cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car parked at home while gone

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a need to add fuel stabilizer (ie. Sta-bil) to the fuel system of any vehicles left parked at home while gone three months over the winter?

I know fuels are better these days and was wondering if they are stable enough to not cause any issues if left as is for 3 months.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
56 REPLIES 56

jojolou
Explorer
Explorer
I use Stabil in my car and connect a battery tender to the battery while we are gone, never had any problems.
Lou
2008 Allegro Bay 35 TSB W-25.5

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
The general rule for gasoline out of the pump is 90 days. Some gasolines may be stable for up to 5 or 6 months, however, this is totally dependent on the blender's chemicals, when the gasoline is "manufactured". So, the question now is: do you want to take a chance?

The issues with gasoline stored past 3 months without added stabilizer (just the out of pump gas) are:

-oxidation (can corrode a steel gas tank and/or steel gasoline lines)

-weathering (changes evaporation: loss of volatile components; ie. storing in cold/cool climate is better)

-moisture (well, virtually all gasolines today have ethanol, so moisture in the gas tank is a non issue)

My personal rule of thumb is: if the truck is going to sit more than 100 days, will add fuel stabilizer, THEN fill the tank, and then drive for at least 15 minutes to make sure the stabilizer circulates through the entire fuel system. Your mileage may vary....

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
The last point made about rolling the insurance back to just comprehensive on the car left at home raised a question in my mind....albeit maybe a dumb one.

My question is suppose the vehicle a person rolled the insurance back on is stolen while in storage. Now this person has got a vehicle that he owns being driven without collision or liability insurance on it. If the thief wrecks the car or causes injury or death would the car owner be covered for this mayhem?

You would not be covered under your scenario. I wouldn't change the coverage on the stored car. If you can afford the RV you can pay the insurance for the car not used. At the end of the day it's just not alot of money.

FYI-not a dumb question.

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
The last point made about rolling the insurance back to just comprehensive on the car left at home raised a question in my mind....albeit maybe a dumb one.

My question is suppose the vehicle a person rolled the insurance back on is stolen while in storage. Now this person has got a vehicle that he owns being driven without collision or liability insurance on it. If the thief wrecks the car or causes injury or death would the car owner be covered for this mayhem?
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

gwinn1952
Explorer
Explorer
I just park my car in the garage while away in Florida for 6 months. My husband puts a trickle charger on it for the battery. Just call your insurance company and put on storage (comprehension)...save some money. Have never had a problem and I'm in my 7th year.

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
Have been going south for 3 months for 3 years now and never have had an issue with the wifes car when we return.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
simply saying that one does not need to worry about it is questionable advice.
Everything on this board is questionable advice.

The advice on this entire forum is worth exactly what you pay for it!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

There is some real good advice out there mixed in with a whole lot of "I thinks". As Reagan said, "Trust but verify".

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
simply saying that one does not need to worry about it is questionable advice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CountryCoachrv
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
Has anyone found a need to add fuel stabilizer (ie. Sta-bil) to the fuel system of any vehicles left parked at home while gone three months over the winter?

I know fuels are better these days and was wondering if they are stable enough to not cause any issues if left as is for 3 months.

We leave our car parked in our garage for the entire winter, in Maryland, without adding anything, been doing this for at least 10 years and we are gone for around 5 months each winter. Car always starts right up when we return, I do put the battery charger on the battery for a few hours when we return to make sure it has a full charge. I do fill the gas tank up before leaving for the winter so that probably helps. Age of the car might be an issue, it is a 1995 model so might not be as picky as is a newer car.
CC Coach RVer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
thecampingman wrote:
Nothing is needed to store a car over the winter in a northern climate.
Maybe your post will be more convincing than mine.

While I do nothing but remove the keys when parking a car for three months, I have to believe there is some degradation of fuel if it sits for too long. Might be six months, might be sixteen, but simply saying that one does not need to worry about it is questionable advice. Anyone who has come home to a frozen battery can appreciate that there are things to do when parking a vehicle in the northern climate.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
Hundreds of manufactures of gasoline engines recognize that gasoline deteriorates over time.
Great. Hope it helps the OP.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
If the subject was small engines I guess that would be appropriate.

Let's see if you understand it this way. Hundreds of manufactures of gasoline engines recognize that gasoline deteriorates over time. They may all be wrong, but I doubt it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the subject was small engines I guess that would be appropriate.