Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

travelling I75 in TN

guinny28
Explorer
Explorer
Howdee:

We have travelled from Toronto Canada and are currently in Mt Vernon en route to Florida.
We are trying to decide whether to risk I75 mountain section tomorrow (Sunday Jan. 18) with snow arriving overnight.. We are travelling in a Class A 35 foot motorhome towing a jeep.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Better safe than sorry
9 REPLIES 9

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what you are worried about. Jellico or Monteagle either one is no problem if you use common sense.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
Welcome guinny. If you aren't sure about I-75 there aren't many alternatives if you're through Ohio. About the only other option you have might be to cut over to Louisville via I-71 or I-64 to I-65 and go down through Nashville and cut back on I-24 to Atlanta & hook back up to I-75. Or you can go south through Montgomery, Alabama to US231 down to I-10.

From my side of Michigan we use I-65 through Louisville, Nashville, and Montgomery. It's is much flatter than I-75, although the main elevation issues you will face on I-75 will be in southern KY and northern TN. Take it at your own pace. If it's slippery, pull over somewhere until the sun warms the road surface.

Safe travels!

That route will take you over Mount Eagle. Bigger grade.
Could also go from I-65 to I-40 to I-75. Only one 5% grade on I-40 Cumberland Plateau, Crossville. No big deal.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a short youtube video of the drive southbound on I-75 out of Jellico, TN:

I-75 Southbound out of Jellico, TN

The grade is roughly an average of 2.8% up from Jellico up to the highest point on the road. Jellico is at roughly 1100 ft in elevation, the high point is about 7 miles south at about 2100 ft. Not much to it at all, it's not even a mountain pass. Going on down to Caryville from the high point is even a more gentle grade. The road is great, we drove it going northbound last June in a MH towing a CRV.
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine. Keep your RPM going at a higher level then normal. You may need to manual shift to a lower gear. It is only about 30 miles. They work VERY HARD to keep this area clear.

Happy Trails!
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

guinny28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that replied
Much appreciated

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome guinny. If you aren't sure about I-75 there aren't many alternatives if you're through Ohio. About the only other option you have might be to cut over to Louisville via I-71 or I-64 to I-65 and go down through Nashville and cut back on I-24 to Atlanta & hook back up to I-75. Or you can go south through Montgomery, Alabama to US231 down to I-10.

From my side of Michigan we use I-65 through Louisville, Nashville, and Montgomery. It's is much flatter than I-75, although the main elevation issues you will face on I-75 will be in southern KY and northern TN. Take it at your own pace. If it's slippery, pull over somewhere until the sun warms the road surface.

Safe travels!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
There are no "mountains" on I-75 that I know of. At least not in KY, TN, and GA.

Very True.

But some people haven't seen a "real" mountain grade/pass like out west....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Do not see you having a problem. Anything white will disappear when the sun comes up.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
There are no "mountains" on I-75 that I know of. At least not in KY, TN, and GA. There is a steep grade coming out of KY and entering TN just south of the Jellico, TN. Exit. Most of us around here call it Jellico Mtn.
This is about the only grade that I can think of that would cause a problem if there was a heavy snow or freezing rain. After the hump, you should have no problem on to Knoxville and south.

If in doubt, check with TDOT
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog