cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Planning: The Perfect Family Trip 2016!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all my friends here that have shared in our first, "The Perfect Family Trip". At the time, we thought that may be a one time shot. We are terribly excited to say that we have had a permanent change in our work that will allow us to have repeat after repeat!

Here's the link to the first trip. Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip

I remember several commenting that the word "perfect" was inappropriate and not synonymous with road trips. Since our first lived up to the word in every way, keeping it in my thread title seemed fitting.

I look forward to having all your input and help in planning our Summer 2016. Reservations are key to us having a stress free trip, so we need to get an itinerary put together soon!

Here's our initial thoughts: Leave SC around June 7th, 2016 and have 6 weeks with a possible 7th if it is needed.

-Badlands
-Hot Springs
-Wind Cave
-Custer SP
-Mt. Rushmore
-Little Big Horn
-Yellowstone
-Tetons
-Glacier (optional...might be too far out for us?)

Looks like about 4500 miles round trip for us. We did 6,000 last summer and were fine with it.

I haven't researched enough to know how much time at each park yet. I'm thinking that Yellowstone is the cornerstone of the trip and deserves about 10 days. If Glacier works in, I think a large block there too, being that it's so far.

Planning with you guys was so much fun, let's start throwing out ideas, suggestions and comments!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
105 REPLIES 105

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations within Yellowstone, through Xanterra (the concessioner) open up May 1 for the following year - in other words, yes, you can now make reservations for the 2016 season. For CGs outside YNP, that will vary with the CG.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Hello everyone! I've been a bit distracted over the last few weeks. I haven't made any reservations for this trip yet. Should I be nervous yet?

If your trip were for THIS summer, yes, but you still have some time for 2016.

Can you even make reservations this early? I thought you could only do one year in advance.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Hello everyone! I've been a bit distracted over the last few weeks. I haven't made any reservations for this trip yet. Should I be nervous yet?

If your trip were for THIS summer, yes, but you still have some time for 2016.

MattINW
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Hookup options at Yellowstone, you could leave the trailer a few nights in West Yellowstone right next to the West Entrance of the park. There are several options there, but we love Grizzly RV.

That will mean a 20-30 minute drive to get from the entrance gate, well into the park, but it's a beautiful drive, and ok for at least a couple days.
Matt
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS 5th wheel
1991 F350 7.3 Diesel Crew Cab
1998 32' Georgie Boy Cruise Master (1st RV, got 4/2013) - SOLD 5/2016

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't made any reservations for this trip yet. Should I be nervous yet?

I would be - especially since you want a good long stay in/around Yellowstone. Of course, I don't like unpleasant surprises - such as arriving at a CG and finding there are no spots available. (Been there, done that.) It's not hopeless, of course, but you may need to be a bit flexible in your plans/dates. (Assuming you're traveling in 2015.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
As you are planning keep in mind that not all of the campgrounds allow generators!

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at Lake Five Resort close to West Glacier. Very close to the park, but the lake is quite a bit warmer. We were there last year for July 4th and had a great time. Our daughter spent quite a bit of time in the lake swimming, yet the Going-to-the-Sun road wasn't even open.

The West Glacier KOA is good too but doesn't have a lake or many trees.

There's lots to do in the area. Hiking, fishing, biking. Check out the Hungry Horse Dam too.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge has full hookups including electric.

Pebble Creek is a nice location near the Lamar Valley but it is a small campground and there aren't a lot of sites that would fit your rig. No generators allowed there as well. It would be a shame to drive all of the way there to find there are no sites available. Of Course, you could get lucky.

IMO you would be better off staying at Mammoth Hot Springs for the north portion of the park. No reservations there either, but mammoth has more sites, larger sites and allows generators.

Just as a FYI, we like to stay at Madison Campground for touring the geyser areas south of there to Old Faithful. They take reservations.

For Grand Teton, we have always stayed at Gros Ventre at the southern end of the Park. Shaded or sunny sites and next to the Gros Ventre River, almost never fills. We frequently see Moose along the river south of the campground. Colter Bay RV Park is the only campground in the Park with hookups, but right next door is Colter Bay campground.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, that was one person with incorrect info. It does have electric!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no...I just read a little closer and now realize that "Fishing Bridge" doesn't have electric! If I'm understanding right, ALL camping in the park will be no electric? If that's the case, then I'd much rather be in scenic camping. The only advantage to "Fishing Bridge" is sewer, which doesn't make much difference for us.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the "along the route" possibilities. I'll look at them soon.

For now, I've been trying to wrap my head around the camping options at Yellowstone and Tetons. We like feeling like we're in the wilderness. We have a genny and don't mind a 3 night stretch with no electric. But after that, we need some luxury. So we were thinking that Fishing Bridge would be half of our stay and maybe Pebble Creek for the other half. Anyone have comments on the campgrounds with the best vistas if willing to give up utilities? I'm just not sure of the best strategy for the park?

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
These folks just toured some of the places you are considering and have lots of pictures. https://af996travels.wordpress.com/
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your route is taking you right through Omaha.
Not sure if this is something your kids might be interested in or not, but the zoo there is supposed to be rated either #1 or #2 in the US. Trip advisor rated it above the San Diego zoo in 2014. I was shocked when I heard this, but my kids love animals and we added it to our itinerary for our similar trip next year.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at your route map, a few "along the route" possibilities come to mind.

Hannibal MO is Mark Twain country. We haven't done anything there, but a little online research might find something.

There is a Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center adjacent to route 2 in Nebraska City shortly after you cross the Missouri River. Good for an hour or so break from driving.

About 7 miles west of Lander WY is Sinks Canyon State Park where the Popo Agie River disappears into a cave in the cliff face to rise again in a pool about 1/4 mile lower down. Another possible quick stop.

In Great Falls MT there is another Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center. A mile or so away is Giant Spring State Park which contains one of the largest springs in the country.

In Mitchell SD is the Corn Palace, with the building walls inside and outside decorated with murals constructed of corn.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚