cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We need good camping places, Mississippi river valley

Lynnsr
Explorer
Explorer
We are making a trip south in the spring, I would like some ideas for good camping areas along the Mississippi River Valley, from Missouri to New Orleans/ Pensacola, Florida.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Lynn & Joan
K0LFM Call Sign
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 20' FB
Pro-Craft 180 Bass boat
2003 GMC Sierra 2500,, Ride-Rites w/dual Control, Helwig rear sway bar, "E" rated 16" 10 ply Michelins, Heavy Duty Pads & Rotors
6 REPLIES 6

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for Lake Chicot State Park and Tom Sawyer RV Park. We also enjoyed the Mississippi River State Park in Marriana, Arkansas. Trail of Tears State Park near Cape Giradeau, Missouri has campsites beside the Mississippi River. Mark Twain Cave and Campground in Hannibal is near the river.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not knowing your route, and you mentioned the Mississippi River, Lake Chicot State Park is in the lower eastern part of Arkansas just across the river from Greenville, MS and I believe a bit north of Grand Gulf Military Park, MS. Chicot is nice, nothing to write home about, but for a stop over, we liked it very much. And we did actually from there head to Grand Gulf Military Park, but did not stay there.
Hope this helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Sawyers RV Park West Memphis AR.

Right ON the Mississippi! Watching all the barges go by during the day and all lighted up at night is priceless.
Real nice CG. You can park on concrete pads right on the river.

Note: Use 'their' directions in. Do NOT use your GPS directions. Been there did that gps took me thru a very very very bad part of town.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
Grand gulf is our favorite park in miss/louisianna area. Headed there tomorrow. If you into civil war history, you have the museum and grounds plus your less than an hour from Vicksburg battle grounds. Also an hour to the petrified forest and museum. Closer to New Orleans I'd recommend fountain blue sp.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riverview RV Park Ferriday, La. -- across from Natchez
Grand Gulf Military State Park near Port Gibson MS.
Tom Sawyers RV Park West Memphis AR.
I found a few COE parks along upper Mississippi River, but haven't looked too hard in the south. Might check out Arkabutla Lake near Tunica, MS.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a senior and have the federal parks pass, you will save much money on Federal campgrounds. If you want to stick close to the river however, there are few Federal facilities.

Pensacola, I highly recommend Ft. Pickens National Seashore campground.

The pass will save you lots of money at Ft Pickens however, as the day use fee you must pay is $16 for a week, nothing with the pass, and camping is half price. Chose campsites carefully as some have lots of low hanging limbs. Use Google satellite view to help you, AND Google Street View of the campground loops (yes, street view all the way around all the loops.) Stay away from loops B and D, no street view because of the limbs. These are only suitable for tents and popups.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.