cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Madison CG to Cody Day trip

I was wondering if anyone ever done a day trip from Yellowstone Madison campground inside the park to Cody? I read about a big grade between the two, anyone tell me about that? Thank You
17 REPLIES 17

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I do have some compassion for you regarding steep assents and descents being as how the highest point on the FL Penn is only 312 feet. Our home in Los Angeles is about 900 feet in elevation and most folks feel it is a steep and windy drive up here.

I also think you're going to miss out on a lot of fantastic locals without learning to drive in the mountains. Brakes and compression will keep you safe and the speed down without any odors from the car. Come on you can do it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bukhrn wrote:
There is a tunnel just West of Cody, at the Buffalo Bill Dam, but as I said, it's of no consequence, RV's of all sizes & descriptions use it all the time.

Ok great, thank you

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a tunnel just West of Cody, at the Buffalo Bill Dam, but as I said, it's of no consequence, RV's of all sizes & descriptions use it all the time.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll give it a swirl, its not like we get a chance to make it out there that much ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might have missed my above link but here it is again and it describes all the highways coming into Yellowstone.

Whoever you talked to might have been talking about the 'NORTHEAST' entrance - Beartooth Highway. You would definitely not like that one with a RV, although it's a gorgeous drive in a vehicle.

To Cody, you would be driving the 'EAST' entrance which is nothing like the Northeast one. I really don't think you'll have an issue with it. Also, Cody deserves at least two days of stay. Yellowstone Valley RV is on the right along the main highway not far from the town of Cody. It's in a beautiful area and is nice and quiet as opposed to staying right in Cody. It has a nice reasonable restaurant.

I can't recall a tunnel for either of them so I wonder if this person was talking about the Zion Nat'l Park tunnel and steep grade.

Here's the link again for the highway descriptions:

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tunnel is no problem, (width or height), the grade isn't a problem either, take two days to spend in Cody, a lot more to see than just the Museum.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there is a tunnel near Cody and is not a problem. Pleanty high and no restrictions. Yes, there is a down grade leaving Yellowstone and it is not really a problem. Just use your lower gears and you will do just fine. Hundreds of RV's drive that road every day. There are several very nice RV parks in and around Cody, also a big Walmart.

Just allocate the time and go. It is quite the place to check out. The Buffalo Bill museum is worth a whole day alone.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

jalichty wrote:
If you are doing a day trip, why are you pulling the TT? Without the TT, it's still a pretty long trip that will take most of the day. Leave very early in the morning, 6:00 am or so and go to Cody. Then, after you get done with your sightseeing in Cody, it's a long trip back and will take you three or so hours. So, plan on a full day away from camp, but it will be worth it to see the Buffalo Bill Museum and other things Cody has to offer.

Well I was trying to decide if I could do it as a day trip first but it sounds as tho it would be a very long day so then I started contemplating on pulling my TT over and just staying a night there in Cody before starting back home. While researching on another site I came across someone talking about a tunnel and a very steep grade near the East gate. That's why I was asking, sorry if I confused anyone, I'm confused myself.

longdrive
Explorer
Explorer
I camped in Cody and drove to the part each day. Long drive, but very nice views. Lots of coffee each way. Grade is not that bad. Saw lots of class A, 5er's and TT going both ways.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
If you are doing a day trip, why are you pulling the TT? Without the TT, it's still a pretty long trip that will take most of the day. Leave very early in the morning, 6:00 am or so and go to Cody. Then, after you get done with your sightseeing in Cody, it's a long trip back and will take you three or so hours. So, plan on a full day away from camp, but it will be worth it to see the Buffalo Bill Museum and other things Cody has to offer.
John A. Lichty

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that going down you need to get in low gear before you start going down - not try to do it midway. If you're in the proper gear you shouldn't have to use the brakes much, if at all.

I think by the time you get to Yellowstone you'll be a pro!!! Many, many RVers drive the mountains in all kinds of vehicles. You'll do just fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

After your trip be sure to come back and tell us how it went.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
floridacamper wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm just a little paranoid about pulling a TT up there. More so going down a steep grade than going up. I've been in the Smokies and I've smelt many of brakes getting hot. Not mine cause I don't pull my TT up there and when I did I always made sure I didn't have any steep roads in my plans. But it looks like I wont have a choice up there.

You will be in the Rockies - not the Smokies - real mountains, and to avoid them is not easy but to learn how to drive in them is really not that hard.

The trip will take between 3 and 4 hours one way so you really will be on the road most of the day - I'd look at relocating and pulling the trailer. The fact is it is one of the most traveled routes used by visitors to the park, so it is very doable with your rig.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies wrote:
As stated, it is doable but would be a very long day. Plan to leave Madison by 8am and leave Cody before it starts getting dark.

This link gives an excellent description of all the roads leading into Yellowstone:

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

thanks for that site, Ill give it a good look

Thanks guys, I'm just a little paranoid about pulling a TT up there. More so going down a steep grade than going up. I've been in the Smokies and I've smelt many of brakes getting hot. Not mine cause I don't pull my TT up there and when I did I always made sure I didn't have any steep roads in my plans. But it looks like I wont have a choice up there.