cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West Montana suggestions

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in September to West Montana/Glacier Park area. Looking for suggestions for RV parks, Scenic back roads ( have a street legal side by side atv), etc. Thanks.
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884
23 REPLIES 23

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
We went that way a couple years ago, and found Yaak Valley, MT a beautiful place. Had a nice big campground near there . Believe it was rt 2. We took a ride upon to Yaak, so pretty. Certainly worth the look!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
RicB wrote:
We are planning a trip in September to West Montana/Glacier Park area. Looking for suggestions for RV parks, Scenic back roads ( have a street legal side by side atv), etc. Thanks.

Someone mentioned Ennis, I boondocked in that area, nice quiet area. If you like boondocking, there is a large boondocking area near Henry's Lake off bootjack road. There is also a free campground on Henry's Lake, forgot the name. I think it is a state park. Lovely area, watch the weather, things can change quick up there.

Bill Frome County Park is the free CG on Henry's Lake - here a review of it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
RicB wrote:

Someone mentioned Ennis, I boondocked in that area, nice quiet area. If you like boondocking, there is a large boondocking area near Henry's Lake off bootjack road. There is also a free campground on Henry's Lake, forgot the name. I think it is a state park. Lovely area, watch the weather, things can change quick up there.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Renee,
You are welcome and enjoy your trip. If you are a Passport America member that is a plus. I saved enough for 2 year's membership.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43. Thanks for the feedback. I called North American RV Park to check availability this time of year and they said no problem. We'll be there in about a week. We too liked that they have open sites for our satellite.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are at North American RV Park right now, having arrived today. It is in Coram, about 5 miles from Glaciers west entrance. Very nice park with a helpful staff. It is not heavily wooded but some sites have trees. Our site is in the open because we wanted to get satellite for the football games. We looked at Mountain Meadows but it was too wooded for us. It is later in September and the temps are falling and the sun feels good in the afternoon at our site.
Tuesday we take the Red Bus Tour in the park. Looking forward to someone else doing the driving as there is a lot of traffic even this time of year.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we stayed at Mountain Meadows, we had a 22' travel trailer. It's a beautiful campground, very wooded. Now that we have a 35' fifth wheel and satellite, we won't go back due to the size of our rig and the trees.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see the good recommendations for Mountain Meadows as we have been considering that for next summer! If anyone has any specific comments/recommendations about that place, I would love to hear (see) them.

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I may as well add my enthusiastic voice to this:

Mountain Meadows was good for us

Us too. We just returned from this campground and had a wonderful time and the workers there were fantastic. I've already recommended it to our friends.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I may as well add my enthusiastic voice to this:

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Johnson's on the east side of Glacier, considerably less than the KOA. Had a bear walk thru while I was fixing dinner..oh my. If you get near Missoula, the national bison range is nearby. In September the elk should be starting their matting ritual. Really fun to watch, and as this is not a big name place few people.also bision, big horn sheep and pronghorn.

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed in Kalispell a couple times at Spruce Park On The River. It's a nice spot with some sites right along the Flathead River
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We looked at the West Glacier KOA but aren't a fan of camping without trees.
Agreed. The West Glacier KOA is a very nice CG, and tours of Glacier NP pick you up right at the CG (they don't do that for any of the other CGs outside the park, that I know of). But when we had made our reservations for it, we were looking at old pictures and were looking forward to camping in a pine woods. Got there - almost no trees! Turned out they had cut many of them down to make room for bigger rigs and those who want satellite connections. ๐Ÿ˜ž We enjoyed our stay, but would sure have loved the woods. I believe it was Mountain Meadows we drove into & peeked at, and they are quite wooded.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375