cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson area State Parks

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to check out the non commercial campground in the area of Tucson, Catalina, Gilbert Ray, Lost Dutchman, and some others Jan/Feb 2017 and am looking for info on getting reservations at them.

Reservations at the State Parks has a 12 month window. Are these parks like Yellowstone where I need to be online exactly 12 months before I want to get reservations or do they fill up a bit slower, if at all?

I know Gilbert Ray is first come first serve, is it usually full in the winter months?

I ask as I'll be going on the road shortly and will need to hunt around for wifi if I need to make them quickly.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
70 degrees in Mesa today with highs of 75/76 for the weekend....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really glad to see this thread and the posts, therein. Without knowing much except we liked the Phoenix area, once, I reserved time at Picacho Peak and Lost Dutchman for our first snowbird experience. We will be there starting late Jan through late March. Hoping for milder weather than the 12 degrees we have here, currently. Hoping the trip down is uneventful. I'm about 92% eager and about 8% anxious about it. I think part of my anxiety comes from reading all the horror stories on this forum! I probably have more "extra" parts than I will ever use. And of course, nothing you prepare for ever happens! That's called Murphy's Law!
Safe camping and travels everyone! Happy New Year!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
snip ...Looking to check out the non commercial campground in the area of Tucson, Catalina, Gilbert Ray, Lost Dutchman, and some others Jan/Feb 2017 and am looking for info on getting reservations at them.

Reservations at the State Parks has a 12 month window ...

Re AZ State Parks, RV reservations cannot be made until either 6 or 7 months ahead of the desired date -- I forget which -- check their reservation site.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Ummmm....you do know that Lost Dutchman is 2 hours north of Tucson, yes???:h....Dennis

Yes, it's our first trip, we want to move around some and see the area. Looking for somewhere to snowbird in the future.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ummmm....you do know that Lost Dutchman is 2 hours north of Tucson, yes???:h....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Catalina State Park is our preference but we live in Tucson and are biased. I just did a query and you can reserve, as I write this, through Jan 15, 2017.

***Edit*** Thanks for bringing it up as I just booked a nice spot for New Years.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Gilbert Ray does tend to fill..best chance is during the week. Catalina and Lost Dutchman have become very popular parks for a reason - they're gorgeous places to stay and the hiking is great.

If you can't get into Lost Dutchman try for the Maricopa County park campgrounds - Usery is near Lost Dutchman. Also try for McDowell Mountain, Cave Creek or Lake Pleasant. They are all in beautiful surroundings with nice hikes and big sites.

Good luck - they're all very popular and are favorites of ours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how close you need to be, but look up Catalina State Park, just around the hill from Tucson
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.