cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water softener recommendations

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we will be in the RGV this winter between Nov-March and understand the water can be on the hardish side. Need some recommendations for a water softener that is reasonably priced for our rig please. Thanks
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487
12 REPLIES 12

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Almcc, that is RO water you are getting from the water kiosks all over Arizona. UV treatment is for bacteria only, will do nothing for hard/alkaline water.

Yes, it's RO water, not UV (sorry!), although UV may be part of that treatment. Not sure about Arizona but in California those water folks are monitored/licensed by the state.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to those that took the time to respond. I have decided on the RV Pro 10000 by Flopur. It is on sale for $173 from the company with free shipping.:C
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our Flopure water softener for the last three years while we're in the Texas Hill Country. Depending on how well the park's RO system was operating, I'd have to regenerate the softener every 10 days to 3-4 weeks. It really made a difference on showering and cooking water. We still run the softened water through a distiller for drinking and making coffee in the Keurig. I have the one that uses two pounds of non-iodized salt for regeneration. When we got ours there was also another model that used only one pound of salt, but the guys in the park that used those had to regenerate sooner than I did. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Almcc, that is RO water you are getting from the water kiosks all over Arizona. UV treatment is for bacteria only, will do nothing for hard/alkaline water.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
John&Joey wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Been to RGV many times. Never noticed hard water.

All you need to do is wash your car a few times and you can't see out the windows. Maybe you're lucky and are in a park without that problem.

Only reason I commented is because we had a cat for 20 plus years that was always healthy. When we got to the RGV the cat developed a UTI within a couple of months. So now I tell everyone if you have a pet give them bottled water when you're down there.
Maybe that's why. We always give our cats filtered water and use filtered water for our coffee.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
joebedford wrote:

All you need to do is wash your car a few times and you can't see out the windows. Maybe you're lucky and are in a park without that problem.

Only reason I commented is because we had a cat for 20 plus years that was always healthy. When we got to the RGV the cat developed a UTI within a couple of months. So now I tell everyone if you have a pet give them bottled water when you're down there.

We have exactly the same experience when we have spent time in the south west US, our dog developed a UT problem and the vet was surprised that we didn't know that the local water caused the problem. We went onto bottled or UV treated water and then we went with a softener after the shower head in the RV packed it in (clogged with hard debris) after a couple of years. In the Yuma RV stores there is a great selection of replacement shower and water taps, the water quality is the obvious reason!

We don't drink the soft water because of the salt content, still rely on UV treated water from the dispensers that seem to be everywhere in the SW.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in Terlingua at Big Bend back in 2010. The water was so hard you could see the particulates, like chew your coffee! Like rr2254545 we ordered a Flopur. No more bottled water.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an On the Go softener, the one that takes 2 cans of table salt to regenerate (the next up from the base model. The water stays soft for a while before regeneration is required, probably about 2 months and that's using a clothes washer in the hard water area in southern California. Works great!

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our setup;

Got our 'On the Go' at a local RV store.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
Looks like we will be in the RGV this winter between Nov-March and understand the water can be on the hardish side. Need some recommendations for a water softener that is reasonably priced for our rig please. Thanks

I posted this last week on here

Just camped for a week using the portable water softener I got after many years of camping - wow it worked great and makes cleaning the sinks and shower a breeze, company says will last 1-2 weeks before you need to regenerate it using 2 lbs of table salt.

I thought they were more expensive than they are - a work camper tipped me off to get it straight from the maker in Ohio.

Price was $173 no freight or tax to Minnesota, $227 on sale at camping world currently

PS I have nothing to do with this company

https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks