cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wyoming trip

cthatcher
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Wyoming. Plan to take about 1 month to see everything we can. Have kind of picked Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV camp. They told me this rv camp could be used as a base camp to see cody and on to see Yellowstone park. He said a 5 to 7 days would allow us plenty of time to see the sights. Then we were planning on going to Jackson. He said we could hit Old Faithful area on the way to Jackson. I am having difficulties finding a campground that offers all we want in Jackson. Have 34 foot camper, want wifi, pets, full hook up.
Any suggestions from anyone for campground or suggestions for our itinary.

connie
19 REPLIES 19

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
For your requirements (which are like mine), Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and the Virginian in Jackson. Both have full hookups including WIFI. And both towns have real grocery stores. Expensive, but not nearly as bad as in the park, and you have choices.
And everything is a long drive. One lap of the grand loop in YNP is 140 slow miles. And its made slower by "Buffalo Jams". When the bison want to cross the road, they cross the road. DO NOT try to drive thru them. Their huge heads house a brain the size of a pea. The rest is thick bone. I have a picture somewhere of a young lady complaining to a trooper next to her severely dented car door. Hard to give a traffic ticket to a bison. (No pockets).
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how you feel about bars but when you are in Jackson Hole be sure to visit the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. Instead of bar stools they have saddles and the huge bar is all inlaid with silver dollars. I think I remember small kids in there when we were there.

In Cody be sure to go to the Cody night time rodeo. When getting your tickets ask for the Buzzard Roost section. This is right over the pen where the cowboys get on the bulls and you can watch them getting rigged up for their (hopefully) 8 second ride. You are on top of them and watch them by looking through the stadium floor. Also, as soon as the gate opens, most of the cowboys end their ride right where it started. It is a blast!

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
Grant Village has no hook-ups, two dump stations, and the spots we were in were tight. But the neighbors were nice!

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Fishing Bridge this summer and found it convenient for getting around Yellowstone. As others have said, staying outside the park requires driving just to get there each day in addition to driving around the park. There is no Wi-fi in Fishing Bridge, but for a fee, I believe you can get wi-fi at some of the hotels in the park.

We also stayed at the Virginian in Jackson. We had a issue with the motorhome which turned out to be a minor repair and the manager of the park, who repairs motorhomes, fixed if free of charge. The park is a little pricy, but had all the ammendities we needed for the night.
Bobbie 🙂

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
Might take a look at Grant Village towards the southern end of Yellowstone. It has great wifi. Don't know if there are any FHUs.

Only full hook up is Fishing Bridge
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
cthatcher wrote:
We are planning a trip to Wyoming. Plan to take about 1 month to see everything we can. Have kind of picked Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV camp. They told me this rv camp could be used as a base camp to see cody and on to see Yellowstone park. He said a 5 to 7 days would allow us plenty of time to see the sights. Then we were planning on going to Jackson. He said we could hit Old Faithful area on the way to Jackson. I am having difficulties finding a campground that offers all we want in Jackson. Have 34 foot camper, want wifi, pets, full hook up.
Any suggestions from anyone for campground or suggestions for our itinary.

connie

Check out this post. I was asking about Yellowstone also.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28016434.cfm
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Might take a look at Grant Village towards the southern end of Yellowstone. It has great wifi. Don't know if there are any FHUs.
John A. Lichty

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with other posters. Yellowstone is huge and if you stay outside the park most of your day will be spent going to and from camp. Please consider staying at Fishing Bridge if you need hookups. The other CGs in the park are good also if you don't need hookups. There is so much to see in this wonderful park. You will see how BIG it is when you get there so take the word of many of us that have been there and stay IN the park. I could go there 2-3 times a year and never get tired of it. Enjoy!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
Colter Bay RV is your best bet to be in Grand Teton NP, but no wifi there. If you must have wifi, try the Virginian RV Park in the town of Jackson.

If you want wifi for Yellowstone, try Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. I doubt that there is wifi at Fishing Bridge.

Just as a heads up, there are pet restrictions in Yellowstone.

Fishing bridge has good Verizon Wi-Fi coverage with my Mifi. We were just there a few weeks ago
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Bridge Bay within the park is definitely a good option and roomy for any level of experience in parking an RV! As for West Yellowstone as a suggestion, yes, there are many options there with Grizzly RV and an KOA there. We prefer Bakers Hole CG, 2 miles North, with electricity and plenty of room. Baker's Hole is first come, first served and that's the only drawback. So, you have your homework planned for you. At the recommendation of another person and forum here, next time we go to Yellowstone, we're staying at Buffalo Bill State Park in a hookup site so we can check out that side of the valley.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Moved from Forum Technical Support

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay RV is your best bet to be in Grand Teton NP, but no wifi there. If you must have wifi, try the Virginian RV Park in the town of Jackson.

If you want wifi for Yellowstone, try Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. I doubt that there is wifi at Fishing Bridge.

Just as a heads up, there are pet restrictions in Yellowstone.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
No to Yellowstone Valley RV for seeing Yellowstone Park. It's too far away.
Get reservations NOW for Fishing Bridge if you think you need full hookups. Otherwise, make reservations NOW for Bridge Bay campground which has water and dump station. You won't need a/c in the park. This campground is pretty well located for seeing Yellowstone.
Then make reservations NOW for Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton, either the RV camp with full hookups or the other one with water and dump station.

Now, for Cody, you can stay at the Ponderosa RV park or Absaroka Bay RV park. Or you can go 7 miles west and stay at Buffalo Bill State Park with elec, water and dump station..make reservations as early as you can.
Cody has a fine western museum worth your time and a gorgeous scenic drive you can do in a long day..the Chief Joseph drive and Beartooth Pass over to Red Lodge MT and then back to Cody from there.

If your heart is set on full hookups but you don't like Fishing Bridge prices, think about going over to West Yellowstone. There are several rv parks in town or close to it and you are right on the edge of the park.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to seriously look at a map and check distances, this campground is 103.7 miles from the Yellowstone Fishing bridge visitor center.

And 31 miles from the campground to Cody.

Most on here would recommend camping much close as the drives in the park itself are huge also Fishing Bridge to Gardiner is 55 miles or a total of 189 miles from your proposed campground
2014 Jeep Cherokee