cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion National Park

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
My son wants to take his TT to Zion and we will most likely tag along in our MH. The problem is he can only get off work in mid July. He wants to stay at Watchman CG. I know it will probably be hot. Any comments on if this is feasible of not or should I convince him somewhere else would be cooler? If so where?
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus
8 REPLIES 8

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Breaks is up there. We were in the area last spring and drove past on our way through to Cedar City and down to the Kolob Canyons area. It was the second half of April and still lots of snow up there. The road up to there, UT14, was a very scenic drive, but i wouldn't take my rig up there. Want to go back and spend a day at CB, but we'll base somewhere easier to get in and out of.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
fireman93514 wrote:
My son wants to take his TT to Zion and we will most likely tag along in our MH. The problem is he can only get off work in mid July. He wants to stay at Watchman CG. I know it will probably be hot. Any comments on if this is feasible of not or should I convince him somewhere else would be cooler? If so where?

Both NP are high traffic parks during the summer months,so if you want to stay at Watchman make your reservations ASAP, their other campground is a first come first served situation. Both parks are a must see with their own unique geology and several days can be devoted to both parks. I suggest going to Truck Camper Trip Reports link in my signature, there are several trip reports posted with photos and videos on both parks and other close attractions.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Bryce in July -- this is the "Silent City," at over 8000 feet -- nice and cool most of the time:

Or, if you really want some cool altitude, try Cedar Breaks at over 10,000 feet!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Watchman campground in the park is an excellent place to stay. It has electric and water and dump facilities. There are plenty of trees for shade. It's an easy walk to the visitor center and catching the shuttle bus. Anywhere around Zion is going to be hot.

However, Bryce National Park will have very pleasant weather because it's much higher in elevation. The campgrounds inside the park don't have electric but there is shade and again, it's not that hot. Right outside the national park is Ruby's which is a full-service facility with camping, restaurants, laundry, fuel. They have full hookups.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have always reserved a 50 amp sight in Watchman. You may need air during the day, but it cools of at sunset.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Watchman has electric.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Zion Canyon Campground is a FHU private RV Park that is actually right across the Virgin River from Watchman though a little over a mile away by road. It's in Springdale and a town shuttle picks up right in front that runs to the park gate and through the rest of Springdale.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Down in the canyon it shouldn't be too bad. We have been there several times. Yes, maybe at Watchman campground it may get a little warm. With hookups and AC it should be livable. Upper canyon is cooler.
Weather chart

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker