Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
To profdant139 and rjxj -- thanks for letting me know the photo didn't appear. Strange -- it shows when I open the post. And rjxi, thanks for that link. That's what I've used to edit my post above. Also here is a clickable link to the photo in 'google drive'.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7oHtCfBr0PvMkt0S09fbjdubFE

Edit -- more info:

If you're considering an island trip, we bought this book:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-471/Vancouver-Island-BC---Victoria%26-Gulf-Islands?gclid=Cj0KEQjw...

It shows all the backcountry RV sites -- both fully serviced and remote non-serviced. It's quite valuable -- my wife and I will go for a half dozen island trips per year, using this book to find new places.

On the north half of the island, there are numerous tiny remote forestry sites, usually with no charge, on a 'first come -- first serve' basis. Many of the larger northern lakes seem to have one (or two). Few if any of them, have full service.

In the map below, west of Campbell River, my pic is located at the arrow. Inside the large red circle, are at least 30 sites with some form of remote campsite available.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Old Islander wrote:
Mid Vancouver Island, Lower Campbell Lake near the Strathcona dam; it's a remote BC Hydro forestry campsite.

I cant see the photo but This may help with the photo.

Click select
Choose pic from computer or whatever
Highlight stuff that appears in box and copy it
Paste it directly on this page

No need to use any of the little icons up above

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Islander, let us know if you need help in posting the photo -- I am very interested in pictures of that area!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Mid Vancouver Island, Lower Campbell Lake near the Strathcona dam; it's a remote BC Hydro forestry campsite.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo Muchacho Mountains along Ogilby Rd Socal. Looking down on the boondockinng area with Ogilby Rd and Imperial Dunnes near the top of the pic.

American Girl open pit mine

Terlingua Tx

Terlingua Ranch

La Sal Mountains near Moab Ut

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, profdant139! Kennewick (Tri-Cities) is basically high desert, if you weren't aware. And slowly becoming an urban desert!! We tend to do the mountains and woods mostly, but do at times find nice dry spots nearby!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Washington always looks so green and cool -- coming from an urban desert, we really appreciate the lush vegetation whenever we head up to the North Cascades. Thanks for posting those photos!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Near Winthrop, WA in the Okanogan-Wenatchee Nat Forest:

Beth Lake, also in Okanogan-Wenatchee NF:

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smaller RV and enjoy "urban boondocking", Charleston, SC is a very RV-friendly place. Here is our Roadtrek on Murray Street, with the Ashley River on our side of the street, and multi-million dollar homes (some of them can be called mansions) on the other side of the street. No signs prohibiting overnight parking on this section of Murray Street. Charleston is a very walkable city, and the historic downtown section isn't too far.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Mothers Day Weekend in the NF near La Grande, OR. Of course, it was fairly nice upon leaving for the homestead!!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm envious.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Easter weekend in Pike National Forest. Beautiful weather, peace, and quiet!

2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Last week in Pike National Forest in Colorado. What a great time!

2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess when it is 120 degrees there in summer I can sit back and enjoy my temps here.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
You guys suck with your lack of snow!! Soon, soon.

Last day of winter and I think it hit 91
I need some wild