cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When will you start the flight south?

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious as I am getting itchy feet to head south. Will eventually land in the Quartzsite area but is way too hot still so sightseeing in a convoluted trip down from the Seattle area.

We will arrive around the first of Nov. When do you head south and where this year?
76 REPLIES 76

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
It's time we leave Mon ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Mid October here.
pawatt

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We noticed some Winter Texans arriving yesterday at a local park! Earliest we have seen so far.

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Texas cold and wet is OK with me. It will still be about 50-70 degrees warmer than home in January. I'm leaving the last week of September, date to be determined by wind. Taking in college homecoming with my kids, a little genealogy research, and sightseeing, reaching San Antonio around Dec 1.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
With El Nino we've been having some great weather here. Hate to leave too early and miss out on it. Thinking we might push it from mid October to sometime in November. That will be the latest we've ever left.
We have had a run of really good weather here also. This will be the first winter not heading south in a long time. Not looking forward to it.

If what they are predicting for this winter's weather comes true, you might be the smartest snowbird yet this season.

If Texas is cold and wet again that will make at least 3 years running. Might have to start looking at our options also. Hard to say if what is going on is an exception, or the new norm. Only time will tell.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
With El Nino we've been having some great weather here. Hate to leave too early and miss out on it. Thinking we might push it from mid October to sometime in November. That will be the latest we've ever left.
We have had a run of really good weather here also. This will be the first winter not heading south in a long time. Not looking forward to it.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
There were a couple of flocks of geese out practicing formations this morning. That does not speak well for a long autumn.

Oldcoots
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote

Posted: 08/30/15 12:11pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Oldcoots wrote:

Posted: 08/27/15 06:04pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
leave early Oct, I am leading an RV Caravan through Mexico for 2 months, then I head back home for Christmas leaving my RV in Az,& pick up my wife, then down to Melaque, Mexico in Jan just to chill out for 4 more months. Lots of driving, but lots of sun as well.

2007 Dodge 5.9 SB (Former chev dually)
2014 Northwood Snowriver 234RBS
One wife, one Dog
RV Caravan Wagon Master

Which RV Park do you stay when you are there?

Laguna del Tule. We also use it for caravans but not til early March when it starts to empty. A few years ago you had to reserve a year in advance, but it's a bit easier now and they have some plans to expand it if business increases. The spots are in, but not serviced yet.

After mid March the busloads of 2-3 day trippers start to arrive from Guadalajara once the attached hotel empties of gringos. Then the pool is full of kids. I hate kids.

Thank you for the information it looks very nice

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
December 26. ๐Ÿ˜„

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Oldcoots wrote:
leave early Oct, I am leading an RV Caravan through Mexico for 2 months, then I head back home for Christmas leaving my RV in Az,& pick up my wife, then down to Melaque, Mexico in Jan just to chill out for 4 more months. Lots of driving, but lots of sun as well.

One wife, one Dog
RV Caravan Wagon Master

Laguna del Tule. We also use it for caravans but not til early March when it starts to empty. A few years ago you had to reserve a year in advance, but it's a bit easier now and they have some plans to expand it if business increases. The spots are in, but not serviced yet.

After mid March the busloads of 2-3 day trippers start to arrive from Guadalajara once the attached hotel empties of gringos. Then the pool is full of kids. I hate kids.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering when this Post would show up...lol We are here (Rockport, TX) already and it is wonderful since the kiddos went back to school. Low traffic, in the streets, bay, beaches, stores, and food joints! We are hearing of lots of early arrivals as soon as October! Looking forward to the Winter Texans arrival as the summer tourists are just go-go-go due to their limited vacation/weekend time. The Winter Texans are much more laid back.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We arrive at our Adirondack cottage a week or so before Thanksgiving, and then head south after spending the holidays with our kids and catching up on annual doctors appointments. We usually get going shortly after the first of the year and take a week to ten days getting to Florida. A few years ago, we could get to Florid in January with no reservations, and have no problems finding parks to stay at. Now we start making reservations as early as the parks allow to make sure we can get sites where and when we want them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Oldcoots
Explorer
Explorer

One wife, one Dog
RV Caravan Wagon Master

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
Quartzsite AZ has seen less RVers for several years. I think fewer retired folks are buying into the RV lifestyle and younger families stay closer to home. Will be interesting to see what this year brings. Travel safe and enjoy!!

Don't know about that in Florida. The winter park we stay in was booked 100% last February, and they tell me that they are already booked 100% again with reservations.

Florida has experienced two record breaking tourist seasons, (Number of visitors)in a row.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006