cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington - North Cascades National Park

punkin_
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I will be traveling to the Pacific NW summer 2014 for a couple months. I am finding lots of info on RV.net on other sites we might visit in Washington, Oregon and Northern California on this trip, however, I'm not finding much info on visiting North Cascades National Park.

I would like recommendations for a campground to use as a base camp for 3-4 days to explore NCNP. The campground needs to be able to accommodate our rig, 36' class A and tow dinghy, dry camping is okay as long as we fit.

I would also like recommendations for the best way to experience the park, aside from back packing for a period of time. Day hikes are great, scenic drives are great, picnics at an overlook or by a lake are great...we can't do overnights away from the motorhome unless the dog goes with us. I have books with national park info in them but would like to hear from people that are familiar with the park.

Any guidance or info would be greatly appreciated.
punkin'
Class A
14 REPLIES 14

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
Pearrygin State Park will accommodate your rig easily--BUT Washington State Park campgrounds fill up FAST. Go on-line and make your reservation early so you can guarantee a spot if you're going there. Enjoy your visit!
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
A good CG just west of Newhalem run by the NPS, don't know if your RV will fit in there or not, check with the NCNP folks. Highly recommend the lake tour by boat which is headquartered in Newhalem, a fun trip and lots to learn! Colonial CG within the park is pretty good also but you need to check with the NPS people on particulars.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a photo from where I camped on Diablo Lake (this was a boat-in only site). My sister took the picture--it's me in the barely-seen kayak.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
North Cascades National Park is different in that there is not one attraction such as Mt. Rainier or the Olympic Mts. to describe its attraction as a National Park. It's attraction rather is WA-20, the North Cascades Highway, which goes through the park over the rugged North Cascades. It is the longest mountain pass crossing the Cascades in this state, and it goes over 2 passes: Washington Pass and Rainy Pass. If there is one scenic attraction for this National Park I believe it would be the scenery in and around Ross Lake east of Diablo, and Marblemount described by other posters here.

When I am at Mt. Rainier or Olympic NP's I "feel" like I am in a NP. Not so at North Cascades NP. I feel like I'm on a beautiful drive through very rugged mountains.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We love North Cascades NP, and visit there often. Unfortunately, there are not many options for larger rigs. Since we come from the west, we like to stay at Howard Miller Steelhead County Park in Rockport, or the NP campground in Newhalem. There are also CG's on the East side that others have mentioned, but most of the NFS/DNR CG's are pretty tight.

There are great hikes in or near the Park:

Sauk Mountain near Rockport

Blue Lake near Washington Pass (where they filmed the opening scenes from Ice Road Truckers before the road opened for the year). Also take the walk to the lookout at WA Pass.

Rainy Lake, and Maple Pass near Rainy Pass

Goat Peak near Mazama.

Windy Pass, Dead Horse Point, and Harts Pass also near Mazama. The road is not for the faint of heart even in a Jeep.

There is also a great walk from the Newhalem NP CG through massive Cedars along the Skagit River to amazing (lighted) gardens behind the power station.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Twisp, I believe. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest checking into Winthrop or Twist as a home base. We stayed at the KOA in Winthrop and it was fine, typical KOA, friendly staff, a little overpriced. There is also Pearrygin Lake State Park and Pine Near RV Park which is pretty well rated but I've never stayed at either.
Checking out Lake Chelan is also a must and they have a state park but as I remember the sites were short so I'd stay at Lakeshore RV Park
Its beautiful country and Twist is a fun town to visit.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I like Colonial Creek Campground but I don't think your rig will fit there. Newhalem might be a better choice.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We stay here during Deer Season every October

pawatt wrote:
MaverickBBD wrote:
We like to stay in Twisp at Rivers Edge. It is a little further "out" but we like to explore the Methow Valley.

We liked this park as well and extended our stay here while we explored the area. They have a great farmers market in town.
Bob

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:
We like to stay in Twisp at Rivers Edge. It is a little further "out" but we like to explore the Methow Valley.

We liked this park as well and extended our stay here while we explored the area. They have a great farmers market in town.
pawatt

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I really enjoy the Diablo Lake Boat Tour. Note that reservations are required.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
WA 20 goes through the North Cascades Natl. park.
There is quite a distance between points that would not justofy to me to set up at one location.
I would suggest staying a day or two around Rockport, Marblemount or Newhalem. There is a nice county park at Rockport right along the Skagit River. There is a Forest service campground near Newhalem. Marblemount as a couple small commercial parks. Nice park at Colinial Creek on Diablo Lake.
I would then move over by Mazama. There is several nation forest campgrounds along the way.
Next stop would be at Winthrop. Small town with western theme. Several commercial campgrounds in area and Perrygan State Park.
It is just to big to day trip from each end.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have done your home work you will already know about this web site.

The Park

The national park is a huge plot of land set mostly on its side, and has few access roads. Most of the accesses are off highway #20 as horse and back pac trails.

The east side is bounded by the State forests full of DNR camp sites.

Newhalem Wa is the one place that has an interpretation site just west of town, and the goodall camp ground is about 2 miles west from there. it is mostly for smaller rigs and is right on the river.

Next town west is Marblemount with a couple private campgrounds and services. There isn't much from there to Rockport where you'll find Steelhead RV park, and the day use area of Rockport State park. and the 530 highway to Arlington and I-5 to Seattle

Concrete is a small town west of Rockport, that is the entry to the Baker lake recreational area. that is also called the Mount Baker National forest. lots of bike and hiking trails.

highway intersects with I-5 at Burlington where we have all the big box stores and any service you need such as Freight liner M/H services. Camping World. and great restaurants.

To get to the only camp grounds with in the Cascades National Park you must go into Canada to the town of Hope and return to the US on 40 miles of improved gravel road.
That gets you to Lake Ross at the north end. where the US side of the border has several large M/H type camping spots.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
There are many RV Parks/campgrounds in the area. Private, NFS, and state parks are available. We like to stay in Twisp at Rivers Edge. It is a little further "out" but we like to explore the Methow Valley. Winthrop can get a little crowded during peak season. If possible you should cross Hwy. 20. Baker Lake is really nice and the view will take your breath away.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107