cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Washington & Oregon, what to see & do??

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re planning our summer travels. Plan is to head up to Washington and Oregon states. Will be traveling to Michigan first. From there heading up to the UP. Plan is to take route 2 all the way into Washington see a bunch of things there and then down the coast into Oregon.

Plan to see the Columbia gorge for sure. Thereโ€™s a lot to see, way too much, canโ€™t see it all.

So, from those of you who live up there or have RVed there, what are the must things to see and do? What RV parks would you recommend?
Weโ€™re planning to spend the whole summer there.

Would like to do some fishing along the way. Do you have any hot spots youโ€™d like to share with me?

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes -- traffic is bad in urban areas of Washington. It's worth it, though. What an amazing place!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Having looked through the posts no one has mentioned the elephant in the room in Washington: horrible I-5 traffic (approximately 110 miles) between Olympia and Smokey Pt. (North of Everett). Used to be I'd advise daytime travel on that route during non-rush (10-2) but often that doesn't help anymore. The best time is the middle of the night. Last time I towed through Seattle I left home at 3am and cruised non-stop at 55 mph. Beware of traffic in the Puget Sound area. It's broken. Outside that 110 mile I-5 / I-405 zone you're pretty much ok.

I can't speak for traffic in the Portland, OR - Vancouver, WA area. I'm not from there.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to suggest Camp La Wis Wis in the Gifford Pinchod NF. I see you have a pretty big 5er & the CG is supposedly nothing bigger than 30'. However, we went down & shoehorned ourselves into a site with literally inches to spare on length & slides. There were sites larger but, you guessed it, they were occupied by rigs much smaller than us.

The thing is, this CG straddles a raging rapid & without doubt is in the top 5 CGs we have ever been in. Well worth the effort to squeeze in & a good base for Mt Rainier area.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
If you're interested, the Hanford B Reactor Tour and Museum is an incredibly unique experience. You have to schedule the tour online -- google for the procedures. First production nuclear reactor in history, and you stand right at the face of the reactor and the control room, or at Fermi's desk.

You can park at my house overnight if you need to!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't miss the whole North Cascades area, including Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan -- world-class mountains, hiking, and camping. Here is the first of three blog posts on that area:

Part One of Three

And in case you need an incentive to browse through all of those photos, here is what Mt. Baker looks like on a September afternoon:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I would recommend saving this area for the end of your trip -- the snow on the trails can sometimes linger into July. I am not sure when the mountain blueberries and huckleberries get ripe, but I think it might be in late August. The blackberries, which grow at lower elevations, are ripe a little earlier, I think.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into waterfalls, the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge has a number of them besides Multnomah Falls. A drive along Historic OR 30 has lots of them.

Some Photos.

Another Oregon road filled with waterfalls is OR 138 between Glide & Dimond Lake. I like to stay at the Susan Creek Campground (dry camping, but hot showers) along OR 138 as a place to leave the trailer while visiting the falls.

Some Photos.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
following
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Heads up on the solar eclipse... August 21, 2017
You can google the path... it's crossing the continent and anything along it's path is booked already.

hwy 2 across Montana takes you around the bottom part of Glacier NP. I've known some who have driven right past without realizing that. EAST GLACIER Park Lodge has the grandest lodge. Google that and you'll see the interior is something you'll want to see.

If you cross the Columbia River (between George and Vantage) on I-90 stop and use the overlook. There's a metal horse sculpture on the ridge. Google
"Grandpa Cuts Loose the Ponies".

All of your sight seeing depends on what fires are burning where and how much smoke and which way the wind is blowing.

If for some reason you want to head south from Glacier NP... from Missoula you can take Lolo Pass into Orofino (PINK HOUSE CG is a few miles outside the west edge of town)... pick up I-84 to get into the Columbia Gorge. Multnomah falls will be just a trickle so you won't see it unless you stop there. You won't see it as you drive by.
Google VISTA HOUSE overlook... but you won't get up to it towing anything.

Silver Falls State Park in Oregon... has wonderful waterfalls but you need to plan ahead. it's an all day flat hike but you do a steep climb in and out.

Best BLM campground is near Mill City, Oregon .. Fishermen's Bend. (Between Salem OR and Bend OR)
Kathy

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Been there several times - all over the state. Love OR. Overall have been to 182 RV parks in the 11 western states and 2 western provinces - many several times. Part time RVers 1or 19 years.

Suggestion above is correct - you better make reservations on the Oregon Coast and, actually, many other places.

Columbia River is a big wide river; many, like me, do not consider it a gorge. But what do we know.

Coming across, Boardman has a great RV Park and then we stay at the KOA in Cascade Locks. At Cascade Locks you can go to Mt. Hood and to Multnomah Falls. Do NOT miss that - early morning best.

Ft. Stevens at the north end of OR on the Coast is very popular but we have not stayed there. We stay in Cannon Beach, then Newport and then Bandon. All great places. Then we cut over to Crater Lake and, a very not well known place I don't think, is Collier State Park near Chilloquin, north of Klamath Falls.....one of best places we have stayed and a huge logging museum - equipment all over the place.

Of course, Sisters area is neat as well. Silver Falls SP east of Salem is great as well.

OK, to whet your appetite check out the Wanderings link of our website www.LaurenBarbara.com - LOTS of pictures.

And feel free to P M me.

Enjoy.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
First suggestion: start making reservations.

Oregon and Washington state parks get booked up months in advance, for summertime camping. Popular parks' campsites may already be gone, especially coastal parks.

Private parks might be better.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want a loop, do the coast North to South ending in Crecent City, back NE toward Grants Pass. This will put you past Oregon Caves, historic Jacksonville, and a relatively short drive up to Crater Lake. From there, continue further east to US97 north. LaPine State Park is a great jumping off point for central oregon. Fort Rock area, Cowboy Dinner Tree, High Desert Museum, lava flows all over the area to explore. Plan a week at LaPine to see it all. But being a state park you will really want a reservation. In fact you will wantma reservation for any Oregon State Park. Coast is probably already booked solid for the summer. But there are some really nice private parks you might get in.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on being up there all summer and returning to WI by way of Black Hills in SD. Want to go fishing in Custer park in mid Sept. before the snow starts.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long?
Grand Coulee Dam lazer light show, Dry Falls, Seattle waterfront.
Olympic penisular. Oregon coast, Columbia river gorge, central Oregon,Crater Lake, Oregon Caves historic Jacksonville. That should get you about a months worth.