cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV site close to NYC?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for a site for several days close to Manhattan and Brooklyn for my 24' motorhome so the family can come see us at our campsite or we can go see them.The site could be in New Jersey. I was told to check Liberty Harbor RV Park but the reviews scared me. Seemed too tight of a space for family to come over. Too much like a parking lot. Where is the CLOSEST I can get to NYC?
15 REPLIES 15

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider a CG west of the city with highway access to Brooklyn and Manhattan. There is a small county campground in Old Bethpage, Long Island called Battle Row County Park. It is run by Nassau County and is very close to Bethpage State Park where they hold the US Open Golf Tournament sometimes. 30 amp electric and water, no sewer but a dump station. Its about 30 miles from Brooklyn and Manhattan. It has more of a campground feel than the parking lot at Liberty Harbor.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While it is a 45 minute train ride away, I also suggest Croton Point. While there, take a drive to Croton Dam.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
From a convenience point of view recommend Croton point. Traditional camping within a mile of the train station. Easy access to Manhattan and NYC metro area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
Looks like there are a few on Long Island, but we have never been to any of them. Take a look at RVPark Reviews and check their NY map.
We have used the KOA mentioned above. It fits your needs, other than the fact it is quite a ride to the city.

We've also stayed in Long Island a few times to visit NYC although we just stayed at county campgrounds. You can drive in from LI but we just used the commuter train to get in / out and it worked great.

If you do drive around NYC / LI, one thing to know is that you CANNOT go on parkways - some have bridges as low as 9 or 10'.

Good luck.

Explorer
Explorer
Other than Liberty Harbor you are going to be a considerable distance from Manhattan and Brooklyn and you will need to travel strictly by public transportation for one or more hours with the commuters depending on time of day to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn. There are two campgrounds in Nassau County on Long Island that are run by the County. One at a beach and another in a wooded setting. The Lido Beach campground is about 45 minutes by train to Manhattan with a switch to the subway to get to Brooklyn. Battle Row Campground (no battleground was ever there) in Bethpage is about an hour from Manhattan by train with the same switch to the subway to get to Brooklyn.

Once you get to the campground just leave your RV there and do not even think about taking it into Manhattan or Brooklyn. These are not places to drive an RV or expect to park it - anywhere. Have the friends or relatives come meet you at the campground with their car and take you to where you all want to go. Long Island is not as bad with driving an RV (stay off the parkways due to extreme low clearances) but parking a large RV is also going to be a challenge to find a large enough parking lot other than malls and large shopping centers.

Yes, Liberty Harbor is a large parking lot but it is extremely convenient to Manhattan and Brooklyn and should be able to accommodate your RV. No matter where you go, campgrounds charge extra for visitors.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Croton Pt. campground. Train station is next to campground. Croton-On_Hudson.

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to be in New Jersey and don't want to stay at Liberty Harber, your next best area is Northwest Jersey. Fla-Net is in Netcong, off I-80 at Exit 27. From there it is about an hour to Brooklyn via Staten Island during off-peak hours. There is also a campground in Hope, N.J. off I-80 at exit 12, about another half-hour west. Mahlon Dickerson county park in Morris County is off Rt. 15 and has at least electric hookups if not also water.

If you are coming from the south, Turkey Swamp is a county park in Monmouth County off I-195. It has water and electric. There are also some private campgrounds in that area. Access to Brooklyn is again through Staten Island.

I don't know of any campgrounds worth staying at along I-78.

Except for Liberty Harbor, that's the best you are going to do in New Jersey, an hour to an hour and a half drive from the city.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is not touring NY. He wants to visit relatives or have them visit him at his campsite.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not familiar with the area, drivers, roads, traffic, etc... You should stay at liberty harbor. It will make your NYC tour/stay much more enjoyable and less stress. Not to mention, liberty park, across the street from the campground is very nice and great views of the city.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Newburg KOA runs a bus to the city for tours. It is there own Bus. Forgot to mention, it is only a few mins drive to Orange County Choppers and see many of the Motor Cycles seen on TV and watch ones being built through the glass
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOU can stay at a hotel in Secaucus with good access to NYC via NJ Transit bus to Port Authority. Trip less than 45 minutes in rush hour, 20 minutes during other times. They have free parking. Check Clarion hotel Secaucus and others including Extended stay America (check reviews on this one).
Also some county parks on Long Island have camping
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like there are a few on Long Island, but we have never been to any of them. Take a look at RVPark Reviews and check their NY map.
We have used the KOA mentioned above. It fits your needs, other than the fact it is quite a ride to the city.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is the only place to stay if you are going to NYC to visit NYC! If you are going to "CAMP", then don't plan on Liberty Harbor It isn't a mile walk to the PATH train, more like 1/4 mile. My 5 and 8 year old was able to walk it with no problem and we never felt unsafe, even returning after midnight.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park, Jersey City, NJ, is just a large gravel parking lot with water and electric hookups. It is not a place you can sit around your campfire and visit with relatives. But, if you are there to visit New York City it is in a great location. It is just a mile or so walk to a train which takes you under the Hudson River to the World Trade Center in Manhattan where you can change to subways to get to anywhere in the city. A commuter ferry also makes a stop right at the park.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"