cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where should we go & what should we see?

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of planning our long trip of 2015 and would greatly appreciate any suggestion all of you could offer. So far we know that we would like to travel from New York State to the Amish country of Ohio. From there we would like to go to Kentucky and Tennessee before stopping in the Great Smoky Mountains. Then through the Blue Ridge area and Pennsylvania before returning home. Where would you recommend that we stay and what are the can't miss stops? Thank you in advance for any suggestion that you can give us!
19 REPLIES 19

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you all are real cavers, one day at Mammoth is enough. Get off the main roads when in Ohio and stop at some of the homes that sell things like baskets, or hand made furniture. It is a great area to visit. We just did KY and TN. Lots of bourbon in KY, one or two distilleries is plenty unless you are a true bourbon drinker. Woodford reserve is probably the most beautiful tour to take. Visit downtown Louisville for the Louisville Slugger factory, Churchill downs. Lexington has some great horse farms to see. Once again get off the main roads and see what is out there.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never seen the Biltmore house......you should. It can take the whole day to do the house, gardens and winery. Wife and I have been there several times and always enjoy it. It is a bit pricey at 69 bucks a ticket, then throw in a meal or 2 and a case of wine to bring home and wow. They do offer a discount if you buy tickets online tho. Check their web site.... Biltmore.com.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asheville is nice. Biltmore estates. Lookup Campfire Lodgings for a nice well kept campground. Close to the parkway and few good local places to eat.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great trip. I don't know your exact route but here's what I do when planning our treks.

I would use mapquest.com and see where we would end up after 200-300 miles. Then I would use woodalls.com and http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/ to locate a campground.

Once I know where I am stopping I'd check the local chamber of commerce sites for those towns. Have found some hidden gems in those c of c sites including bluegrass festivals, ethnic festivals and some little known natural wonders. I'll also use tripadvisor.com for reviews and side trip ideas.

We aren't shoppers but we always stop at Lehmans Non Electric store in Dalton OH. They have great stuff that can be used for camping. https://www.lehmans.com/default.aspx
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mammouth Cave is a must see. Figure a couple of days to take the tours.

Take the Blue Ridge Parkway back up north when you are done.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper