cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling AZ to Grand Lakes CO via Moab Utah

Bogey3025
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions for the best travel route from Moab, Utah to Grand Lakes CO. We will be staying at Winding River Resort. We are traveling with a 36 ft fifth wheel and driving a Dodge 2500 diesel. Anyone have information on the 70?
Thank you !!:)
8 REPLIES 8

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
If they're coming from Moab, and traveling on 70 east out of Grand Junction, isn't it shorter/easier to get off at exit 157 in Wolcott on 131 north to Trough Rd/CO-1 to Kremmling? It's 41 miles instead of 87 miles to Kremmling, and you'll also skip Vail Pass.

I remember driving it once, but long before owning an RV, so I can't offer any advice on the difficulty.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Bogey3025
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
As a 34 year resident of Colorado, with extensive travel in the Estes Park, RMNP, Winter Park, Granby and Grand Lake areas, I think you only have a couple of options. First, you can go through the tunnel to US 40 over Berthoud Pass and on to Grand Lake. I hate Berthoud Pass and the traffic to Winter Park and on to Granby.

Second, and the one I would do is get off at Silverthorne and take Colorado 9 to Kremling and US 40 to US 34 to Grand Lake. If you are a bit frisky take Colorado 9 to Ute Pass Road 132 to Parshall on US 40 then on to US 34. 132 is mostly paved and the part that isn't is a well graded and traveled gravel road. Don't take 132 if snow is in the forecast.

Thank you!!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Also lived in CO and also traveled it a lot and also agree with Thunder Mountain....the 9 to the 40 to the 34.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bogey3025 wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
As a 34 year resident of Colorado, with extensive travel in the Estes Park, RMNP, Winter Park, Granby and Grand Lake areas, I think you only have a couple of options. First, you can go through the tunnel to US 40 over Berthoud Pass and on to Grand Lake. I hate Berthoud Pass and the traffic to Winter Park and on to Granby.

Second, and the one I would do is get off at Silverthorne and take Colorado 9 to Kremling and US 40 to US 34 to Grand Lake. If you are a bit frisky take Colorado 9 to Ute Pass Road 132 to Parshall on US 40 then on to US 34. 132 is mostly paved and the part that isn't is a well graded and traveled gravel road. Don't take 132 if snow is in the forecast.

Can I ask why you wouldn't consider the 70?

I agree with Thunder Mountain. Also been here for 35 years, travelling all over the state. Why climb to 11000 to the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels, then climb again to Berthoud Pass at 11,500 and a quick drop down to Winter Park? CO 9 north to Kremling and US 40 through Hot Sulphur Springs (HSS is a funky little town, worth a stop if you've got the time) and on to Granby, then US 34 north to Grand Lakes is a more enjoyable drive, if for no other reason than less stress from mountain driving. Winding River Resort is just north of town, though I've not stayed there during the summer, I've driven into the resort and I've snowmobiled that area many times during the winter and it's a nice area. As far as camping, I think you'll enjoy that resort.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bogey3025
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder is correct! Also a long-time resident of the CO mountain country take his suggestion!
"
Second, and the one I would do is get off at Silverthorne and take Colorado 9 to Kremling and US 40 to US 34 to Grand Lake. If you are a bit frisky take Colorado 9 to Ute Pass Road 132 to Parshall on US 40 then on to US 34. 132 is mostly paved and the part that isn't is a well graded and traveled gravel road. Don't take 132 if snow is in the forecast. "

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar setup as yours. Not sure what kind of info you're looking for exactly... We took I70 east from Moab a couple of months ago. The trek to the Eisenhower tunnel was slow, as you can expect. If your truck is running well, you will be OK. Just don't try to climb the hill at 65, let the truck dictate the speed; I think most of that hill we did around 37 mph and let the tow/haul do its work and settled in nicely at that speed and gear; the tranny got hotter and the engine got hotter, but all still within safe/acceptable ranges for the load and hill. Just take it steady and easy.

Coming down the other side of the hill was very manageable in terms of speed (do not speed up during the flat part at the tunnel, keep your speed the same as what you climbed at), the Allison tranny did great at keeping the speeds low in tow/haul mode, but the road itself down the hill is terrible, it's badly grooved by the semi's.

We really enjoyed Moab and want to go back... once over the Rockies, we went in the opposite direction to Colorado Springs, but I like the northern part of the state even more.

Enjoy your trip!
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com