cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Campground for Mount Rushmore Area

RuthieT
Explorer
Explorer
We will be spending 3-4 nights in the Mount Rushmore area. Where would be a good local place that would be in the middle of all to see in that place/area??
21 REPLIES 21

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
Big Pine campground in Custer is really nice:

http://www.bigpinecampground.com/

It is good to here Big Pine is nice. We will be staying their this coming July. I picked Big Pine because of reviews on clean bathrooms and nice owners.
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Big Pine campground in Custer is really nice:

http://www.bigpinecampground.com/

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

bigdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Rafter J

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in the offseason. The KOA is the closest, but they wanted $35 for DRY CAMPING. HUH? Needless to say we didn't stay there and won't.

bclan6
Explorer
Explorer
tappt wrote:
Bob & Ann wrote:
Our favorite is Rafter J Bar. We will be there this June

We'll be there is June also!

Us too!!

tappt
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:

We'll be there is June also!
2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4 (w/Mods)
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.brokenarrowhorsecamp.com/frame2.html
This is an absoult jewel. we stayed here several years ago used to be on Passport America, don't know if it still is?
But great spot out of the way. a few miles souther of town and we'll go back another day.
C

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
hello everyone,
I'd like to awaken those new to this type of question is that the most reviewed ,suggested camps are because they are the largest, thus get more visitors, thus more responders.
I've even seen posters here and on rvparkreviews.com slam their fav in effort to make it less busy.
There' s many a hidden jewel smaller camp about.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty certain it was Korczak Kiolkowski who sculpted and carved Crazy Horse. His wife and children took over the project when he died. I agree that a visit to the monument is a must see along with Rushmore.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J is a great and the Island is our favorite.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions. Personal preference is Rafter J Bar Ranch, since there's so much diversity of sites and it's a large resort. Hill City area is centrally located for most everything in the Black Hills Region.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really liked Horse Thief Campground just outside of Hillcity. Located right on Needles HWY. very nice place with beautiful views of the surrounding hills.

HillCity is a great central area for sightseeing in the Hills!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Check out This link. The area must be the most "camped in" area in the west. Rafter J and the Mt. Rushmore KOA are probably the most popular and have the most things for both adults and kids to do.
The Mount Rushmore monument is free if you have the National Parks Pass, but parking isn't free. $3 the last time I was there. The citizens of the area paid for the parking area to keep the crowds from parking along the two lane road. Visitors do it anyway, but the walk is uphill from either direction. Be sure to see Crazy Horse while there. Its on the same road as Mt. Rushmore. Gutzon Borglum carved both monuments, but its privately owned and requires a separate admission. It isn't expensive, and most of the money goes for college tuition for Native Americans living in the area.
Since Custer is a state park, it requires a separate admission fee, but worth it. There's a lot of wildlife roaming around Custer S.P. Especially wild burros. Their ancestors were abandoned years ago by unsuccessful miners. They have quite a scam going. One stands in the road to stop traffic and the others go from car to car begging for food. Take some carrots, but hold on to the green parts. They have sharp teeth and lousy eye sight. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.