Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip, Northwest 2016

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
In a groove...

I believe we are becoming accustomed to this lifestyle. Just 3 short years ago, my wife and I had never taken more than a week in a row off. Not for 20 years. There's been a change, and it's for the better! In the last 3 years, we have traveled over 20k miles, covered over 30 National Parks and probably as many states. This is a travel resume' that I didn't think in my lifetime would be possible. I had even convinced myself that travel was for "other people". People with time, that I'd never have.

Well, life and circumstances change. My family has been blessed. Not with riches, but with love and time...the all elusive TIME.

We just returned from another epic 40'ish day summer! Another "Perfect Family Trip"! This year took us to the Northwest. We covered parks that many would put near the top of their rankings. The cornerstones were Yellowstone and Glacier. We traveled almost 7k miles. And once again, we had our cameras by our side the entire way.

The thread in my signature titled "Southwest 2014: The Perfect Family Trip" was so rewarding for me. I enjoyed sharing, I enjoyed the feedback and comments, and I learned from the input. I hope to cover this trip as well as the first, and I hope for the same rewarding participation. Please join in.

We've had a different philosophy on this trip, and didn't know how it might change the experience. For SW2014, I had researched and planed down to the gnat's eyelash. 90% of our nights were reserved, and 90% of our daily itineraries were decided. In other words, the trip was intentional. This year, I'm not sure why the change, but we researched very little and planned even less. Of course, we had reservations for Yellowstone and Glacier, but the rest of our nights were left to the wind. We also had zero itineraries planned. We weren't even sure what was in the parks until we went to the visitors centers. Both strategies have pros and cons, and we now think we understand them better.

June 3rd was my last day of school. We finally left the house of June 4th. Our itinerary would be the following:

1. Grand Tetons
2. Yellowstone
3. Glacier
4. Black Hills
5. Badlands

Much fewer parks than SW2014. We tried to fill in-between parks with whatever we came across. At times we did well and at others we struggled to find anything. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

In the first 3 days, we logged in some heavy miles. Day 1 was about 480. Day 2 was 575. Day 3 was somewhere around 500. It wasn't in the plan that way, but I was feeling good. We stayed in a campground the first night (due to it being hot), but the next few would all be Walmarts or Cabelas.

We high tailed it like this until we hit western Nebraska. We were on I80 and came into Chimney Rock and Scott's Bluff. Thanks to my planning thread, we knew we would come across these and were ready to slow down.

I am out of town right now and don't have access to my photos, so, I'll stop here until I get back home. We weren't home a week when I decided to drive 1500 more miles to see my parents for a bit before the school year started. I'm a gluten for punishment.

Again, I look forward to this thread. I'll post lots of pictures, but it will take time. Bear with me. Speaking of bears... ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
95 REPLIES 95

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, hello Hanes! Glad to see you're still around. ๐Ÿ™‚

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone: Part 1

After Cody being lackluster, we were excited to move into Yellowstone. We were going to have 7 nights at Fishing Bridge with full hookups. It is the first electric of the trip, and sewage to boot! The life of luxury.

Showing up at Fishing Bridge, we had to sit in line to check in. As we came and went throughout the week, it appears that check-in is busy during the first half of the day, requiring around 45 minutes. Thatโ€™s what it took us too. The campground is what it isโ€ฆa place in Yellowstone to pack โ€˜em in like sardines. The roads were in terrible condition. The potholes were more than 12โ€ deep, full of water, and large enough to fit the entire truck in them. It didnโ€™t rain while we were there, but still took 3-4 days for the potholes to drain out.

Our site was enoughโ€ฆwith nothing more. It didnโ€™t feel as much like a parking lot as I expected. Maybe it was because of the large tree right at our door which made entering and exiting a small challenge. Proximity to neighbors wasโ€ฆwellโ€ฆclose.

We did not anticipate the ferocity of the mosquitos. I suppose Fishing Bridge is surrounded by enough water that that the bugs were a problem. A real problem. Likeโ€ฆyou canโ€™t be outside problem. Fortunately, this was true only of the campground, but they were minimum elsewhere in the park.

Since it sounds like Iโ€™m covering only things we didnโ€™t like, I would like to get the final one out of the way and then get on with the good stuff. The laundry at Fishing Bridge. The facilities were old and tight. There was no sitting area while waiting, and it was packed shoulder to shoulder with people. The price was higher than any campground weโ€™ve ever been to, and since the equipment was not maintained well, it too about 3 turns with the dryer. In all, we spent $38 to was 3 loads. AND, WE WENT HOME WIITH DAMP CLOTHES!

Wait, one last thing. The electricity gave us brown outs about once a day while there and the one morning we stayed in late to relax and have a big breakfast, the power was lost completely for about 3 hours.

Taking all of the above into consideration, we left our 7 night reservation 2 nights early. Okay, done with the negative. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We had purchased bear spray at a Walmart in Nebraska somewhere, and were happy to run into a ranger at the nearby visitors center that was letting people use his practice can. We were what Iโ€™d call a โ€œhealthy nervousโ€ about the bears. Okay, maybe a little on the too nervous side a few times we were on trails in the late evening hours. These nerves proved to be warranted a few times throughout this summer. More to come.

It didnโ€™t take long to get into a Bison Jam. The first one was enjoyable, by the 4th or 5th, we had enough. My boys often tell people that their least favorite animal is the Bison. Twice, they came so close to the truck (within inches) that I rolled the windows up. Not that a quarter inch of glass was going to help. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since the park is divided like a 4 leaf clover, our gameplan was to do one loop each day. This seems easy enough when looking at it on a map, but proved to make for 4 sunrise to past sunset days. We had picnics with us each day and didnโ€™t have to make special stops for food. If we had, I donโ€™t think, errr, I know that 4 days is not enough. We also decided that on this trip we would not do day hikes, we would stick to what there was to see in proximity to the roads. Many roadside stops included small to up to a mile hikes anyway. Iโ€™m thinking on any day, we walked about 4-6 miles even with doing only roadside stops.

Our first loop was the SW or Geiser Loop. We knew that the geisers smelled of sulphur, but didnโ€™t anticipate the entire loop to smell. I grew up in a sulphur mining town, so it felt like home to me. You hear of โ€˜Old Faithfulโ€™ all of your life, but I also didnโ€™t aniticipate that we would end up seeing maybe hundreds of thermal features, most of which were at least as interesting as Old Faithful. I highly recommend walking the series of boardwalks that leave from Old Faithful. They are easy walks and you end up seeing plenty. We didnโ€™t go to the top of the hill, but there are a few miles of flat stuff to walk.

Yellowstone is going to take several sittings for me to get posted, so Iโ€™ll stop here for the moment.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
test

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
tragusa3, we have enjoyed your postings...and what your time allows. Having just finished our 7000 mile + trip to some of the same places, your postings were helpful in making the trip relaxed and truly enjoyable. Thanks

Looking forward to our next get together!

Thanks everyone. I'm working on a post right now.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3, we have enjoyed your postings...and what your time allows. Having just finished our 7000 mile + trip to some of the same places, your postings were helpful in making the trip relaxed and truly enjoyable. Thanks

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Hanesworthy wrote:

Yo Tony! Good trip report so far. Please continue to placate the great Silent Majority!

We may be quiet, but at least we're still alive and kickin'!

What Hanesworthy said!!!
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Hanesworthy
Explorer
Explorer

Yo Tony! Good trip report so far. Please continue to placate the great Silent Majority!

We may be quiet, but at least we're still alive and kickin'!

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Feedback: I enjoy reading the report and look forward to using some of your experiences in my future trips.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
He guys. Truth be told, there are several reasons I haven't posted. 1. Busy this time of year 2. Spending what little free time editing home movies of the trip 3. Had a hard drive failure to resolve, and it took several weekends to make sure I still have everything. And finally, it didn't seem this trip was getting as much interest as my last. I'm not an attention *****, but it does take a significant effort to post these reports, and feedback is a good motivator.

I'll get to it soon. Promise. ๐Ÿ™‚

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure he is really busy now that school has started. I enjoy reading the trip reports. Love the pictures.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Liketoroam
Explorer
Explorer
Hope that you continue with your trip report. I enjoy reading about your travels. People like you that make these trip reports are greatly appreciated. It is allot of work and I hope you continue. Thanks

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
flgator4, sounds like you had a great trip too!

Thanks for the message padredw, I ended up having a local friend that had recovery software. He was able to get the files for me!

flgator4
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3, we went to the rodeo and left early (and not just because it was getting late for the kids). I posted some pictures on facebook but for friends to see. You can PM if you want to be friends. ๐Ÿ™‚ I haven't posted anything about our trip yet on this forum. We ended up being gone 7 weeks. Our main focus was Yellowstone, Tetons and South Dakota, but we also stayed 5-6 nights in Idaho and Nebraska. We went through 14 states.

I agree about having experiences others will not. When people asked what we were doing this summer, so many said they would love to do that. The kids loved it. Our twins are 3 so I know they won't remember that much, but they had fun too.

My kids loved the Junior Ranger programs, and I learned a lot and had fun with them too. All the rangers were great with the kids and wouldn't let them slide like you mentioned (except the twins a little; one of the rangers thought one drew a picture of green beans - most people don't get to see that at national parks. :)). My twins definitely needed help and some were long so their attention span

I love South Carolina. ๐Ÿ™‚

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Off topic but I sent tragusa3 a PM about a program that allowed me to recover some photos that I had lost and which were extremely valuable to me. Even though they were several years old (I have no idea how or when I lost them--that is a mystery) I was able to recover them all. The program is "Ashampoo Photo Recovery." If anyone is in need, send me a PM and I will respond with a PM and a post in the appropriate forum.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks flgator4! I think you and I are the only ones with this opinion of Cody. We didn't catch the shootout at Cody, but did catch one later in Deadwood.

Hats off to you for doing the long road trips with 4 young ones. Yes, it has challenges, but your family will have experiences together that many do not. I'd enjoy seeing and hearing more about your trips. Have you posted anywhere? Will you?

I have a new hard drive now. I'm struggling now with a different blunder. When I posted to this forum and facebook, I accidentally erased the photos I was posting. I think I can find them again, but it is tedious to flip through the backups, SD cards, etc. I think I have lost a handful of high res versions...

Anyway, I'll be ready for the next set of photos by tomorrow likely.