cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT: I wanted to add this link here at the beginning.

Ragusa's Summer 2014 Trailer

Hello friends! We have been home for two months, but I am just now feeling like getting to the trip report. The trip was so EPIC, that I was honestly a bit intimidated to put it into a thread. Realizing now that I could never do the trip justice, I decided to just jump in and let the report come out the best it does.

Over the last year or more, many folks on this forum had helped in the planning over on this thread: A year of planning for the perfect family trip! Thank you to all that contributed.

Some were put off by my use of the word "perfect", saying that it wasn't possible. Well, not only was it possible, but it was accomplished! Perfect doesn't mean trouble free. Having the right state of mind is necessary at times. But all in all, 99% of the trip went off exactly as we had hoped.

I want to give a thorough report. We have 20,000 photos and over 20 hours of video to sort and sift through. I've been working diligently on iMovie and already have half the trip put together. I put together a very brief slideshow for close friends and family, and even that is a 4 hour process showing some 1,000 pictures. That being said, the photos and videos are a labor of love for us personally. I hope to share them with people, but understand how hard it is to sit through other families home movies. That's where you folks come in! We have a common interest. Campers, camping, travel, etc. I think posting here will be a great way to share with the community.

The trip: We left on June 6, 2014 from South Carolina and headed west for a 40 day loop through the Southwest. We hit as many National Parks as we could in that time frame. When we parked the truck in the driveway, the odometer read 5,999.9 miles. Every last one of them treasured.

Places visited:

Petrified Forest
Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Grand Canyon
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Kanab, Utah
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Goblin Valley
Arches
Canyonlands
Moab
Mesa Verde
Durango
Silverton
Ouray
Ridgway
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Rocky Mtn National Park
Sand Creek
Wichita
St. Louis

I listed places we actually stopped and did things. There were many other things that were just quick "on the road" stops.

The family: Family of 4. We're in our late 40's with twin 9 year old boys.

My windows to post may be sporadic, so I think it's best for me to post in installments, as I get the time. Like a mini-series. LOL

I'll do my best to keep you entertained and offer opinions for any that have questions.

ADDED: Here's a link to one segment of our home movie 2014 ARCHES VIDEO
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
246 REPLIES 246

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Great report and photos! Keep it coming!
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ZION: Part 1

One of the most often asked questions about our trip is which part was our favorite? Every little piece of it was a favorit in some way. However, if we were really squeezed to give an answer, it would likely be Zion!

We had 5 nights at "The Watchman". Our site was perfect, with views all around and privacy from every angle. Highly recommended.

Our days usually consisted of a sunrise hike, nap during the hot part of the day, and a sunset hike. We must have hiked 20 miles in this park alone.

The weather was perfect. A little warm at the hottest part of the evening, but nothing finding a shady spot couldn't fix.

Hiking "The Watchman" trail, we came across this. Kingsnake, we were told. Fairly rare to see.

"The Watchman" was one hike that we time wrong. We did it in the afternoon with full exposure to the setting sun. You can tell from the photo that we were hot. For all the other hikes, we timed them well for being on the shady side of the canyon.

Like I said, great campsite! There was a fire ban for our whole stay, except the first night, so we grilled some chicken!

Looking the other direction. And, one of the boys playing the PS3 gaming system. That really helped the kids cope with being on the road so long. They didn't get to play much, but it was a great tool for Mom and Dad to have some peace once in awhile.

Herds of deer, every evening, with this backdrop. Yes, from the campsite!

We hiked "The Narrows" on the first morning, for fear of rain closing it later. We would have been crushed if we couldn't have hiked it. This time of year, they hadn't had the rainy season yet, so the water was very low. There were a few spots that got over our knees, but most was like this. We hike a total of 9 miles round trip. Could never do that on land, but the scenery was motivation to keep going. It was a spiritual moment making this hike. It's everything we hoped it would be. I will say, we took the 6am shuttle, so we had the entire hike in, to ourselves! That made a huge difference. It was like our own private eden.

On the way back, it was a different story. By noon, it was jam packed with people, and completely changed the experience.

One of the views from "The Upper Emerald Pools" hike.

We spend so much time picnicking, etc. at the Upper Pools, that we lost track of time. We realized that we might not catch the last shuttle bus of the night!!! So we hustled down the mountain and with just minutes to spare, caught the bus! THAT saved a long walk home! Here we are showing up back at the truck. The length of sunlight had us confused most of the trip. This picture was taken at close to 10pm.

ZION Part 2: Coming soon...

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't forgotten about this thread! I'll have another few installments done by this weekend.

I've been asked about the performance of the truck. First, it met every expectation I had of it. There wasn't a single moment that the truck felt like it was working hard. Not even through several 10k+ passes in the Rockies. There was one point in Kansas that the crosswind had me paying attention.

Over the entire 6k miles, the computer average (which is verified to be within a 10th) was 11.5mpg. On the 1100 miles from Wichita to home, it got 12mpg. I assume I had a tailwind heading east. I guesstimate that we drove 600+/- miles without the trailer. So the strict towing average would be about 10% less for the trip.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Any more updates? I'm waiting for Mesa Verde pics. I think my family would enjoy that.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
Really enjoying your trip report, and pictures! Keep them coming!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it. The wind in Page was so bad on our hanging garden hike, that my boys were crying from the sandblasting on our legs. In fact, the entire Arizona and Utah sections of the trip were terrible with wind.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
On the road again. Going from Grand Canyon to Page Arizona. Not much along that stretch.

We got caught in a huge sandstorm on this stretch of road in 08 !!

Traveled approx. 100 miles across nothing. I had emptied my water, being worried about weight on the trailer. We pulled into the first gas station we saw, in Page, Az. I went in to the restroom and when coming out, noticed the trailer didn't look level. I walked around and noticed this!

We were so, so fortunate to not be stranded on the road. God had his hand on our trip the whole way. ๐Ÿ™‚ I asked a local and he directed me to a KOA about 2 miles away. We limped that far and the guy said he had no sites! I asked if we could stay the night in some empty space they had off on the side. He said no, you'll have to leave! Couldn't believe a KOA sent us packing with an axle that looks like that. But he did.

We went another 2 miles (at 2mph) to Walmart. It was a Saturday. We spent the night there and called a roadside guy since it was Sunday. He pulled it all apart. The bearings were completely gone and I had damaged the drum brake, using it as a bearing. Also had nicked up the spindle pretty good. He filed it down and polished it with an air grinder. Said if I had gone another 50' I would have needed a new axle. He installed a new drum brake and new bearings. At 4 times the price of a bearing job, it was back together. He commented that bearing buddies were his best friend. They only grease the front bearing and not the rear. He suspected I had a rear bearing failure.

We stayed one more day so that Monday morning I could go to a shop and have the other side repacked and inspected. I watched the mechanic pull the hub apart, and sure enough...nice new grease on the outside bearing, and dry as a bone in the back. In all, lesson learned, and this was the worst episode of the trip.

3 nights total in a town we hadn't planned for. It was now mid June in Arizona, and we barely got by without electricity. If I wasn't so cheap, we would have gotten a hotel room. But, we made the best of it. Page has lots to see, and we saw a good bit.

Got tickets for the Glen Canyon Dam tour. It was really nice, and hydroelectricity is a part of my curriculum in 6th grade science. I was able to take lots of picture and even made a video, teaching my lesson right from the tour. So this year, my kids can do more than look at pictures! I take them right into the dam! ๐Ÿ™‚

We also went on a really nice evening hike with a ranger to some "Hanging Gardens". These are alcoves in the sandstone that water seeps to. They are a microclimates in the desert. Moist, shaded and a little cooler. They are home to vegetation that you might expect in a tropical rain forest. Anyway, when we met the ranger at 6pm, we were the only people there. We got a private hike! Lots of one on one question time.

We thought about going to Antelope Canyon, but at $50 a piece for a short hike, we opted out. I think just paying for the bearing made me cheap out. We thought we might see slot canyons elsewhere, but never did.

Next stop: Kanab, Utah

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Short drive north to Kanab, Utah. We were only stopping here because we were a day early for our reservation at Zion. (By the way, my family was most excited about Grand Canyon, but I secretly couldn't wait for Zion)

This county is known for being a movie location for many, many movies. We stayed at Crazy Horse campground, which was really a dump, but it did have a nice setting and a pool! The boys enjoyed a break from the routine.

Hard to do much with just a half day, but we saw a few things. The guy at the visitors center suggested a BLM road that took us back to the set of "Gunsmoke".

We also stopped at "Little Hollywood". It's really a Tshirt shop that stores old movie sets in the back yard. ๐Ÿ™‚ For being as planned as we were, the bearing blowout forced us to be spontaneous for a few days. It was nice to feel like we were discovering things. Even the junky Tshirt shops are fun!

Here we are sitting at the saloon from the set of "The Outlaw Josie Wales".

Next stop: Zion!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
On the road again. Going from Grand Canyon to Page Arizona. Not much along that stretch.

Traveled approx. 100 miles across nothing. I had emptied my water, being worried about weight on the trailer. We pulled into the first gas station we saw, in Page, Az. I went in to the restroom and when coming out, noticed the trailer didn't look level. I walked around and noticed this!

We were so, so fortunate to not be stranded on the road. God had his hand on our trip the whole way. ๐Ÿ™‚ I asked a local and he directed me to a KOA about 2 miles away. We limped that far and the guy said he had no sites! I asked if we could stay the night in some empty space they had off on the side. He said no, you'll have to leave! Couldn't believe a KOA sent us packing with an axle that looks like that. But he did.

We went another 2 miles (at 2mph) to Walmart. It was a Saturday. We spent the night there and called a roadside guy since it was Sunday. He pulled it all apart. The bearings were completely gone and I had damaged the drum brake, using it as a bearing. Also had nicked up the spindle pretty good. He filed it down and polished it with an air grinder. Said if I had gone another 50' I would have needed a new axle. He installed a new drum brake and new bearings. At 4 times the price of a bearing job, it was back together. He commented that bearing buddies were his best friend. They only grease the front bearing and not the rear. He suspected I had a rear bearing failure.

We stayed one more day so that Monday morning I could go to a shop and have the other side repacked and inspected. I watched the mechanic pull the hub apart, and sure enough...nice new grease on the outside bearing, and dry as a bone in the back. In all, lesson learned, and this was the worst episode of the trip.

3 nights total in a town we hadn't planned for. It was now mid June in Arizona, and we barely got by without electricity. If I wasn't so cheap, we would have gotten a hotel room. But, we made the best of it. Page has lots to see, and we saw a good bit.

Got tickets for the Glen Canyon Dam tour. It was really nice, and hydroelectricity is a part of my curriculum in 6th grade science. I was able to take lots of picture and even made a video, teaching my lesson right from the tour. So this year, my kids can do more than look at pictures! I take them right into the dam! ๐Ÿ™‚

We also went on a really nice evening hike with a ranger to some "Hanging Gardens". These are alcoves in the sandstone that water seeps to. They are a microclimates in the desert. Moist, shaded and a little cooler. They are home to vegetation that you might expect in a tropical rain forest. Anyway, when we met the ranger at 6pm, we were the only people there. We got a private hike! Lots of one on one question time.

We thought about going to Antelope Canyon, but at $50 a piece for a short hike, we opted out. I think just paying for the bearing made me cheap out. We thought we might see slot canyons elsewhere, but never did.

Next stop: Kanab, Utah

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
bee_46 wrote:
Don't wait for the perfect time because that may never come.

Ditto on this!

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't quite do a 2 week speed trip, but almost. We took 23 days and traveled from Maryland, 6,395 miles, through 17 states, saw 10 U.S. National Park/Memorials, and 2 Native American Tribal Parks. Some days were long travel days and a couple of stops were added that were not in the initial plans which made the time frame a little cramped, but we thoroughly enjoyed our trip. If you only have 2 weeks, put in what you can, go, and plan more for the next year. Don't wait for the perfect time because that may never come.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla, so right. I'm betting that most of our stories in 10 years will have little to do with the grandest part of each park, and more to do with the funny thing that happened in the laundry, or that time Dad farted and we all had to leave the trailer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you don't appreciate all the little things that go right and wrong, family life could get much more difficult, couldn't it?!?

There's been a few comments from folks that haven't or feel they may not get an opportunity to get out west. My perspective has changed an awful lot since going this summer. I remember commenting to my wife when we were under 2 weeks and finishing up at Zion. I said that we could head home right then and the trip would have already been a tremendous success! Fortunately, we were only a third through at that point. But my point is that I got caught up believing that doing a 2 week "speed" trip was not worth it, and therefore waited all these years to have a huge block of time.

Now, I will preach to take whatever time you have and cram it in! Sure, most on this forum will tell you that you're crazy and it is too much driving for anyone to enjoy. But most of them don't have time constraints. For us, I wish we had been taking the two week speed trip over the years. For a southern boy, being out west felt like a part of my life had been missing. Like I have been seeing the world with blinders on and didn't know it. Point is, I would get in the truck tomorrow and drive 3 days to have 5-6 there and 3 days getting back. Ideal, no. Lifetime memories, yes.

Glenn Canyon pics coming later today!

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip with our two children 25 years ago and my husband and I went back out west this summer revisiting some places and adding a few others. We did the mule ride to Plateau Point when we were there with the children. I was sure my mule was suicidal, but we did make it back to the top. Didn't even think about doing the mule ride this trip. I agree that 2 days in the canyon is enough if you are not hiking or riding the mules.

Keep the pictures coming. I am enjoying particularly the pics of the places we visited in 1989 but did not go back to this year.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I look forward to all the stories the boys tell in the future. I'm curious as to what parts of the trip stick with them. Wait until my RMNP elk story. I know that one is going to be told for years to come!

You just never know what they are going to remember the most do you? It's so interesting how we can all have the same vacation but remember such different things.
I have a coworker that mentioned her own trip to the Grand Canyon as a child. For her, it was 3 consecutive days stuffed in a hot car to look at a big hole in the ground and then rafting in the gross, muddy water through the canyon. She was completely unimpressed with the Grand Canyon. However, one of her best childhood memories was from that trip. Her favorite memory? Setting off fireworks in the desert while traveling to the Grand Canyon! Who would guess! I wonder what her sister and parents remember the most about that trip.

Keep on posting the pics and comments! Don't know if/when we'll ever get out that way; we'll live vicariously through you!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog