cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 Volt Receptacle on TT

exgman1
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening, I'm brand-new to this forum and appreciate your patience until I learn the rules. I'd like to install a 12 volt/cigarette lighter-type receptacle on the rear of my TT. From time to time I need a 12 volt work light, etc., at the rear of the trailer. It's a 2009, 29' aluminum Jayco G2 Jay Flight Series (all season) trailer. Any and all suggestions, positive and/or negative will be appreciated. Thank you.
Mike, Lauri, & Cool Hand Luke (the Boxer) Griffin
Brevard County, FL
2009 Jayco G2 29' Travel Trailer
Towed by Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel P/U Truck
20 REPLIES 20

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Most cigarette type lighters are rated for about 10 amps, 15 amps may work depending on what you buy. Use at least #14 wire, but #12 would be better.

How you mount it would depend on your TT.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I've added 4 12 volt receptacles.

1 in bedroom to charge phones.
2 in living area, one to feed 150 watt sine wave inverter, one to feed 12 volts for our home phone.
1 in one of the storage compartments.

3 are wired to spare fuses in the distribution panel with a pair of #14 wire each: + to fuse - to common block. The one that is used for the inverter is wired (through an inline fuse) directly to the battery with pair of #10 wire + to battery, - to common negative block in battery compartment.

Very simple to do.

Regards,
Doug

exgman1
Explorer
Explorer
hmknightnc, Thank you very much for the info. What is your suggestion as to where and how I would mount the receptacle to the trailer? You mentioned a convenient place but I'm clueless as to where. The bumper, drill through the trailer skin, etc.??, I'm baffled at my own ignorance. Also what gauge wire would you suggest that I use since it will be at least 29' to the battery? Before I became a senior citizen many years ago, I think that I could have figured it out. I'm embarrassed. Have a good evening and thank you.
Brevard County, FL

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a marine supply shop and get a marine rated 12volt power point. Run a positve line from your battery under the trailer to the rear. Attach power point to convienent place. Hook up positive line. Hook negative to frame of trailer. Make sure you use good marine rated components and sealant since it is exposed to the elements. Fuse the hot line a couple inches from battery.

exgman1
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg, Primarily on the outside. I should have been more specific. Plus, at night, if disabled, I could plug in a 12 volt strobe type light as an additional source of recognition/warning from oncoming traffic.
Brevard County, FL

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Work light, inside or outside?
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE