almost as memorable when I was 60.

looking to staying in/near Rapid City for 3-4 days,

There is a lot more to see than just Rushmore โ€“ but be sure to capture it at Night โ€“ special! Look at Jewel Cave โ€“ Wind Cave โ€“ Crazy Horse โ€“ Sylvan Lake โ€“ Needles โ€“ Custer and Custer SP โ€“ Last time we were there we stayed at Custer Gultch just outside of town and the drives to everything were perfect, might need a couple extra days on this part of the trip.

then on to Yellowstone for 5-6 days,

Hope you were able to swing by Devils Tower โ€“ if you missed it it is really hard to get back to. Cody โ€“ Red Lodge โ€“ Beartooth โ€“ Wind River Valley are all worth the time but it might be getting late and I may be into your time line. I might take the liberty to interject a change in Itinerary here! IMHO this is the best time of year to be in the Rockies, so I will be so bold as to suggest you head down to the Tetons for a look โ€“ see, from there to-through Jackson Hole and then down to Flaming Gorge โ€“ on to Dinosaur NM from there to the the central Colorado Rockies โ€“ Maroon Bells โ€“ Crested Butte โ€“ Independence Pass โ€“ San Juanโ€™s โ€“ Lake City โ€“ Ouray โ€“ Black Canyon of the Gunnison โ€“ Silverton โ€“ Durango โ€“ Mesa Verde โ€“ then out through Utah and there great NPโ€™s Moab โ€“ Lake Powell โ€“ Zion โ€“ Bryce โ€“ Capital Reef โ€“ Canyonlands โ€“ and a host of State Parks and other National Treasures. Now you can head to Oregon.

Then over to Oregon, working our way south through California,

The PCH is the best but the NPโ€™s in California are as beautiful as anything you will ever see โ€“ just too crowded for me unless you can stretch this into the beginning of the new year, for some reason there are about 60 days in the dead of winter that California will lighten up, JMHO.

Nevada, New Mexico, hitting Texas,

These are great spots to visit in the winter season.

depending on time start heading back to Michigan

Hope this was not TOO OVER THE TOP. Sounds like no matter how you do the trip it will be great and Memorable.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The national forest CGs nearby Rushmore and Custer SP are nice, if you don't need hookups. I haven't stayed in Custer, but drove through it... definitely some great scenery.

Be sure to spend some time in Teton NP too. I like it better than Yellowstone, personally.

In SE Nevada, Cathedral Gorge is worth a couple of hours. Or more, if you want to camp there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Check out www.rvparkreviews.com for Rapid City places. Heading west we usually stop for a night or two in Buffalo, Wy. Then Billings, Mt. when we leave there if we are doing I-90. Then Yellowstone's Edge outside Livingston, Mt. It is a short drive to the north entrance of the park (Teddy Roosevelt gate). Then onto Missoula with a stop at Montana Wheat for lunch. After Missoula you have lots of options depending on weather to stay on 90 and go into Washington and then drop south or go into Idaho and then eastern Oregon. Either way it is a great trip. Enjoy.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of previous posts on Rapid City area you might find helpful:

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27080734.cfm

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26425440.cfm
Roaming Full Timer

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been about a decade since visiting Yellowstone, but we did as you are suggesting. It's exactly what I will do next time. There was a very nice private park within walking distance of the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. That center was worth the trip to this Biology major. Also, just west of town was a great public facility that was virtually vacant in August. Almost 3 decades back we were at Custer in a customized van. We loved it. Hard to believe we haven't been back. Might I also suggest you consider Lassen National Park NE of Redding, Ca. A relatively easy trail, Bumpass Hell, takes you to a mini Yellowstone. Very nice camping in the park. Great private parks in Redding. Crater Lake in Oregon is a must see also. Your in for a great trip!