cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to at the Grand Canyon

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of planning a visit to the Grand Canyon next fall. Will be in our 34' MH with toad. Will most likely keep the RV in a campground and explore the Canyon in the toad. Suggestions on where to stay and which part of the Canyon to focus most of our attention on would be appreciated. We are definitely NOT looking for hiking, horseback, or explorations that require serious physical effort. Any experiences with quality/affordable tours? Any negative experiences? Probably be able to be in that area at least 3 days. Thanks for the help.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
26 REPLIES 26

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Arrived at the South Rim during peak season. Trailer Village was full.

We found a nice spot at Kaibab National Forest, Ten-X campground, about 6 miles down 180 toward Williams. There were no hookups, but the weather was cool and no air conditioner needed. It is also very close to the Grand Canyon Airport at Tusayan, where the air tours begin and the shuttle bus is available to and from the South Rim. Can't remember the camping fee there, but it was very minimal.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Got back yesterday from 6 days in Trailer Village before heading to Moab, UT. Trailer Village was great. It was amazing to see the elk and mule deer walking through the campground (and charging the guy who thought he could walk right up to a male). The campground was also a great base from which to take the bus to so many places in the park. We hiked down 3 miles on Bright Angel Trail (2,000 ft descent and then ascent). We hiked the entire rim trail and saw some amazing views. On our 30th wedding anniversary we had a really nice dinner at the Arizona Room, sitting at the window looking to the canyon. Went to the East entrance and the Desert View Watchtower, and so much more. We completely filled all 6 days. A terrific trip, not one to be forgotten. 5,000 miles of driving and 43 miles of hiking later, we're ready to go back.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
WE stay at Lake Powell and drive to the north rim. Like it better than the south as for much fewer people. We did go to Zion, Bryce and the cedars and found those of much more interest than the GC. IMO.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park because I was able to reserve tickets for the train ride to the canyon at the same time I reserved a site for the MH. Located in Williams, it has an old timey appearance of the 50's with period restaurants, music and shops up and down the streets. The trains go right past the rv park so if you're like me and love trains, this is your spot. Everything needed is within easy walking distance including the restaurants, groceries and shopping.

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent three nights in Trailer Village. We used the shuttle to get around as we did not have a toad to drive into a village itself. Filled three days without hiking. We drove in from the east entrance and stopped at all of the overlooks. Then took the shuttle for the areas around the village and the west rim. With a toad you can drive out to the east entrance from Trailer Village. Took in two sunsets and then just climbed back on the shuttle to the campground. There is a small museum at Yavapai Point. It did rain one morning so it was easy to get back to the campground, wait out the rain, and then head back out when the sun returned. I would highly recommend staying at Trailer Village. We made reservations in June for August, but did not have a big selection of days. Reserve early if you can. Had a big bull elk roaming the campground.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Best get them as soon as you can; think they take them a year in advance and, as I recall, full refund if you cancel in more than 24 hours - that is how I remember it at least.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Trailer Village it is for us. Planning the trip for late September 2015. How early to get ressies?
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Williams AZ has some nice parks. The one by the entrance is nice too. Word of caution the two lane between Williams and the park is very dangerous with idiots trying to pass use caution.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Trailer Village IN the park itself. Why drive 100 miles daily back and forth from Williams? Staying in the park will give you much more time to really see the beauty of the park. Get away from the main congestion of the Lodges and you'll see more than most see in quieter surrounds. You can begin touring early morning and at dusk is great. The park congestion really clears out at those times and it's much more pleasant.

Also, by staying in the park if you get tired or are ready for lunch, just go back to the RV for a couple hours and relax. Then head out again.

As stated, the park's free shuttle stops right at the entrance to Trailer Village and you can get on and off wherever and whenever.

You said you're not big hikers but a couple easy things to do is take the shuttle and get off and walk a little on the Rim Trail. It's pretty much even with the road so no big hills. When you're tired, end at the next bus stop and continue on.

Another thing to do is to hike just a very short distance on the Bright Angel Trail by the Lodge. It will give you a whole different perspective of the canyon as you'll be below the rim. Even a few hundred feet is good or how long you want to go. Take water and remember...you need to walk back up, too, and it's very difficult if you're not used to hiking. So just go a little ways.

I also don't know where Dick B got his information of most people only spending three hours in the park unless they're tour bus folks. You're making a big effort and spending money to get to the Canyon. Don't cheat yourself. Spend as much time as you can.

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
While not exactly the RV'ing time of year, winter for us is the best time to see the canyon. Incredible capped with snow, no crowds and the ability to drive the west side yourself rather than wait for shuttles (west side is shuttles only except in winter).
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Stay at the South Rim so you can say you SAW the Grand Canyon rather than just have been there. Ride a hokey train ride or spend your time driving back and forth with a boring drive from Williams is simply taking from the time you should be there - sunrise and sunset.

Theres a lot to see in the entire area that would be missed. It really depends on exactly what an individual enjoys or wants to do on their visit. Whats awesome to one is boring to another. For me, I've been to the canyon dozens upon dozens of times. Each time we try to spread out and see things we've never seen before both at the canyon and in the region. We enjoy it all. Some would say you haven't seen the canyon until you visit the north rim with FAR less people and hokey gift shops and tour buses. I like it all...something different every trip!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Stay at the South Rim so you can say you SAW the Grand Canyon rather than just have been there. Ride a hokey train ride or spend your time driving back and forth with a boring drive from Williams is simply taking from the time you should be there - sunrise and sunset.

And I would make reservations well in advance at Trailer Village. Or you will not get a spot.

Make sure you read this. Lauren has it exactly right. The magical times at the canyon are sunrise and sunset. The shuttle service goes right by Trailer Village, so you won't need your toad to go everywhere. We even took the shuttle to have a great dinner at night rather than drive and try to find a parking spot.
I agree! We love the south rim and have stayed there numerous times. You can't beat Trailer Village for all the reasons mentioned. You are in the park and so close to the rim. You don't have to get up in the middle of the night to make sure you are there in time for the sunrise and you don't have to worry about driving back late in the evening after the sunset. The canyon changes from morning till night and almost every hour between. You won't regret staying there. Just make sure to take advantage of all the shuttle stops along the rim -because you get a different perspective from every overlook,and some offer great views of the Colorado! One extra benefit of being there before sunset is often the Elk come to feed on the grass right in front of the El Tovar. They are huge and magnificent! Have a wonderful time and get your reservations in now!

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
If you are at the south rim, use the shuttles. They will take you everywhere EXCEPT the east entrance where the tower is. You can also shuttle south to the town where the IMAX show is.

Expect for the east entrance you can see just about everything with the shuttles.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

Speaking as one who opted to stay in Williams, who took the hokey train ride, and who did not see the sunrise or the sunset over Grand Canyon, I can say that I still enjoyed the heck out of the experience. In fact, I think it suited us perfectly!

We took our two teens, one of whom is severely mentally handicapped, on the train and we had a ball! Sure, we only spent about 4 hours there, but that 4 hours was filled with us pushing and pulling our son up and down the trail, eating ice cream, and trying to keep my son from running to the edge constantly (he was fascinated with the drop off!)

Honestly, as much as I liked the Grand Canyon, I was glad to get back on the train and head home. We were all tired out and it was nice to just kick back and NOT drive. After a good supper and a swim in the hotel pool, the kids were pooped. I literally poured my son into his PJs and stuffed him into bed. Never heard a peep from him until the next day.

I'm sure you think that your visit to GC was far superior to mine but I will just have to disagree. I think each of us have had our own great experiences, even though they are far different from one another. Some day I hope that DH & I can return to the GC by ourselves. At that time I will happily park my butt there on the rim all day and watch the sun come up and go down. But I won't feel that it's a superior experience to the one we had with our son. Just different.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!