cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone - Labor Day Weekend 2015

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was wondering if this is too late in the season to stay at Fishing Bridge Campground in Yellowstone ?

Then we will be in the Tetons Sept. 7 & 8th with no power, can we do this without a generator ?

Yes, I realize that weather is fickle and some Septembers are mild and others not - but on the whole needing input from others who have been in these two places in September.

Will be taking the small Tamarack travel trailer.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
11 REPLIES 11

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there for five days after Labor Day in 2013 and enjoyed ideal sunny weather most days, not cold until nighttime. We were glad to have the electric hookup for our space heater, but temps were not below freezing. Your mileage may vary of course.

Services were still operating through mid-September, main exception was the cowboy cookout at Roosevelt Lodge had ended its season.

This summarizes our experience last year during Labor Day week. Nice time to go, but it does get chilly (sometimes below freezing) at night in early September, so I don't know if you'd be happy w/o a genny or electric hookups - and you would need to make sure your water system is protected if you don't have a way to heat it. Some of the activities in both YNP and GTNP have closed up by Labor Day, such as riding, rafting, etc., so it depends what you want to do. Still plenty of sightseeing available!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in Yellowstone all through September. Naturally, you can't be sure of weather but for the most part, we had nice fall colorful days and cool nights.

Labor Day weekend isn't a big weekend for Yellowstone. Traveling families are already back home for school. It's not vacation time like the July and August are. The parks at this time will be retirees and foreigners.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you everyone for your Advice ...

After looking at the calendar just began to wonder, our trip dates were changed twice due to extended family events, so we are firm on the dates now. But then began to wonder at whether we were going to Yellowstone too late ..

We will leave Idaho Falls and be on route for home.

AND thank you so very much for that website for the weather .. that is fantastic, and no had not known this before. Of course, Hubby said he had a similar site on his smart phone .. but as for me still use the old-fashioned laptop ...

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coming West after being in the East, route Hardin, Mt, to Bozeman, and West Yellowstone.

Forgot to preface this saying we do have Reservations:

Fishing Bridge Campground - 9/03 depart 09/07
Coulter Bay - 09/07-depart 09/09

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
If you are only going to stay in Grand Teton for two days, you will probably be ok without power, as long as you have good battery(Ies) and are frugal with your electrical use. We go up to Grand Teton about three times a year and stay at the Colter Bay Campground(almost all not power) and usually get about five days out of our battery bank before starting to use the generator. There is one loop in the Colter Bay Campground that has power, but it has most of it's spots set aside for folks with special electrical needs. However, you can get a spot later in the day since they usually free them up a little later in the day, after 2 or 3, if I remember correctly. Gros Ventre Campground is another on that has special power places like Colter Bay, but it's further away from Jackson Lake, so not as convenient, in my opinion, to the majority of the Park. There's always a chance of somewhat bad weather, but you just have to be prepared with coats, etc. After all, you are in the mountains in the late summer and it can rain or snow at almost any time. It's also a very beautiful time with the leaves starting to turn and nowhere near as many tourists so crowds are not a problem. Colter Bay RV has full hookups, but in 50 years of going to Colter Bay, we have never not seen a "FULL" sign posted at the entrance of the RV park. However, give them a call and see if you might get a spot, it's still pretty early in the year. Sorry, I don't have a number for them.
John A. Lichty

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I too bet it is full already we stayed there 9/14 to 9/20 last year the last days it was open and it was full
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been in the Park several times around that time, not FB, it's a great time. If you look at the NP web and click on the CG you may find that all of the sites are already booked. Just keep checking back for cancellations.
Last year I could not get into Madison as it was full.
The temps can be cool at night but days are warm.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to Weatherbase. There's no guarantee for a particular date, but it shows historic weather averages by city within state by month over several years. Its free. I've posted this many times. I would have thought everyone on this forum would have added it to their favorites by now.
As you browse through the list, you'll notice that altitude above sea level has a lot to do with the weather.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We were there for five days after Labor Day in 2013 and enjoyed ideal sunny weather most days, not cold until nighttime. We were glad to have the electric hookup for our space heater, but temps were not below freezing. Your mileage may vary of course.

Services were still operating through mid-September, main exception was the cowboy cookout at Roosevelt Lodge had ended its season.

We then moved to Grand Teton and had hookups at Colter Bay Village RV park. Same great weather for raft float trip.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
The only suggestion I would make is that you make a reservation for Fishing Bridge Campground now, if it is possible. Lots of people will be there over Labor Day Weekend and without one you may not get a spot to park.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

MattINW
Explorer
Explorer
Labor day isn't too late to stay at Fishing Bridge. But you are cutting it close, don't go more than a week or 3 after Labor day or some things will be closed. ๐Ÿ™‚
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

For Grand Tetons, this link might be helpful for campgrounds with power if you'd prefer that. http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Matt
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS 5th wheel
1991 F350 7.3 Diesel Crew Cab
1998 32' Georgie Boy Cruise Master (1st RV, got 4/2013) - SOLD 5/2016