cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vermilion Cliffs

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not exactly sure which forum would be best for my post, but I have to drive a new Dodge Diesel 4x4 truck from Ct. to AZ and as long as I have to make the trip I wanted to see some places I never saw before in the MH. In particular I wanted to see some places in the Vermilion Cliffs area such as Antelope canyon, marble canyon, paria canyon and anything else in that area that others have found interesting. In looking at the web sites it looks like permits are need to enter these places, and if I understood them correctly from Nov to mid March you can apply as a walk in and hike the same day. Has anyone done this? Also during this time is snow a problem, we would be staying at hotels at night.
28 REPLIES 28

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
huachuca wrote:
If you make it to Lee's Ferry, be sure to check out Lonely Dell ranch which was the name one of John Lee's wives gave to the settlement. The orchards, buildings, cemetery and general history are interesting. Condors can often be seen perched on the girders beneath Navajo Bridge in late afternoon. The nearby Cliff Dwellers grill has ice cold beer and great shrimp tacos. We enjoyed the all day boat trip and short hike to Rainbow Arch. Combine that with a tour of the dam.
I made it to Lee's ferry several years ago and did a float trip for trout, caught more than 20 nothing really big but the trip was beautiful, saw the condors and the orchard and was intrigued with the whole area. Always wanted to go back and explore that area more. With the information I got on the tread it looks like the toadstool is a hike that we can do along with antelope canyon and maybe a partial hike to the first wave(see agesilaus video) if we can get a permit. Those were informative videos. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
If you make it to Lee's Ferry, be sure to check out Lonely Dell ranch which was the name one of John Lee's wives gave to the settlement. The orchards, buildings, cemetery and general history are interesting. Condors can often be seen perched on the girders beneath Navajo Bridge in late afternoon. The nearby Cliff Dwellers grill has ice cold beer and great shrimp tacos. We enjoyed the all day boat trip and short hike to Rainbow Arch. Combine that with a tour of the dam.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janss wrote:
Yes, the Toadstools hike is relatively easy. There are also videos of it on youtube. Here is one:
Toadstools trail
Thanks Janss, I think that one is doable.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the Toadstools hike is relatively easy. There are also videos of it on youtube. Here is one:
Toadstools trail
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I said the Wave is always 'get your pass the day of the hike'. However you can assume that the cold weather months draw many fewer people to the auction so you will most likely get a permit. In the summer the odds are against you.

The Wave hike is well represented on YouTube, watch some of those. It is not a hike for newbies as there is no trail just rock cairns on a red rock trail. You can get lost, people get stranded over night. So be prepared.

Getting the Permit

The hike

Paria Canyon

I don't know if you are experienced hiking out in red rock country but bring 3 times as much water as you think you'll need.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janss wrote:
I don't know about Wave and Paria info because I'm not a major hiker.

But I can recommend the Toadstools hike. You'll find the small trailhead parking area on the north side of Hwy 89 between Page and Kanab.
I am not a major hiker either I will be 72 next month have arthritis in both knees and a torn miscues in one but can still walk, so short flat hikes are still OK. I assume the Toadstool hike is like that?

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Wave and Paria info because I'm not a major hiker.

But I can recommend the Toadstools hike. You'll find the small trailhead parking area on the north side of Hwy 89 between Page and Kanab.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Janss, have you ever hiked into the Wave or Paria canyon in the winter? From their web site you can just show up from Nov to Mid March to apply for a day permit.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Both will equally WoW you! Both are very very popular, so you should definitely make reservations rather than just showing up at the parking lot.

Upper involves a couple mile bumpy ride along the riverbed in a jeep/truck. At the entrance, you walk straight into the canyon at ground level with the walls towering above you.

Lower involves a short walk to the entrance. Then you descend alot of stairs down into the canyon. Lower has a few narrower areas, a few other steps/rock stairs that you have to maneuver through. No big deal though.

I prefer lower just because it's a little more fun, as I described. But you won't go wrong with either. There are several videos on youtube you can check out.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you guys for all the information. Those of you that have made the antelope canyon tours which one is better the upper canyon tour or the lower canyon tour?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Hi Gary!
Couldn't convince the Boss for new MH?
How much you going to be spending in the southwest?
I am sure you are going to the North Rim of Grand Canyon.
What about Zion and Bryce?
North of Page is a small museum about the dinosur in area. When we stopped, we meant the geologist that found the feathered dinosaur. He volunteers at museum. It is worth the 30-45 minutes.
No I could not convince my wife to buy new MH after our last accident. I guess my MH days are coming to an end much to my dismay. I have not sold my old one yet. I think I would like to spend at least a couple of weeks in the SW to see that whole area. I am driving a new truck to a friend that she bought the in Ct and will fly back home. Figured as long as I was driving the truck all that way I might as well see something while I am there.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
By Marble Canyon check out Navajo Bridge, Lee's Ferry, Vermillion Cliffs.

In Page, do Antelope Slot Canyon, Horseshoe Bend overlook, Dam Overlook, Wahweap Overlook, maybe tour the dam.
Here is the website for AC tours:
Antelope Canyon Tour Operators

North Rim is closed in winter until about May 15.

Snow can happen in the area, but not generally, and not much when there is a storm. It's all about elevation. We've been getting several snowstorms this winter in northern AZ. You'll have more likelihood of snow in Flagstaff and Grand Canyon South Rim. Are you going there?
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hi Gary!
Couldn't convince the Boss for new MH?
How much you going to be spending in the southwest?
I am sure you are going to the North Rim of Grand Canyon.
What about Zion and Bryce?
North of Page is a small museum about the dinosur in area. When we stopped, we meant the geologist that found the feathered dinosaur. He volunteers at museum. It is worth the 30-45 minutes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know some places are off limits to casual exploration, Antelope is Indian property and you have to join a tour group. The Wave area is maybe the the one you are thinking about since permits are given out in the morning by lottery. Paria Canyon also requires a permit for overnight camping, here is the Vermilion Cliffs BLM website.

There are 4WD roads that go into and near the area, Orderville Canyon in particular. The runs from near Jacob Lake to near Kanab. About 30 miles. Plus many 4WD roads around the North Rim area.

I suggest this book if you want a lot more info
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper