cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US taxation

ghostrider42
Explorer
Explorer
The new/old law is based on Canadians spending more than 240 days in a single calendar year and those owning property in the USA.

http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2013/10/obama-admin-now-starting-to-target-canadas-sno...

Then they would be considered US residents for the purposes of tax payments to the IRS. It has nothing to do with the States.

Will this affect your buying property in America?
3/27/2014 - Sam passed away in his sleep after a long courageous battle with brain cancer - all vehicles have been sold
10 REPLIES 10

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Gadget Guy wrote:
Firstep1 wrote:
Gruffy wrote:
They don't seem to realize that if a Canadian spends more then 180 or 200 days depending on province, they no longer have health care in Canada and their travel insurance is void. Having valid provincial health care is a requirement for most Snowbird insurance policies.

Your Statement is not quite true if you live in Alberta. If you are going to travel for a extended amount of time outside of Alberta (more than 6 months) you may extend it up to 2 years (24 months) for travel, personal visits or educational leave but you need to notify them while still in Alberta. We have done this a couple of times.

OUTSIDE of ALBERTA HEALTHCARE COVERAGE

Fred

Gruffy, you really need to move to a great province such as Alberta and then you would not have the problem of losing your health coverage if you are gone for an extended period of time. So next time exempt Alberta residents from your general quote with regard to losing health coverage.

Yes and pay 10% tax instead of 5he 5% I pay now. I'm also out of province for 200 days every year since 2004. Sort of uses up the Alberta travel exemption.

And best of all there is not a sour gas well within 500 miles.

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
Firstep1 wrote:
Gruffy wrote:
They don't seem to realize that if a Canadian spends more then 180 or 200 days depending on province, they no longer have health care in Canada and their travel insurance is void. Having valid provincial health care is a requirement for most Snowbird insurance policies.

Your Statement is not quite true if you live in Alberta. If you are going to travel for a extended amount of time outside of Alberta (more than 6 months) you may extend it up to 2 years (24 months) for travel, personal visits or educational leave but you need to notify them while still in Alberta. We have done this a couple of times.

Fred

Gruffy, you really need to move to a great province such as Alberta and then you would not have the problem of losing your health coverage if you are gone for an extended period of time. So next time exempt Alberta residents from your general quote with regard to losing health coverage.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Moved from RVing in Canada

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
For a much more relevant and up-to-the-minute solution to this "problem", I recommend you look at this two day old article on the "closer connection" loophole.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ghostrider42
Explorer
Explorer
@Pigman1: I agree, which is why I posted it.
@2017: After researching it you are right the articles on it go back to 2009.
@Powderman426: No agenda there. It's one of the five reports I found from 2011-12

The question was if you are a Canadian or a Brit - would you change your plans to buy in the USA?
3/27/2014 - Sam passed away in his sleep after a long courageous battle with brain cancer - all vehicles have been sold

Firstep1
Explorer
Explorer
Gruffy wrote:

Fred

Lethbridge, Alberta

God made a few good heads, the rest he put hair on.

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Nothing new there, and the article contains so many inaccuracies that it's really worthless.

Not worthless. The USA is broke and looking to get revenue where ever it can. I've seen this report since 2009 - but it hasn't been enforced until now.

http://money.ca.msn.com/retirement/gordonpowers/article.aspx?cp-documentid=27140975
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
The operative word in the url is (conservative). I am sure they have an agenda as I see the words could and may quite a bit in the post. Best bet would be to verify the information with a governmental source.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing new there, and the article contains so many inaccuracies that it's really worthless.

For some real answers, see the IRS or a real expert

Some of the IRS rules
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.