cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staying In Archers Nat. Park in July?

bobvila
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All! I just bought a month ago a new 24' Trailer. This is my first RV in the exception of 15 years with Trailer Tent. So this summer I'll do many short distance trips (300 - 500km) to get experience.

In 2017, I plan to do a road trip in the several SW National Park with another couple that have also a similar RV.

Unfortunately, my friends are available only end of June for this 6 weeks road-trip.

I would like to stay 3 nights inside the Arches Park but there is not electricity, no shade and no AC!!! I know that in the day the temperature will 100 degrees and +. So I wonder if it suicidaire or crazy to camp in the park or I should pick an external RV Park that provide services?

Staying in the park might have advantage but does it worth?

If I decide to stay in the park, I will have a 12 volts fan for the night without any power issue since I will have solar panel.

Does someone have experience in hot summer without using AC?

Any comments, suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel 2015
Kodiak 200QB 2016
11 REPLIES 11

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in June several years ago and it was over 100. We have a generator for our A/C, but the rangers were very strict about having it off by (8), I think? And it did not cool off.....:(
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Arches in mid-June for three nights. It was hot during the day, but we were sightseeing during the day. It cooled off quickly at night and was cool by morning. The elevation is above 5000' there, so nights will be cool.

It was really nice staying in the park to beat crowds to the parking lots. Of course, the Devil's Garden campground is beautiful (see photo below), and you are within walking distance to the trailhead for Landscape Arch and other features in the area. Sunset up at Delicate Arch is a real treat, and I appreciated not having to drive all the way back to a commercial campground in town after dark.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were there in Late July last year and was hot. We made sure we went for our hikes early and got back by mid-afternoon at the latest. We stayed at Portal RV in Moab.... it was great to jump in the pool after a hot day hiking or off roading.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get electricity where you're staying, don't worry. The average daytime temps for Moab are in the high 90s, and the 60s at night. They also get frequent thunderstorms in the evening due to the monsoon moisture that comes up from the Gulf of Mexico. Keep your windows open and the interior of your coach will cool down nicely in the evening while you sit around the campfire. If needed, you can purchase a nice battery operated fan to help you get to sleep.

I frequently camp in the deserts of Arizona and Utah during the summer and there are ways to cope. Stay in the shade, leave the windows open for ventilation, and get a spray bottle to spray your skin to keep your self cool with evaporative cooling.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
OP - Yes, it will be hot in Arches. But the desert does usually cool off nicely at night. Do you have A/C on your unit? If so, might it make sense to buy a generator, perhaps sharing it with your trip mates. Then, when you return from your day trips, you can start the genny and a/c and at least get the trailer cooled down some. Also, site selection is important. Site 48 get pretty good shade in the afternoon from the rocks. Site 46 less so, but still better than most of the sites on the east side of the road. But whatever you do, it will probably be pretty warm. The CG at Arches is one of the most scenic NPS CG's around, so you have to decide whether the experience is worth the heat. Dead Horse Point SP is quite nice, but pretty removed from Moab and Arches. But the electricity is nice if you have A/C.

ekirkland - Early May is getting right near the time it starts to get quite warm. Most years, it's totally tolerable then, but there can be exceptions.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for highjacking but I have the same question for early May; will it be to hot for the Arches campground? Looks like it will be very difficult to reserve a spot at Dead Horse due to high demand.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dead horse has 50 amp hook ups and flush bathrooms now. It's a bit of a drive from one to the other, but you get to see both parks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Arches National Park is so close to town that it really isn't an inconvenience to stay in town and drive into the park for site seeing and hiking.

Canyonlands National Park is there as well. The north part of the park is accessed by going North of Moab and the south part of the park is accessed out the South end of Moab (like an hour south). Dead Horse Point is to the North.

Next time I'm down there, I'm going to do the La Sal Mountain Loop Road for the scenic drive -- I hear that is awesome and even though I'm a Utahan I've never done it.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

ttsr4us
Explorer
Explorer
You will bake.

It's not just the external temperature but also the internal temperature rise in the trailer during the day and the cool down (or not) time when you return to your trailer in the evening.

Depending on the Air Conditioner, it may struggle anyway during the day and evening.

Buy the bubble silvered sheets and cut out to fit in any skylights and windows. Also consider window awnings.

Moab KOA is well placed to explore the town although there are many other good sites as well. Passport America works well too and its well worth buying the subscription for the deals. If you stay in KOA's, buy their subscription and also buy the Good Sam subscription. I own all three. You will save 10% with the last two on your camping stays.

My advice is to pay the price and plug in at an electric site and also follow the above advice anyway.
Brian and Esta

previously 2 Trailers and 2 Motorhomes, back in the trailer game.

GMC Sierra 3500HD 2WD, SLT Crew Short Bed. Duramax. 2014

Airstream 2016 Flying Cloud 30 RB with 2 a/c + Window Awnings

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Passport America in Moab. For $17 a night, I would sleep in comfort.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arches for some reason seems to us to be an extremely hot 'feeling' park compared to others in the same area. We've been there in July a couple times. There are National Forest CG up in the mountains east of Moab which are much cooler. Dead Horse State Park is another option.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper