cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to do in Crystal River, Bushnell etc

mirwin
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am working on finding a campground to snowbird in for 2018 (Jan & Feb). This will be our first year snowbirding. I have been searching online and reading all the reviews. I have my name on the list for Riverside in Arcadia Florida but who knows if I'll get a call or not from them. I was impressed with Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River. The sites look nice & roomy. I haven't called there to see if I could get in yet but I'm wondering what is there to do in the area? My husband and I golf, fish and love to hit all the restaurants and shops. Blueberry Hill campground in Bushnell looks nice too but again is there anything to do in that area? I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We've been at Rock Crusher since December 1st and have stayed here winters for the past few years. There is a men's golf league at Rock Crusher, although it's not run by the park itself. I play in the league and we play once a week at The Plantation. Several of the guys play either at The Plantation or other courses in the area during the week. We've had as many as 48-50 players at times, although it can vary as people come & go throughout the winter. Lots of fun in this group.

There is also a ladies league, although I'm not sure they play in a structured format like the men. I understand that they have a good time and have a specific course they play regularly, Highland Hills.

Kayaking, biking, motorcycling, and fishing are the other group activities that many in the park participate in. Again, these are not actually associated with the park itself. Ask around and you'll definitely find someone that can direct you to others that organize activities for something you might like to do.

The area is full of places to kayak and/or fish. Several fellows I've spoken to fish quite a bit, often in small boats or kayaks.

The park has lots of folks from Michigan, Canada, and other Great Lakes states. Our first impression was that it reminded us of a really nice state park. Lots of trees and foliage keep many of the sites somewhat semi-private. The rates are reasonable, especially compared to Riverside and other parks further south. It is getting more difficult to reserve here for people staying less that 3 months. If you're interested you should call now.

Also, there are some great eateries in and around this area.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.citrusvalleyrv.com/

More to do than you can possibly take in in 1 winter.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to paddle down the Rainbow River. It is unbelievable clear water. We stumbled upon it last year, and we are going back in 2 weeks. It is a super easy paddle, no Rapids, just a gentle walking speed flow. You can just float along.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.backwatersrv.com/index.html

http://www.wynnhavenriverside.com/index2.html
-jbh-

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Near Crystal River is Homossassa Springs State Park. This is worth a visit, IMO.
The Freezer Tiki Bar has the best steamed shrimp....awesome!!!
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If either one of you are vets, the Florida National Cemetery is about 5 miles south of Bushnell off I75. I found it a very sobering and inspiring place to visit.

Have you looked at Blueberry Hill with the Google Maps satellite view? Parking lot campground with a bit of grass between sites comes to mind. Friends tell me the road noise from nearby I75 is quite noticeable day and night. We spend about 3 months in Florida in the winter, but only about one month in one park. We like the Escapees RV Club owned Sumter Oaks RV Park south of Bushnell for our extended stay. It's well off the Interstate and quiet. The rest of the time we move around among various state and national parks, staying 4 or 5 days to 2 weeks at each one. We choose a mixture of return visits and new to us locations each year. There's usually something new to be found each year, even at the return visit parks. We never get bored... ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Rock Crusher Canyon last Easter for 5 days. Its a nice park and we enjoyed our stay. The sites are generous but ours was a little over grown with the palms and other plants and could have used a bit of a clean up. Otherwise the club house and pool were nice and laundry/restroom facilities were nice and clean.

The Crystal River area is Gulf fishing/crabbing paradise. There is a golf course in the area too but I did not play there. The Villages community is not that far east of there and they have lots of great reataurants and more golf courses. Lots to do and see depending on how far you wish to drive. I have in-laws in Inverness and thats a great little town too. Go to the Rexall Drug store and the restaurant that is in there. Its great and very affordable.

Depending on how fickle mother nature is you still may have some cold weather that far north in FL. Just be prepared for it.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There is a fair amount to do in the Bushnell area. There are two large Flea Markets in nearby Webster that are open on Mondays. Mount Dora has a number of festivals and events throughout the winter including a Pow Wow. There are shops, restaurants and a microbrewery. There is an antique boat festival in Tavares. Fisherman's Cove RV and Golf Resort is on Lake Harris and has a boat ramp and docks in addition to the golf course. There is the Strawberry Festival in Plant City (a fair distance away). There are reenactments at Dade Battlefield and Fort Cooper. Lots of lakes and parks. Lake Rouseau RV Resort in Crystal River and Homosassa River (Turtle Creek) RV Resort in Homosassa are popular snowbird parks.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler