cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington state Olympic and areas around

southtexas
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for recommendations for campgrounds, prefer full hook up or at least water and electric around Olympic National park, I believe we will spend most of the time on the North side
11 REPLIES 11

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay on the coast side kalaloch campground is nice (clay lock is how it is pronounced) it does get very busy but they have sites right on the cliffs edge from the water.
Winnebago Access 24V

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest staying in Sequim or at the KOA in Port Angeles as they are the closest to the highway when you want to go anywhere. Fort Worden is great,but is out of your way for daily travel as is Salt Creek. Fort Worden and Salt Creek are also almost impossible to get into during the season.
If you're coming up from the south on 101 from Olympia,I would suggest a night or two in the Hoodsport Area to see Lake Cushman and the Staircase Area. Then two or three nights at Point Hudson or Fort Worden in Port Townsend,if you can get in,and then head for Gilgal or Rainbow in Sequim or the KOA in P.A. area for a week or so for your northern base camp. From P.A., you can easily do day trips to Forks,Neah Bay,Salt Creek,Sol Duc Hot Springs,Deer Park,Hurricane Ridge and at least a day trip to Victoria.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

southtexas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips we think we will be on the north side (closer to Port Angeles) so I will see where the parks are located in relation to that side.

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
X-2 for Salt Creek Recreation Area.Camped there 2 years ago.Very beautiful campground. Water and electricity,no sewer.If I remember reservations were made through the mail starting at the begining of the year.From the campground you can see the straight of Fuca.You would really like the place.Check it out

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Join the Escapees Club, members only, Chimacum Evergreen Coho, very nice park, full hook up $300.00 month plus E. Very near the Olympic NP. Wonderful people too. Cheap to join too.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We camped here at a significant minus tide with a group that included several marine biologists. It was a truly amazing marine environment.

mockturtle wrote:
Salt Creek Recreation Area is beautiful and has water & electric.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really good campgrounds all around. We stayed at Gilgal Oasis and it was very clean and paved and nice. There are a number of other good choices in this region also: Take your pick
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Creek Recreation Area is beautiful and has water & electric.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Also the time of year makes a difference. What size rig, many of the great sites are not big rig friendly, but there are options.

It's a great trip, you will love it.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
What are your actual goals? The rain-forest? The coast? The inner Olympic high country? Hood Canal? The dry area around Sequim (12 inch/year vrs the 400 plus in the upper Hoh rain-forest)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The Olympic penn. is best seen by toad/car, one of the best parks is this one
http://www.olympicpeninsula.org/lodging/fort-worden-state-park-rv-campsites.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.